+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificates for Citizenship

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
Hi Raj and all forum members,

My case is as follows:

1) I landed Canada on 11/04/2017 on visitor + work permit then applied for PR from inside Canada.

2) Became PR holder on 15/02/2018 ( so living 10 months in Canada prior to became PR holder)

3) Now applying for Citizenship on 25/10/2020 ( more than 1095 days of eligibility)

4) For PCC, the past 4 years for me starts from 25/10/2016 to 25/10/2020

in this period

a) 25 /10 /2016 to 11/04/2017 I was in India ( home country) ---> max 170 days in India prior to landed in Canada on Visitor, not PR holder.

b) 11/04/2017 to 15/02/2018 ----> on visitor + work permit then applied for PR from inside Canada, so living 10 months in Canada prior to becoming PR holder.

c) 15/02/2018 to 25/10/2020 ( citizenship appl date) -----> living as PR holder in Canada.

In the above case Do I need a Police certificate from India???

As they are saying " You don't need PCC if you were there in your country of origin (birth country---> for me India) prior to becoming PR holder and landing"

but I was in Canada only not in my country of origin prior to becoming PR holder & landing. ( tht's making confusion).

I have an old PCC date 24th Sep 2017 which I used for PR application, Can I use this as I never visited India again after 11/04/2017.

Please suggest & throw light on it.

Regards

nathaniel_d

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi Raj and all forum members,

My case is as follows:

1) I landed Canada on 11/04/2017 on visitor + work permit then applied for PR from inside Canada.

2) Became PR holder on 15/02/2018 ( so living 10 months in Canada prior to became PR holder)

3) Now applying for Citizenship on 25/10/2020 ( more than 1095 days of eligibility)

4) For PCC, the past 4 years for me starts from 25/10/2016 to 25/10/2020

in this period

a) 25 /10 /2016 to 11/04/2017 I was in India ( home country) ---> max 170 days in India prior to landed in Canada on Visitor, not PR holder (You are required to submit PCC).

b) 11/04/2017 to 15/02/2018 ----> on visitor + work permit then applied for PR from inside Canada, so living 10 months in Canada prior to becoming PR holder.

c) 15/02/2018 to 25/10/2020 ( citizenship appl date) -----> living as PR holder in Canada.

In the above case Do I need a Police certificate from India???

As they are saying " You don't need PCC if you were there in your country of origin (birth country---> for me India) prior to becoming PR holder and landing"

but I was in Canada only not in my country of origin prior to becoming PR holder & landing. ( tht's making confusion).

I have an old PCC date 24th Sep 2017 which I used for PR application, Can I use this as I never visited India again after 11/04/2017 (You Can use if you did not stay more than Six months after this period- But You have to attached Original PCC)..

Please suggest & throw light on it.

Regards

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
Thanks nathaniel_d for your quick reply.

I dint get clearly on this--->(You Can use if you did not stay more than Six months after this period- But You have to attached Original PCC)..

more than 6 months after which period ?? and where ???

arun1990

Nov 19, 2015
Visa Office......
Sydney/new delhi
NOC Code......
Noc B
App. Filed.......
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2015
File Transfer...
18-4-2016
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
6-1-2016
Passport Req..
God knows
VISA ISSUED...
God knows
LANDED..........
2-1-2012
Hi members. I was on a work permit in Canada from 2014 Jan to 2015 June. I went back to India in 2015 June. In 2017 June I came back Canada as a PR, so in this situation do I need to submit pcc while applying citizenship?

nathaniel_d

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Thanks nathaniel_d for your quick reply.

I dint get clearly on this--->(You Can use if you did not stay more than Six months after this period- But You have to attached Original PCC)..

more than 6 months after which period ?? and where ???
Original PCC must be submitted with Citizenship Application- Photocopies are not allowed. I am not sure, whether you have photocopy or original. Also, after PCC issue date, Have you stayed more than 6 months, If yes, then you need get latest one. I hope this clarifies what i mean

nathaniel_d

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi members. I was on a work permit in Canada from 2014 Jan to 2015 June. I went back to India in 2015 June. In 2017 June I came back Canada as a PR, so in this situation do I need to submit pcc while applying citizenship?
Please refer below link as CIC

Police certificate(s)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row - I believe you were in India from 2015 June - 2017 June which is more than 6 months - Yes - You are required to provide PCC from India
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

flyingpbandj

Jan 31, 2018
Coquitlam, BC
Please refer below link as CIC

Police certificate(s)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row - I believe you were in India from 2015 June - 2017 June which is more than 6 months - Yes - You are required to provide PCC from India
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.
That's not necessarily true. If India was your country of origin, then you won't need to submit a police certificate. From the same link provided above:

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

Reactions: carl321

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
Original PCC must be submitted with Citizenship Application- Photocopies are not allowed. I am not sure, whether you have photocopy or original. Also, after PCC issue date, Have you stayed more than 6 months, If yes, then you need get latest one. I hope this clarifies what i mean

1) I landed on Canada on Visitor+Work Permit on 11/04/2017 before that I was in India.

2) Never visited and stayed any other country after landing in Canada i.e. after 11/04/2017 for more than 183 days.

3) Got PCC dated 24th Sep 2017 and submitted online scanned color copy for PR application and I have Original one with me.

After getting PCC I further stayed in Canada until now , did not visited/ stayed more than 183 days any other country than Canada.

4) Became PR holder on 15/02/2018 ( so lived 10 months in Canada prior to became PR holder)

so need new PCC??

flyingpbandj

Jan 31, 2018
Coquitlam, BC
1) I landed on Canada on Visitor+Work Permit on 11/04/2017 before that I was in India.

2) Never visited and stayed any other country after landing in Canada i.e. after 11/04/2017 for more than 183 days.

3) Got PCC dated 24th Sep 2017 and submitted online scanned color copy for PR application and I have Original one with me.

After getting PCC I further stayed in Canada until now , did not visited/ stayed more than 183 days any other country than Canada.

4) Became PR holder on 15/02/2018 ( so lived 10 months in Canada prior to became PR holder)

so need new PCC??
You do not need a police certificate if the only country where you've stayed for more than 183 in the last 4 years was your country of origin right before becoming PR.

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized that you arrived to Canada as a visitor. In that case, you can submit the same old PCC as the guide also mentions the following:

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued
  • after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
As your police certificate is from 24/09/2017, and you left India on 11/04/2017, the PCC was submitted after the last time you were in India, and is valid for your Citizenship application.

Last edited:

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
You do not need a police certificate if the only country where you've stayed for more than 183 in the last 4 years was your country of origin right before becoming PR.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized that you arrived to Canada as a visitor. In that case, you can submit the same old PCC as the guide also mentions the following:

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued
  • after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
As your police certificate is from 24/09/2017, and you left India on 11/04/2017, the PCC was submitted after the last time you were in India, and is valid for your Citizenship application.
Thanks flyingpbandj for taking time to read my query and your quick reply on it.

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
Do I need to correct Original entry date in COPR now while applying Citizenship?? ( This is case of my husband)

He first entered in Canada on 20/03/2016 on work permit but in his COPR its shown 10/08/2016 , as we were moved out of Canada on vacation for 7 days and entered on 10/08/2016. Officer by mistakenly took this date instead of 20/03/2016.

I asked that time (at border while landing process ) to officer about wrong entry date to officer but he said no problem, no need to change.

Though its not impacting his any eligibility requirement for citizenship, (physical presence calc etc...)

Do I need to fill form while applying citizenship??
"IMM-1436" --> "REQUEST TO AMEND VALID TEMPORARY RESIDENT DOCUMENTS OR INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE " ??

Is it really need to correct this date now while applying Citizenship??? What is impact if will directly apply for citizenship without correcting it.

Your kind suggestion will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
@Nimriti to me though you haven't travelled or stayed more than 180 days after you became PR, to me its better to submit PCC again as the old one is expired and you can't use the old one to submit during your application process.

Generally the PCC should not be older than 6 months at the time of submitting application. Its better to go the embassy and get the new Issued or from BLS International Canada
thnx rallabandi for your kind suggestion.

hambousha

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks a lot, I’ll see if others have similar experiences.
So what if you went for a visit ? do you still need toget one?

Also are you sure if you did no go there and you have just stayed in Canada, would the old PCC be enough?

Thanks

raghav30389

Star Member
Aug 6, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
My wife entered Canada from India (country of origin) as a visitor and in one month, both of us landed as PR from within Canada (flagpoled). Does she have to provide PCC from India in this case? Technically, she was in Canada immediately before becoming PR but besides Canada, the only other country she was at is India which is her country of origin.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My wife entered Canada from India (country of origin) as a visitor and in one month, both of us landed as PR from within Canada (flagpoled). Does she have to provide PCC from India in this case? Technically, she was in Canada immediately before becoming PR but besides Canada, the only other country she was at is India which is her country of origin.
Hi, I did the same thing your wife did. I did not submit additional PCC from my home country. I only mentioned I submitted PCC with my PR application. I did not have any issues. Now waiting for oath invite.