+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate Requirement for Post C6

titin

Jun 6, 2014
Hello,

I am wondering if the requirement for police certificate will be changed after C6 is implemented. Currently if we were present for a total of 183 days or more in the four years immediately before the date of our application, we will need to provide police certificate from each country we were outside of Canada. I want to know if it will be changed to THREE years immediately before the date of our application. It stays FOUR years, then I want to apply for US FBI police certificate soon (it takes several months to get the FBI police certificate). But if it will be changed to THREE years, then I won't need to apply for the certificate.

I called the local police department in New Brunswick today and they told me that to do the fingerprint for the police certificate, they will charge me CAN$46.

If you have any information regarding this rule, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Titin

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
bill C6 is not yet implemented, I highly doubt they will get rid of police reports requirement because they always required before even c24 & c6. Don't take chances of application return & delays and get all documents that asap.

titin

Jun 6, 2014
bill C6 is not yet implemented, I highly doubt they will get rid of police reports requirement because they always required before even c24 & c6. Don't take chances of application return & delays and get all documents that asap.
Thanks! But I was not asking if they will get rid of police reports. I was asking if currently FOUR year before the application outside of Canada will be changed to three years outside of Canada before the application. My logic is that since it will be changed from 4/6 to 3/5, the prior years before the application outside of the Canada for police certificate requirement might be changed to three years.

Currently rule is as follows:

You are required to provide a police certificate for each country, other than Canada, where you were present for a total of 183 days or more during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application.

If this four years changed to 3 years, I will not need any of the police certificate. Four years ago, I lived in the United States but I haven't been to US for more than 183 days since three years ago.

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
Thanks! But I was not asking if they will get rid of police reports. I was asking if currently FOUR year before the application outside of Canada will be changed to three years outside of Canada before the application. My logic is that since it will be changed from 4/6 to 3/5, the prior years before the application outside of the Canada for police certificate requirement might be changed to three years.

Currently rule is as follows:

You are required to provide a police certificate for each country, other than Canada, where you were present for a total of 183 days or more during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application.

If this four years changed to 3 years, I will not need any of the police certificate. Four years ago, I lived in the United States but I haven't been to US for more than 183 days since three years ago.
Currently they are updating c6 behind closed doors working on (bureaucratic red tapes like this), realistically we will know when c6 its implemented in fall (after sep-22), if you can't wait call IRCC. Everything else is speculation. It's very possible we know all requirements 1 month before implementations and call centre officers informed.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It is not true that police certificates were required for citizenship applications prior to Bill C-24.

Bill C-24 added the prohibition for criminal convictions outside Canada. Before that, crimes committed outside Canada could only result in a prohibition if they amounted to grounds for inadmissibility for organized criminal activity or other comparably serious security grounds.

With the addition of the prohibition based on any conviction for an offence which would constitute an indictable offence if committed in Canada, the Harper government amended the application form to add the requirement for police certificates from applicants spending six months or more, during the four years prior to applying, in any country, in effect requiring applicants who spent that amount of time in a country to prove, by submitting a police certificate, they have no convictions in such a country.

titin said:
I am wondering if the requirement for police certificate will be changed after C6 is implemented. Currently if we were present for a total of 183 days or more in the four years immediately before the date of our application, we will need to provide police certificate from each country we were outside of Canada. I want to know if it will be changed to THREE years immediately before the date of our application.
I believe I responded to this same query in another topic, if I recall correctly. In any event, Bill C-6 did not amend the prohibition for foreign convictions, so the relevant time period remains four years.

That does not dictate whether the current government might change who is required to submit a police certificate, but my guess is this is not something that will change (and after all, this could have been changed administratively anytime, no need for Bill C-6 to be adopted).

Reactions: titin

titin

Jun 6, 2014
I believe I responded to this same query in another topic, if I recall correctly. In any event, Bill C-6 did not amend the prohibition for foreign convictions, so the relevant time period remains four years.
dpendabill, thank you for your detailed information. For the police certificate, do we need to provide the newest certificate? I was in the US in 2014 and applied for a couple of FBI police certificates with the results dated in Nov, 2014. Can I use those official certificates for the citizenship purpose? Or do I need new certificate? How long are the police certificates good for?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dpendabill, thank you for your detailed information. For the police certificate, do we need to provide the newest certificate? I was in the US in 2014 and applied for a couple of FBI police certificates with the results dated in Nov, 2014. Can I use those official certificates for the citizenship purpose? Or do I need new certificate? How long are the police certificates good for?
With the caveat that I am no expert and am not qualified to give personal advice:

Generally IRCC wants police certificates which have been issued within the preceding six months.

For PR visa applications, a police certificate that has been issued since the last date the applicant lived in that country will suffice. It is not likely this applies the same way for citizenship applicants.

My sense is that an applicant who needs to submit a police certificate should submit one that has been issued within the last six months or since the last time the applicant was in that country.

Thus, for example, if it has been two years since the last time the applicant was in that country, a police certificate issued within the last two years will suffice.

If the applicant has been in that country recently, then as long as the police certificate was issued within the last six months that should suffice.

A longer explanation:

I have not seen detailed instructions specifying how current police certificates need to be for citizenship applications in particular.

The IRCC PDI "How to get a police certificate"

There are multiple IRCC webpages with this title. One is general information about obtaining a police certificate, another is the page containing links to country specific information (an index of sorts), and the others are the particular webpages for specific information as to the respective countries.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp for general information about obtaining police certificates

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp for the index/links to specific country information

The IRCC PDIs for police certificates are primarily about those needed for a PR visa application. Note, for example, the reference to citizenship applicants in the general information I linked above, that begins by stating that when a person applies for citizenship, that person and his or her family members must include a police certificate, which is simply way overly broad, since most citizenship applicants do not need to submit a police certificate and even those who do need to provide a police certificate do not need to have certificates submitted for family members (though family members applying together may each, individually, be required to submit a police certificate).

Nonetheless, even though the part of the guideline which describes "Who needs a police certificate?" obviously is about PR visa applicants, not citizenship applicants, the following (quoted from the webpage emphasis added) probably applies in a very general sense, except maybe replace references about living there with "visiting" there:

"If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:
-- are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
-- have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

Again, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

I am not familiar with how strict IRCC currently is about this. In the past, even during the years Harper was PM, there was some flexibility in how this was applied. Mostly, however, within the parameters of what is reasonably practical.

My sense is that so long as the police certificate was issued AFTER the most recent stay (for any significant duration) in that country, that should suffice. I would not depend on the date when you last lived there if you have spent any significant amount of time in that country since then. Certificates in the citizenship context are about total time in a country, not about living in that country; moreover, a technicality is one thing and practicality is another, and remember an applicant can be asked to provide a police certificate for any country even if the amount of time spent there was less than six months.

Overall, the police certificate requirement is a collateral, evidentiary part of the application. So, again, what IRCC practically is asking for is more important than any technical interpretation of what is required. What IRCC needs, wants, is sufficient affirmation the applicant does not have charges pending in another country and within the last four years has not been convicted there for any offence. If IRCC has no concerns about foreign criminal charges, all is well. If IRCC is not persuaded there are no such concerns, that would lead to non-routine processing, potentially additional requests for more information or documentation, or further inquiries and perhaps investigation, meaning delays in process at the least.

All that said, no need to overthink these things.

For most applicants, whether a police certificate should be submitted is straight-forward and the certificate should be one issued within the previous six months. While an older one would be OK so long as it was issued since the last time the applicant was in that country, in practice few are likely to have such a certificate (if they have an older one it likely predates the last time the applicant was in country).

Again, I doubt this is something which is governed by technicalities, but more by what is practical. For example, there is probably more flexibility allowed regarding U.S. police certificates since the GCMS and RCMP background checks cover records in the U.S. NCIC/FBI databases. In contrast, one might anticipate elevated IRCC scrutiny and a more strict approach if it appears the applicant has regular, ongoing business ties in a country, and perhaps particularly more so for some countries.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Dear dpenabill,
thank you for your explanation, which is partly based on common sense. Sometimes, however, common sense does not prevail in these circumstances, but let's hope this is the case.

There is a question for which I am trying to find an answer, but without much luck so far. I have posted it on a few threads here, but nobody seems to have any reply.

The rule states that when applying for citizenship, the applicant should provide a police certificate for every country where they have been present for 183 or more days in the 4 years preceding the application date. However, there is no specific definition as to what "presence" actually means, and how it should be calculated.

With regards to the days of absence from Canada, the definition is very specific. Form CIT 0407 explains:

Example:
You leave Canada on July 5 and return to Canada on the same day; total number of days absent = 0
You leave Canada on July 5 and return to Canada on July 6; total number of days absent = 0
You leave Canada on July 5 and return to Canada on July 12; total number of days absent = 6

With regards to "presence" in a foreign country, the Instruction Guide on the CIC website provides different examples, but none of them provide a definite answer as to the definition of "presence":

Example 1

In the past four (4) years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.

Example 2

In the past four (4) years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted three (3) weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.

Example 3

In the past four (4) years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.

Example 4

In the past four (4) years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

But nowhere it is stated HOW the duration of a trip is calculated and/or how the days of presence in a foreign country should be calculated.

If you use the same principle that is used to calculate the absence from Canada and reverse it, it would appear that any day where a part of it is spent in a country counts as a presence in that country, so travel days count as "presence days" in both countries (provided that the travel lasts less than 24 hours).

I'm trying to figure it out, but no literature seems to exist. It should be possible to clarify this, as well as clarifying whether a transit in a country C airport while flying from country A to country B counts as "presence" in country C.

Anybody has any insight on this?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . Sometimes, however, common sense does not prevail in these circumstances . . .

There is a question for which I am trying to find an answer, but without much luck so far. I have posted it on a few threads here, but nobody seems to have any reply.

The rule states that when applying for citizenship, the applicant should provide a police certificate for every country where they have been present for 183 or more days in the 4 years preceding the application date. However, there is no specific definition as to what "presence" actually means, and how it should be calculated.

But nowhere it is stated HOW the duration of a trip is calculated and/or how the days of presence in a foreign country should be calculated.

I'm trying to figure it out, but no literature seems to exist. It should be possible to clarify this, as well as clarifying whether a transit in a country C airport while flying from country A to country B counts as "presence" in country C.

Do you seriously question how to answer Item 6.M. in the current application form? It is a yes or no question. No precise calculations necessary.

As you acknowledge, this query has been posed before. Frankly I doubted the sincerity of the query because it essentially poses a hypothetical based on a hyper-technical approach to what is a straight-forward request. So I did not respond. Moreover, others have responded and there is little reason to doubt what they suggested: if you are cutting-it-so-close you are not sure, check "yes" and include a proper police certificate (or an explanation as to why not).

In the meantime, there should be no mystery about what "presence" in another country means, the word's ordinary meaning is quite sufficient, particularly since that meaning is consistent with how IRCC now defines presence in Canada: any part of the day in Canada counts as a day in which one was present in Canada. And obviously a day partially present in Canada does not preclude that being a day also present in another country. Nothing confusing or incongruous about that.

Again, there is NO need to overthink these things.

Again, the police certificate requirement is a collateral, evidentiary part of the application, not a technical or substantive requirement. So, again, what IRCC practically is asking for is more important than any technical interpretation of what is requested or required.

What IRCC needs, wants, is to verify that the applicant:
-- has no charges pending in another country, and
-- has had no convictions in another country within the last four years

For the vast majority of applicants, checking no to items 8.D. and 8.I. (current application form) is sufficient to satisfy IRCC about this, to satisfy IRCC that the applicant
-- has no charges pending in another country, and
-- has had no convictions in another country within the last four years

For applicants who have spent an extended period of time in another country, IRCC further wants a police certificate to verify these things. The threshold IRCC has set, for which applicants must provide this with the application itself, is a total of six months.

But let's be clear: even if an applicant only spent six weeks in another country, way less than six months, IRCC can still request that the applicant provide a police certificate from that country. There is nothing inherently dispositive about 183 days, whether more, whether less.

Who must submit a police certificate when applying for citizenship is entirely an administrative decision. It is not prescribed by statute or regulation. It is not a technical requirement.

Beyond that, last thing an applicant wants to do other than overtly appearing to be deceptive, is to look like he or she is playing games or otherwise not being forthcoming. Appearances matter. Impressions matter.

There really is no reason to approach this item any other way than to count all days spent in a country, no matter how briefly, and honestly report yes or no depending on whether they total 183 or not. One might argue otherwise but it would be a fools argument, since any opportunity to make the argument would involve getting bogged down in non-routine processing (not good and slow), and IRCC can still require a police certificate anyway.

So by one arguably valid method of calculation, say you were only in a country for 176 days, is it worth the risk of making a bad impression to proceed on this basis when, after all, IRCC could still (after some delay getting to this stage) require you to submit a police certificate.

By the way, while common-sense plays an important role in navigating this stuff, my observations above are largely based on official and authoritative sources, including the relevant provisions in the Citizenship Act, particularly Subsection 22(3) for example, as well as the instruction guide, the application form itself, the checklist, and relevant PDIs, with some careful analysis of course, and contextual considerations based on experience and anecdotal reports, all focused on figuring out how things actually work.

It is true, common-sense only goes so far when dealing with a bureaucracy. In contrast, however, hyper-technical parsing tends to go nowhere.

In between, following and applying the instructions as best one can understand them, honestly and sincerely answering questions, and navigating the process based on what appears to actually work, is almost always the best approach. The yes or no response to item 6.M. does not require anything more complicated than adding up the number of days spent, however briefly, in another country.

aakash28

Jan 28, 2006
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th Oct 2010
AOR Received.
8th Feb 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
9th June 2011
Med's Request
18th July 2011
Med's Done....
1st August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
September 24th 2011; Submitted on October 11th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on November 14th 2011; PP received on December 4th 2011
LANDED..........
May 7th 2012
This may be a stupid question:

In last 4 years, I was not anywhere for 183 days beside Canada. So we need to collect Canadian police certificate? Or they can get clearance for this of their own since it's within Canada.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017

In last 4 years, I was not anywhere for 183 days beside Canada. So we need to collect Canadian police certificate? Or they can get clearance for this of their own since it's within Canada.
No, this only applies to other countries

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Do you seriously question how to answer Item 6.M. in the current application form? It is a yes or no question. No precise calculations necessary.

Thank you very much for your thorough reply, but there is absolutely no need to be this patronizing! Your "common sense" approach is the most sensible, but as I said before, common sense often goes out of the windows in these matters.

Your saying "if you are cutting it that close, you really should just get the certificate anyway" is much more easily said than done: some of these certificates are a nightmare to obtain, extremely difficult and time-consuming. It is not unfathomable to believe that someone will really want to know whether it is absolutely needed or not. Your saying "there is nothing inherently dispositive about 183 days", with all due respect, is just your opinion. If you read the sentence, the meaning is clear. Sure, IRCC can still ask for certificates at their leisure, but one thing is complying with their request, another is subjecting oneself to an unnecessary burden.

So, thank you again, but to use your own words "Appearances matter. Impressions matter". Believe me when I say that you did not give a good impression of yourself.

Have a nice day.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

There is no need to obtain or submit a Canadian police certificate.

Item 6.M. specifically asks the applicant to declare whether or not the applicant was present in a country "other than Canada" for a total of 183 days or more, and if "yes" is checked the applicant is instructed to provide a police certificate for that country.

Otherwise, yes, IRCC makes a referral to both the RCMP and CSIS for background clearances. Additionally, IRCC does a GCMS background check, and is supposed to do a GCMS check attendant every substantive action taken (so it is done when the application is initially screened and should be done again, at the least attendant the test and interview for example, and if the oath is scheduled separately, then again for the oath), and that check includes screening the applicant against record-name criminal history databases, and this ordinarily includes the U.S. NCIC/FBI name-record histories as well as the RCMP's.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
An Update:

A recent post in another topic illustrates, as I have previously cautioned, that the threshold of 183 days in another country is not a technical or fixed requirement, and that IRCC can require an applicant to submit a police certificate from ANY country even if the applicant spent way less than 183 days in that country.

During the interview the IO asked me to get a police certificate from the US (although my trips totaled no more than 33 days in the last four years). She marked a check requesting this certificate on a CIT0520 and handed it to me.
This report, however, is also interesting and warrants some attention given two salient aspects:
-- the amount of time in the other country was merely 33 days
-- the other country was the U.S., which is perhaps the country most often visited by PRs generally, and the most often second only to their home country by many if not most PRs individually

U.S police certificate:

The latter, that the police certificate required was for the U.S., was a surprise to me, given that the GCMS/FOSS background check (which IRCC does multiple times during the processing of a citizenship application) includes screening name records in the U.S. NCIC/FBI criminal history database. I previously expressed the sense that because of this, there might actually be more flexibility regarding who would need to submit U.S. police certificates.

. . . I doubt this is something which is governed by technicalities, but more by what is practical. For example, there is probably more flexibility allowed regarding U.S. police certificates since the GCMS and RCMP background checks cover records in the U.S. NCIC/FBI databases.
I should NOT have been surprised. In hindsight it makes sense. Name record checks are notorious for false-positive hits. Just the fact that the GCMS/FOSS check includes screening in the U.S. criminal history databases obviously increases the probabilities of a false-positive name record hit.

So perhaps it is the opposite of what I previously suggested: perhaps the possibility of being required to submit a police certificate is higher for the U.S. than most other countries even if the extent of travel there has been comparatively a lot less than 183 days.

. . . and remember an applicant can be asked to provide a police certificate for any country even if the amount of time spent there was less than six months.

33 days triggers requirement to submit police certificate:

The first salient aspect of this recent report was not a surprise to me. Just 33 days being enough to trigger the need to submit a police certificate.

While perhaps the amount of time spent in the other country is the factor which looms largest, there are clearly other factors and this illustrates that what triggers the requirement is not a technicality, and particularly not whether the applicant technically spent 183 days in the other country.

Indeed, this illustrates the ludicrousness of quibbling over whether a brief transit through a country needs to be counted, let alone days entering or exiting the country, in determining whether the total reaches 183 days. An attempt to low-ball it (not count transit or partial days, for example, to avoid reaching 183 total) might slide by, but the greater risk is not merely about the delay in processing if (might be more about when) the applicant is required to obtain and submit a police certificate. The greater risk is that this will raise concerns about the applicant's credibility, which can lead to more severe concerns, inconvenience, delay, and in some instances affect the outcome.

As I have attempted to illuminate previously, this is not merely about common sense. This is about understanding how the process actually works, how various factors can influence the process, and about approaching questions and instructions with a focus on understanding and being responsive to them, not second-guessing them, and especially not parsing them to justify omissions or evasive responses.

Ultimately I cannot offer any guidelines for anticipating being required to submit a police certificate for countries one has visited way less than a total of 183 days, other than recognizing, again, that IRCC can require the submission of a police certificate from any country the applicant has visited. In contrast, however, no advanced degrees in public policy and political science are necessary to readily discern that if the amount of time the applicant has spent in a given country can be calculated to be 183 or more days, check yes even if there is a plausible approach to calculating the days which would total something less than 183.

In the latter respect, the more difficult and time-consuming it would be to obtain a police certificate from the subject country is a factor which actually should influence the prospective applicant to make that effort and submit the police certificate with the application, rather than have it requested later leading to much, much longer delays. And if obtaining a police certificate would be inordinately difficult, or practically impossible, the applicant can still check yes and instead of sending a police certificate state an explanation in the box provided (no supplemental pages necessary) that the applicant cannot reasonably obtain such a certificate.

I suppose this is rather obvious, and perhaps for the vast majority may go without stating. But queries about this issue reveal some need more guidance than others. In this regard, however, as a general rule (which again is not about common sense but more about how these things actually work), if there is more than one way to interpret a question, it is rarely if ever a good idea to go with the interpretation which justifies an evasive response or otherwise omitting information which would be responsive to the other interpretation. It really is not about how a question technically can be interpreted, but about what information IRCC is asking for.

Alpina740

Jul 8, 2017
An Update:

A recent post in another topic illustrates, as I have previously cautioned, that the threshold of 183 days in another country is not a technical or fixed requirement, and that IRCC can require an applicant to submit a police certificate from ANY country even if the applicant spent way less than 183 days in that country.

This report, however, is also interesting and warrants some attention given two salient aspects:
-- the amount of time in the other country was merely 33 days
-- the other country was the U.S., which is perhaps the country most often visited by PRs generally, and the most often second only to their home country by many if not most PRs individually

U.S police certificate:

The latter, that the police certificate required was for the U.S., was a surprise to me, given that the GCMS/FOSS background check (which IRCC does multiple times during the processing of a citizenship application) includes screening name records in the U.S. NCIC/FBI criminal history database. I previously expressed the sense that because of this, there might actually be more flexibility regarding who would need to submit U.S. police certificates.

I should NOT have been surprised. In hindsight it makes sense. Name record checks are notorious for false-positive hits. Just the fact that the GCMS/FOSS check includes screening in the U.S. criminal history databases obviously increases the probabilities of a false-positive name record hit.

So perhaps it is the opposite of what I previously suggested: perhaps the possibility of being required to submit a police certificate is higher for the U.S. than most other countries even if the extent of travel there has been comparatively a lot less than 183 days.

33 days triggers requirement to submit police certificate:

The first salient aspect of this recent report was not a surprise to me. Just 33 days being enough to trigger the need to submit a police certificate.

While perhaps the amount of time spent in the other country is the factor which looms largest, there are clearly other factors and this illustrates that what triggers the requirement is not a technicality, and particularly not whether the applicant technically spent 183 days in the other country.

Indeed, this illustrates the ludicrousness of quibbling over whether a brief transit through a country needs to be counted, let alone days entering or exiting the country, in determining whether the total reaches 183 days. An attempt to low-ball it (not count transit or partial days, for example, to avoid reaching 183 total) might slide by, but the greater risk is not merely about the delay in processing if (might be more about when) the applicant is required to obtain and submit a police certificate. The greater risk is that this will raise concerns about the applicant's credibility, which can lead to more severe concerns, inconvenience, delay, and in some instances affect the outcome.

As I have attempted to illuminate previously, this is not merely about common sense. This is about understanding how the process actually works, how various factors can influence the process, and about approaching questions and instructions with a focus on understanding and being responsive to them, not second-guessing them, and especially not parsing them to justify omissions or evasive responses.

Ultimately I cannot offer any guidelines for anticipating being required to submit a police certificate for countries one has visited way less than a total of 183 days, other than recognizing, again, that IRCC can require the submission of a police certificate from any country the applicant has visited. In contrast, however, no advanced degrees in public policy and political science are necessary to readily discern that if the amount of time the applicant has spent in a given country can be calculated to be 183 or more days, check yes even if there is a plausible approach to calculating the days which would total something less than 183.

In the latter respect, the more difficult and time-consuming it would be to obtain a police certificate from the subject country is a factor which actually should influence the prospective applicant to make that effort and submit the police certificate with the application, rather than have it requested later leading to much, much longer delays. And if obtaining a police certificate would be inordinately difficult, or practically impossible, the applicant can still check yes and instead of sending a police certificate state an explanation in the box provided (no supplemental pages necessary) that the applicant cannot reasonably obtain such a certificate.

I suppose this is rather obvious, and perhaps for the vast majority may go without stating. But queries about this issue reveal some need more guidance than others. In this regard, however, as a general rule (which again is not about common sense but more about how these things actually work), if there is more than one way to interpret a question, it is rarely if ever a good idea to go with the interpretation which justifies an evasive response or otherwise omitting information which would be responsive to the other interpretation. It really is not about how a question technically can be interpreted, but about what information IRCC is asking for.
You need to be a little more subtle in your reponses. Retaliation in the form of filibustering might make you believe you are 1 step closer to being an attorney at law, but your excessive commas, bolds and parentheses take away all the fun.

"Probably, my sense, with the caveat,..." you keep using these so much and when you conclude you say you have "authoritative" and "official" sources. The reason the IO requested a US PC was that my degree was obtained at a US university, and my returns showed a dual filing of taxes (business related). If you had asked then I would've told you.

Lose your patronizing attitude. You're killing the fun !

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua1