+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! Question regarding Outland Spousal sponsorship and Work Permit

Jenny_1995

Dec 20, 2022
Hi,

I live in canada and I am a Canadian Citizen. I am getting married next month to my fiancée who stays in USA (on work visa). My fiancée's US work visa is expiring next year so, his company is transferring him to Canada and sponsoring him for work visa for Canada.

Meanwhile, next year start I am also planning to sponsor him for Permanent Residency. My question is :

1) I will be applying for his Outland spousal sponsorship application in February, and his Company will be applying for his Canadian Work visa in April - Is is okay? Can we apply for Work visa if we already have a outland PR application submitted ?

2) Does applying for Work permit after applying for Outland Spousal Sponsorship PR affect any application?

3) Is it okay to do Upfront medical exam for Spousal sponsorship ?

Thank you very very much !!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. He would not be eligible for an OWP with an Outland application. An Inland applicant is eligible for an Open Work Permit once they receive the AOR email (Acknowledgement of Receipt) that their Inland spousal sponsorship application has been received by IRCC. If, on the other hand, you are asking if a submitted Outland sponsorship application would be detrimental to his employer applying for his work permit...I would suspect not.

2. See above

3. Yes, but some have simply waited for IRCC to ask for it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If his employer is transferring him to Canada and handling his work permit (I hope that's what "sponsoring" means). Then he can just use that work permit and continue to work for his employer.

He doesn't really need an OWP. And since you plan to apply outland, he doesn't qualify to apply for an OWP.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
3) Is it okay to do Upfront medical exam for Spousal sponsorship ?
The instructions say to wait to do medical exam. I suggest doing that.

(you could go ahead if there's some strong reason, but if IRCC doesn't accept it for hwatever reason, or it gets delayed b/c of confusion , etc., etc, etc - it's your problem).