+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

fernan_gr

Jan 17, 2013
Hi all!

I will be landing in Canada in less than 3 weeks, and I need some help from you;

I have spent the whole day reading about the PGWP but there are certain things that are not clear;

It might be important to mention that I am from Spain, and therefore I dont need a visa to enter Canada; though I need a study permit to study.

I will be studying a 12 months masters, and therefore I will be given a 12 months PGWP. As I have read, after finishing graduation I will normally have 90 days to apply for the Post Graduation Working Visa. Now, my questions are:

1) Once I get the PGWP, is there any deadline to "use it"? I mean, imagine that I get the PGWP two months after graduation, but I have no job yet. If I get a Job 3 weeks after getting the permit... will the 12 months PGWP start counting on the day I start working or on the day the PGWP was issued?

2) Imagine that I apply for the PGWP, but before getting it, I go back to Spain. I spend 4 months in there, and my student visa expires. Also, imagine that a friend of mine send me a letter with my PGWP. Then, as I don't need a visa to enter Canada; can I enter Canada ONLY with my PGWP? Would this be possible? Or perhaps I dont event need the PGWP?

3) What if I am given the PGWP and right after that go back to Spain and spend 6 months in there?. Will I be able to come back to Canada showing that I was given a PGWP and that now Im coming back to the country because I want to find a job in there? Or do I need to find a job before entering?

I know there are lots of information regarding all these, but in my case, coming from a Visa Exempted Country all the information is a bit confusing.

Thank you so much for your help,

Fernando

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) The 12 months start date the PGWP is issued.
2) Yes - you will be able to come back.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
scylla said it right however I just want to add something here re: PGWP.

PGWP is same as any other permit (i.e. Study Permit) which lets you to work in Canada as a non-resident/non-Canadian. As long as you hold a valid work/study permit; you can enter/leave Canada as you like (you're from visa-exempt country). And a permit is valid from the day it's issued/stamped.

fernan_gr

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks Scylla, Rossei.

So, if I have understood it well, from the day that I get the PGWP it starts counting. So, if I don't get a job until 2 months later, and since my PGWP is for 12 months... in that case I would be entitled to work only for 10 months. Did I say it right?

This raises another question:

Since you have said that the PGWP starts counting on the day it is issued, and since I won't be granted more than 12 months of Work Permit.... Then, in order to apply for the CEC ( I need 12 months of full employment ), I should have gotten a job BEFORE getting the PGWP? That's the only way I can start working from the very same day I get the PGWP, isn't it?

Is it possible to get a job and then make then wait until I get the permit?

I believe this is a difficult thing to accomplish.... and therefore, if my intention was to obtain the PR status through the CEC, I should have applied for a Masters Program lasting more than 12 months. Please, correct me if Im wrong.

Is there anything I can do to gather more months? I have read that I can work off campus, but in many threads it is said that the only full time work that is valid is the one that you do once you start working with the PGWP.

Thanks again... :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - if you don't get a job until two months into your PGWP - then you will only be entitled to work 10 months on the PWGP.

Yes - you need 12 months of full time employment to qualify for CEC. And yes - this is the reason why you should take a two year program. A two year program will get you a 3 year PGWP and significantly increase the chances that you can meet the CEC criteria through working on the PGWP.

Whether is it possible to get a job and then make them wait until you have the permit is up to the individual employer. You would have to have that conversation with them to see if they can be that flexible.

Only work completed on the PGWP permit after you have convocated counts towards CEC. Work you complete on the off campus work permit will not count. You can continue working after your PGWP expires if your employer is willing to go through the LMO process - but not all employers are due to the costs, time, paperwork.

Your best bet is to take a 2 year program so that you qualify for the three year PGWP.

Goldik

Jan 19, 2013
Hi,
I have a question i need some clarifications too..
I live in Whitehorse in Canada,I want to apply for a PGWP, i graduated from a one year Early Childhood Program in May and my study permit expired in April but applied for it to be renewed in April. I got a new study permit last month and I have my certificate and transcripts which are some of the requirements for this work permit.. Am I going to have to pay extra since they said to apply within 90 days of graduation?
Thanks
Gold

Dr.Patel

Apr 23, 2013
Hello Everyone!!!
I have just received study permit, but my course is only of 1 year(Health Information MAnagement).
so, I found it difficult to get job and 1 year work experience in 1 year PGWP to make myself eligible for CEC.
As I know I don't need LMO if my spouse is enrolled in Full time study program. In this circumstances what are the chances that I will be granted EXTENSION of WP.
And if granted, will that work experience make me eligible for CEC?