+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - waiting for PR draw - how to extend

mukicookie

Star Member
Jan 24, 2022
I currently have 529 points for express entry - Waiting for the draw.

I am currently working on PGWP which expires in July . What are my options to stay in Canada and continue working if I don't get PR by then?

Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I currently have 529 points for express entry - Waiting for the draw.

I am currently working on PGWP which expires in July . What are my options to stay in Canada and continue working if I don't get PR by then?

Thanks
LMIA or LMIA exempt WP. No point in staying if you can't do those two. If your PGWP expires and you still haven't received your ITA - go home, chill a bit and then come back as a PR. The extra headache is not worth it.

Feb 15, 2023
  • Haha
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No dont listen to this advice, you can change your status to visitor and them apply for a workpermit as a visitor. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html I do suggest reaching out to lawyer and confirming this but its now official policy as per IRCC.
But OP needs an approved LMIA as per the link. Read the eligibility requirements. It just allows the OP to continue working while LMIA is being processed.

Feb 15, 2023
But OP needs an approved LMIA as per the link. Read the eligibility requirements. It just allows the OP to continue working while LMIA is being processed.
But he would fall under Interm conditions right as per the policy outlined below:

Eligibility requirements for interim authorization to work

In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria for the work permit, a former work permit holder who converted to visitor status may also be eligible for interim authorization to work if they meet all the following:

• have valid temporary resident status at the time of work permit application submission
  • held a valid work permit in the 12 months preceding the date on which they submitted their application for a work permit under this public policy, even though they are now only a visitor
  • intend to work for the employer and occupation specified by the LMIA or LMIA-exempt offer of employment included in their work permit application submitted under the public policy
  • have applied to IRCC for the interim authorization to work as per this public policy using the IRCC Web form
  • have requested that the authorization to work be applicable until a decision is made on their work permit application
  • will remain in Canada throughout the period during which their work permit application is being processed

Basically he just need a job offer letter.

• Haha

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
But he would fall under Interm conditions right as per the policy outlined below:

if they meet all the following:
  • intend to work for the employer and occupation specified by the LMIA or LMIA-exempt offer of employment included in their work permit application submitted under the public policy
Doesn't the ALL condition says that "LMIA or LMIA-exempt" offer?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Eligibility requirements for interim authorization to work

In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria for the work permit, a former work permit holder who converted to visitor status may also be eligible for interim authorization to work if they meet all the following:

• have valid temporary resident status at the time of work permit application submission
  • held a valid work permit in the 12 months preceding the date on which they submitted their application for a work permit under this public policy, even though they are now only a visitor
  • have applied to IRCC for the interim authorization to work as per this public policy using the IRCC Web form
  • have requested that the authorization to work be applicable until a decision is made on their work permit application
  • will remain in Canada throughout the period during which their work permit application is being processed

Basically he just need a job offer letter.
Must meet all of the conditions since you bolded “All of the following.” Need to meet bullet number 3 so cannot just apply for a work permit without a LMIA. LMIA exempt is specific situations like ICT, FTA or post doc.