+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expired, went back for Masters

komostati

May 7, 2017
Hi folks,

I couldn't find a similar case on the forum so here is my short straight to the point question:
  • I finished my undergrad in Ottawa in 2014
  • Got my post graduate work permit, couldn't find "real job", permit expired in 2017
  • Moved to Montreal and got a study permit (till June 2019) to finish Masters in Computer Engineering
Now the study permit ends in June:
  • Option 1: Apply to CSQ through the PEQ : But I will not have a status after June 2019. So should I stay on tourist visa until the I get the PR ?-assuming everything goes well, that's about 15 months of "tourisitng"!
  • Since I can't get another PGWP, is there any way I can obtain anther kind of work permit or some legit status other than tourist visa ?
I've been here for a while, a solution is needed!

Thanks guys

TIRATH67

Star Member
Oct 2, 2015
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. LIMA is the only option for you, if you want to stay in Canada as worker. There are really good chances you will get a job, because of your Master Degree. Good Luck.

komostati

May 7, 2017
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. LIMA is the only option for you, if you want to stay in Canada as worker. There are really good chances you will get a job, because of your Master Degree. Good Luck.
Thank you ! Will be working on the LMIA then. Much appreciated!

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
Hi folks,

I couldn't find a similar case on the forum so here is my short straight to the point question:
  • I finished my undergrad in Ottawa in 2014
  • Got my post graduate work permit, couldn't find "real job", permit expired in 2017
  • Moved to Montreal and got a study permit (till June 2019) to finish Masters in Computer Engineering
Now the study permit ends in June:
  • Option 1: Apply to CSQ through the PEQ : But I will not have a status after June 2019. So should I stay on tourist visa until the I get the PR ?-assuming everything goes well, that's about 15 months of "tourisitng"!
  • Since I can't get another PGWP, is there any way I can obtain anther kind of work permit or some legit status other than tourist visa ?
I've been here for a while, a solution is needed!

Thanks guys

Hi, did you have any issues getting a new study permit after your PGWP expired? How long was it issued for? Did you provide a bank statement showing that you can pay for your tuition? Sorry for the many questions. I'm also in the same boat and trying to get a study permit to extend my stay in Canada