+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and study permit

billysheng

Jan 14, 2015
Good afternoon, everyone. I am new here. I have finished my courses and waiting for the diploma from my college. My major is accounting, if your company need a bookkeeper, please feel to contact me~~~647-778-0129 or billysheng1006@gmail.com

Ok, let's come back to my question. My study permit will expire on MARCH 31, 2015. I guess i can get my diploma by the end of January. Since I am still looking for a permanent accounting related work, I do not want to submit my application of PGWP so early. I plan to do the application around middle March.

1)Must I get the PGWP before my study permit is expired?

2)If not, during the process of PGWP, what is my status in Canada and what can I do and what cannot I do? For example, I submit the application on Mar 31. Usually it takes CIC 2 or 3 weeks to finish the whole process. That means I will get the decision around April 15. I just want to know what my status is in Canada, what I can do and what I cannot do from April 1 to April 15. (Again, please pay attention that my study has expired during this time.)

Thank you very much for any kindly help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - you must apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires and within 90 days of completing your schooling.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

billysheng said:
Good afternoon, everyone. I am new here. I have finished my courses and waiting for the diploma from my college. My major is accounting, if your company need a bookkeeper, please feel to contact me~~~647-778-0129 or billysheng1006 @ gmail.com

Ok, let's come back to my question. My study permit will expire on MARCH 31, 2015. I guess i can get my diploma by the end of January. Since I am still looking for a permanent accounting related work, I do not want to submit my application of PGWP so early. I plan to do the application around middle March.

1)Must I get the PGWP before my study permit is expired?

2)If not, during the process of PGWP, what is my status in Canada and what can I do and what cannot I do? For example, I submit the application on Mar 31. Usually it takes CIC 2 or 3 weeks to finish the whole process. That means I will get the decision around April 15. I just want to know what my status is in Canada, what I can do and what I cannot do from April 1 to April 15. (Again, please pay attention that my study has expired during this time.)

Thank you very much for any kindly help.

2. You can work full time under implied status provided you have applied for a PGWP & waiting for the decision. If you leaves Canada while on implied status (student) and return back, you will not be able to work until the PGWP issued.

marcustito

Jul 13, 2012
J5M said:
Hi,

2. You can work full time under implied status provided you have applied for a PGWP & waiting for the decision. If you leaves Canada while on implied status (student) and return back, you will not be able to work until the PGWP issued.
Ok Let me see if I get it. My study permit will expire on September 30 and my college will end on April. I can work full-time with the study permit until september right? and then, in late August I will apply for the the PGWP.

Does the study permit counts hours for the CEC program?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

marcustito said:
Ok Let me see if I get it. My study permit will expire on September 30 and my college will end on April. I can work full-time with the study permit until september right? and then, in late August I will apply for the the PGWP.

Does the study permit counts hours for the CEC program?

Incorrect.

1. If you receive final transcripts (not degree) in April, you must apply for PGWP within 90 days (before July). Your permit will be invalid after 90 days of passing the course, it doesn't matter how long your study permit is valid.
2. You can work full time under implied status only after you put off PGWP application.

marcustito

Jul 13, 2012
J5M said:
Hi,

Incorrect.

1. If you receive final transcripts (not degree) in April, you must apply for PGWP within 90 days (before July). Your permit will be invalid after 90 days of passing the course, it doesn't matter how long your study permit is valid.
2. You can work full time under implied status only after you put off PGWP application.

Yeah but I can still work with my student permit when I finish the school because it is valid until september (according to my friend visa, because I´m going this september and she´s studying since september 2014). Yes, i will apply for the PGWP once I finish the couse, but I will wait a few weeks to do it, to look for jobs first.

billysheng

Jan 14, 2015
marcustito said:
Yeah but I can still work with my student permit when I finish the school because it is valid until september (according to my friend visa, because I´m going this september and she´s studying since september 2014). Yes, i will apply for the PGWP once I finish the couse, but I will wait a few weeks to do it, to look for jobs first.
No, im afraid you cannot. According to the new policy, you study permit will automatically become invalid 90 days after you get the diploma or something like that.

billysheng

Jan 14, 2015
scylla said:
1) Yes - you must apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires and within 90 days of completing your schooling.
Thank you for your reply, but I am still confused about the answer.

For question 1, I mean: Must I get the PGWP before the study permit expire? The word "Get" here, I think I just want to say get the permit, the paper, not applying for it. So my question 1 is "Must I get the approval from the CIC before my study permit expire?" Is that clearer for you?

So I guess your answer may apply to my second question. That is, I must submit the application, no matter online or by mail, before the study permit expires. As long as CIC has accepted my application and is processing it, it doesn't matter my study permit expires or not.

Is my understanding correct? In my case, I do not think we need to consider the 90 days...

Thank you and all the others for your kindly help and answer.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
billysheng said:
Thank you for your reply, but I am still confused about the answer.

For question 1, I mean: Must I get the PGWP before the study permit expire? The word "Get" here, I think I just want to say get the permit, the paper, not applying for it. So my question 1 is "Must I get the approval from the CIC before my study permit expire?" Is that clearer for you?

So I guess your answer may apply to my second question. That is, I must submit the application, no matter online or by mail, before the study permit expires. As long as CIC has accepted my application and is processing it, it doesn't matter my study permit expires or not.

Is my understanding correct? In my case, I do not think we need to consider the 90 days...

Thank you and all the others for your kindly help and answer.
Having a valid study permit is one of the requirements to apply for PGWP. So yes, it is when you apply for it, not when you receive it. You can be given the PGWP after the study permit expires, and that is still ok.

ymserver

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
Doc's Request.
12-08-2015 (HK Police cert)
AOR Received.
05-03-2015
File Transfer...
10-03-2015 (SA); 30-03-2015 (AOR2);
Med's Request
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015 (re-med)
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
02-11-2015 (DM2), no PPR
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2015 (COPR)
Just something to add:
Since you have finished your courses already (I assume in December), depending on your school, you may receive the diploma prior to April.
Your study permit will expire 90 days from the time you receive your diploma, so be aware when your diploma will be issued.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

ymserver said:
Just something to add:
Since you have finished your courses already (I assume in December), depending on your school, you may receive the diploma prior to April.
Your study permit will expire 90 days from the time you receive your diploma, so be aware when your diploma will be issued.

Your 90 days deadline starts once you receive final transcripts/passing notification, not Diploma/Degree/Convocation.

ymserver

Star Member
Jan 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2014
Doc's Request.
12-08-2015 (HK Police cert)
AOR Received.
05-03-2015
File Transfer...
10-03-2015 (SA); 30-03-2015 (AOR2);
Med's Request
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015 (re-med)
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
02-11-2015 (DM2), no PPR
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2015 (COPR)
J5M said:
Hi,

Your 90 days deadline starts once you receive final transcripts/passing notification, not Diploma/Degree/Convocation.
Oh that's right. Thanks for correcting. Therefore, OP should apply for PGWP very soon, probably before Mar.

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My study permit is expiring on August 31 2015, however I will be completing my courses by August 12 2015.
As for PGWP I should have valid study permit.
So what should I do know, After getting my results for say by August 25 2015 I apply for PGWP?
And in case the results are late , what should I do?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
rkapoor said:
My study permit is expiring on August 31 2015, however I will be completing my courses by August 12 2015.
As for PGWP I should have valid study permit.
So what should I do know, After getting my results for say by August 25 2015 I apply for PGWP?
And in case the results are late , what should I do?
safe thing would be applying for extension of study permit. college/university gives a letter just to extend study permit for such a purpose so talk to ur international students office.

hdizzle

Star Member
Sep 8, 2015
Hi guys. I would really appreciate some help on this since I believe my situation is very unique.
I was doing Masters from Queen's University.
My study permit expired 2015Aug12. I just finished and defended my thesis on 2015Aug28.
I understand that in order for me to apply for my PGWP i need to apply for the restoration of my status. But I have a few questions.

1. Do I apply for PGWP and restoration together in one package?
2. How can I apply for the restoration of my study permit since I have technically graduated? Or do I apply for restoration of some other status? Please advise.
3. Also since I defended after my study permit expired does that mean that I studied "illegally" and will be kicked out of Canada? I'm freaked out. Please tell me what I can do.