+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanat Resident Card

tosomu

May 25, 2008
Dear All,

Finally the time has come, our passports have been sent for Visa stamping and we would be required to enter Canada pretty soon.

However, due to certain circumstances, we would not be able to stay on for more than 10-15 days right now. So I want to essentially, enter Canada, claim permanent residency, come back to my home country, pack up home and stuff and come back to Canada for good in 6 months time.

Now, the problem I see is with re-entering Canada. I would not have had my PR Card upon my initial entry as I would not have a mailing address and would be staying for less than a month anyways.

What is my alternative? Can I re-enter Canada with the documents I had at time of initial entry?

Please advice.

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tosomu said:
Dear All,

Finally the time has come, our passports have been sent for Visa stamping and we would be required to enter Canada pretty soon.

However, due to certain circumstances, we would not be able to stay on for more than 10-15 days right now. So I want to essentially, enter Canada, claim permanent residency, come back to my home country, pack up home and stuff and come back to Canada for good in 6 months time.

Now, the problem I see is with re-entering Canada. I would not have had my PR Card upon my initial entry as I would not have a mailing address and would be staying for less than a month anyways.

What is my alternative? Can I re-enter Canada with the documents I had at time of initial entry?

Please advice.

Thanks,
Only if you are from a visa exempt country or entering on non commercial means from the US. Otherwise you will have to obtain a Travel Document at a Canadian office overseas.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC says you will get it in 30 days after you give them an address. I have heard 4-6 weeks for most people. I really doubt you would get it as fast as 10-15 days.

justyzz

Oct 19, 2008
i read somewhere that with proof of travel eg flight ticket they could issue PR card before the normal 30 days. anyone experienced this or know how far this is true?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

justyzz said:
i read somewhere that with proof of travel eg flight ticket they could issue PR card before the normal 30 days. anyone experienced this or know how far this is true?
Only for renewals is there expedited processing.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM is right. If you are renewing a PR card and need to travel, you can ask for expedited processing. They don't do that for new ones.

sfkiyani1

Star Member
Aug 25, 2008
London
Hi,
I want to ask PMM and Leon that if we are only going to canada for the time being to complete our landing and will be moving there next year, do we need to stay there until we recieve our PR cards or we can come back after one or two weeks time and can our Uncle send them through courier? I am bit confused because i have heared that as it is a legal document like passport, it cannot be send through courier is it true. Please your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
A SF Kiyani

Technicaly speaking and on safe side, stay in Canada until you get you PR in hand. PR is sent to the address you would have mentioned at the time of landing (at airport). So even if you are not in Canada, someone on your behalf can receive and send to you via courier.

However, if you want to travel to Canada for any reason, you will be then askign for a travel document. Staying here in Canada for couple of weeks more, as roughly you can get your PR in 4-5 weeks maximum.

Although, I never heard of this and probably did not happen earlier, though there is always a possibility of calling PR holder for for finger prints after few weeks of his landing prior to receiving to PR card in hand.

Quite a few friends of mine did the same, and they had no problem. So its upto individual and take the chance.

Cheers
Yasir Majid
www.link2canada.ca

tosomu

May 25, 2008
Thank you for your responses.

I have no direct relative who is residing in Canada. But have a friend who is in Toronto.

I am going to land in Vancouver, can I have Toronto address for PR Card delivery? My friend would mail/courier it to me later.

Thanks

Dhanan

Mar 4, 2009
Yes, I'm also in the same situation as tosomu. Me and my family landed on April 18th at Windsor and gave them a friend's address in Ontario, but we intend to eventually move to BC, but our PR cards will have the Ontario address I gave. Will it create any problem when landing at BC? Technically this looks logical but just wanted to make sure that me and my family will not be sent back when we land in Vancouver.

Thanks,
Dhanan.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,
This question has been asked time and again.

Logically Speaking,
PR means Permanent ("Resident") Residence Permit for Canada and not a state or Province.
The FSW means Federal Skilled Worker. (Note FEDERAL not Provincial)
So as Federal Skilled Worker you are not bound to any province.
Again, In the form it says "Where do you intend to live in Canada", Note : intend

However, Note that, Quebec is a different Scenario all together!!!!!

Stephanny26

Mar 28, 2014
Leon said:
CIC says you will get it in 30 days after you give them an address. I have heard 4-6 weeks for most people. I really doubt you would get it as fast as 10-15 days.
Hi leon, please help!if I apply for a travel documuments, do i need to send all my original passport use within 5 years and original copy of my CoPR? Or a photocopy would be enough?need an advice..tanx!

wiz_kid

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
AOR Received.
30-12-2011
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Request
05-03-2012
Med's Done....
19-03-2012 (RPRF draft en-cashed 19-April-2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-03-2012 (DM since 26-April-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
07-May-2012
LANDED..........
15-Feb-2013
I do not know if the below info help or not, but here is what i can tell you

-> I had the same situation and I moved to Canada 10 months after getting my PR due to some formalities back at home. If you think you cannot move right now you should not spend on tickets and other things just to visit Canada for 10 days. Plan your trip in such a way that you do not have to plan multiple trips.

-> PR usually comes in 4-6 weeks as everyone told you already , BUT BUT in some case they ask you to resend picture, with a stamp of photographer at the back of picture(it has happened with me) and date when it is taken

-> IF you are thinking or in a mindset that you just want to secure a PR and continue with your life back at home country do job search form there and later come, believe me that's going to be very tough. If you have to settle in Canada, make your mind, plan things and just get started. Things will fall in place.

-> If still you have to leave you need travel document

-> Address provided at time of landing can be of any place and also can be changed later on in CIC website. (I had done that), so practically it doesn't matter what address you give at time of landing and logically it doesn't make sense to give a different province address at time of landing. No one is bother but if you are from South East or Grey Zone why create unnecessary doubt in mind of Immigration officer.

Hope this help, Good Luck

"-I am settled in Toronto and have very little knowledge of other places in Canada
-I am not in touch with new FSW rules
-I can surely help in settling issues, document required and other post and pre advice required
-All information provided is best to my knowledge and experience, however it is strongly recommended that one should visit the official CIC website and relevant bodies before taking any decision. The information/guidance provided is completely in personal capacity.

Thank You & Good Luck"