+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC for Indian citizen in the U.S.

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hello,

I am creating a new thread of this because I'm so confused. I am an Indian citizen living in the U.S.

1) I understand that I need PCC from both U.S. and India. Is this correct?

2) I read somewhere that I can apply for Indian PCC at the Indian embassy closest to me. Will I be able to receive my Indian PCC within a month or so so I can apply within the 60 day deadline?

3) I am currently in India for a week. Any ideas if I can get my PCC from here?

4) How do I apply for a U.S. PCC? Will I be able to receive my U.S. PCC within a month or so so I can apply within the 60 day deadline?

krishna0702

Aug 21, 2015
Prasanna, You can get the PCC from PSK on same day. Last week I was in India and got PCC with in a day from PSK

1) Book appointment , you can book immediate day
2) Carry required documents , originals
3) PCC will be issued on same day..

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you.

1) I am in India now, but I reside in the U.S.. Are there different requirements for PCC?

2) I read somewhere that it should be on a date after I last left the country. So, should I go back to the U.S. from India and only then apply for PCC?

krishna0702

Aug 21, 2015
I believe , It is not mandatory to apply PCC from US. You can collect your PCC from PSK and go back to US.

Please wait for other senior members to reply, if I am wrong...

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Could someone kindly clarify this for me?

"For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

I am currently in India, visiting family for a month (The last time I was here for 6 months or more was in 2008). Does this mean that I need to go back to the U.S. and only then get my PCC, or because I am just visiting here for a month, can I get my PCC while I am here as this trip doesn't count?

krishna0702

Aug 21, 2015
I suggest you to first collect your PCC from PSK. There is no harm in spending 500 rupees for that... If you really need to get another PCC after going back to US, you can apply through embassy in US...

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Krishna. The only trouble at the moment is that I am only here for a week more, and my town doesn't have a PSK.

More importantly, the whole of my state has been affected by heavy rains and flooding, so travelling anywhere is a problem. So, I just want to be doubly sure this PCC will be valid before I find ways to make an appointment.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:
Thank you, Krishna. The only trouble at the moment is that I am only here for a week more, and my town doesn't have a PSK.

More importantly, the whole of my state has been affected by heavy rains and flooding, so travelling anywhere is a problem. So, I just want to be doubly sure this PCC will be valid before I find ways to make an appointment.
It is advisable you get your PCC from embassy in US as the PCC has to be after the last day of stay in your country. With the current down pour of non-stop torrential rains in your home town, it is advisable to get it done after reaching US. Give it somewhere between a week to 3 weeks for issuing PCC by the embassy. If your passport was issued by US embassy, you get your PCC pretty quick otherwise it takes around 2 to 3 weeks as they need to verify back at your home country.

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Rajan. I will take your suggestion on this one.

My passport wasn't issued by the embassy. I got my passport in India. The one thing I'd like to get clarity on though is the part where they say

"the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country"

By "lived", do they refer to the last time I lived here for at least 6 months? Which would mean I can possibly visit here and still get a PCC while I am visiting the country.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:
Thank you, Rajan. I will take your suggestion on this one.

My passport wasn't issued by the embassy. I got my passport in India. The one thing I'd like to get clarity on though is the part where they say

"the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country"

By "lived", do they refer to the last time I lived here for at least 6 months? Which would mean I can possibly visit here and still get a PCC while I am visiting the country.
That's right. If you have just gone back on a vacation to your country while you reside in US, then the last day on which you relocated from your country to US is considered to be your last living date. If you can manage to get the PCC from PSK on your vacation time, then it is valid too. In case if you go by approach, I would strongly suggest you keep a Letter of Explanation explaining these things, that way the officer processing your file would be clear. A person just by looking at your passport stamping dates, would definitely jump to conclusion that you had got your PCC before your last exit from the country and hence it makes sense to explain this clearly in the LOE.

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Rajan. Now it's clear.

I'll go with your approach so that it makes things simpler for everyone. My only concern with applying from the U.S. was the time needed. But going by what you've just said (2 weeks or so), I think I should be fine. I will be submitting my EE profile only around Jan 20th.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasanna1157 said:
Thank you, Rajan. Now it's clear.

I'll go with your approach so that it makes things simpler for everyone. My only concern with applying from the U.S. was the time needed. But going by what you've just said (2 weeks or so), I think I should be fine. I will be submitting my EE profile only around Jan 20th.
I am not sure about the closest embassy to your place of residence. Just a piece of info...Embassy in Chicago is pretty quick in issuing PCC's (less than 10 days). Embassy in SFO takes around 3 weeks (if you passport was issued in India). Not sure abt others.