+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport and Certificate questions

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
Dear all
What happens if we lose the citizenship certificate?
I believe credit card size plastic cards that they used to give were far better than the letter size sheets they are giving now. Small cards are also easier to carry or store. I don't understand why they stopped it. Anyhow I wonder if it is easy to get a new certificate if we lose it? Any opinions?

Also I wonder why it takes 2 business days to enter the information to the system. I need an urgent passport but I need to wait at least 48 hours. Nowadays entering any kind of information to a database is as easy as reading a barcode with a reader. It takes only few seconds not 48 hours.

Do you usually keep the letter from the prime minister?

I wish you all the best and get your citizenships as soon and easy as possible

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
Also the photo is not attached to the certificate. what happens if we lose the photo only?
Will the certificate be still valid?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If you lose the certificate then apply for a replacement - CIC website has details including fee and processing time.
2. Wallet size cards had less security - new certificates have unique identifiers. Also with CIC running the Passport Canada program easier to catch fraudulent 'Canadian' applicants.
3. In addition to 3 the certificate is not a travel document - having it in the form it is supports this my making it a hassle to travel around with much like the IMM1000 form used to be prior to introduction of the PR Cards.
4. My initial interpretation is that it takes 2 days because the certificates are pre-printed. Not everyone shows up for their ceremony. In fairness to the passport program the turn around is fast. The alternative would be to back load the process so CIC allow submit immediately after oath but have a longer processing time.
5. Photo with the certificate is to make sure you are the actual person taking the oath...just in case you send a family member or friend eh! Its not part of the certificate so its loss has no bearing on the legal status of the certificate.