+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part time self-employment

uyuki314

Apr 26, 2015
Hi all,

I have one question. I currently have a full time job as well as a part time self-employment (tutor).
I do file a tax for my tutoring job. I do this job around a few hours a week.
I looked at CIC website and it states that "if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience)."
Does this apply for my job or only for a full time self-employment ? Will CIC ask for work experience for this tutor job ?

Thanks a lot!

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are claiming points for your self-employment (if it matches your main NOC code), you may list it in your work history as a separate job. In this case, the system will require proof of self-employed work experience separately when it creates a document checklist for you. And yes, you will then need to provide proof of tax statements, tax certificate, reference letters from third parties that you are providing your services to, and also payment details such as bank statements showing money coming into your accounts from those people in reference letters, and if you issued invoices to these people (since you pay tax for self-employment, I suppose you do) then copies of invoices, and articles of incorporation if you have any. The more of these you provide, the better.

If you are not claiming points for your self-employment (if it doesn't match your main NOC code), then do not list it in your work history, but list it in your personal history. This way the system will not require you to provide proof of such work experience.

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
Hi Haznac,

It seems self-employment in Canada does not award point, right? I checked the self-employed box for my 1 year work experience as self-employed and 1 year of fulltime work experience in Canada. I got 40 points only. What could be wrong?

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh, you are in Canada. Well, I apply from outside Canada as FSW and my humble expertise would cover only that. But still, any job that matches your declared NOC Code should give you points. I invite more informed members for help.

Best of luck to you.

uyuki314

Apr 26, 2015
haznac said:
If you are claiming points for your self-employment (if it matches your main NOC code), you may list it in your work history as a separate job. In this case, the system will require proof of self-employed work experience separately when it creates a document checklist for you. And yes, you will then need to provide proof of tax statements, tax certificate, reference letters from third parties that you are providing your services to, and also payment details such as bank statements showing money coming into your accounts from those people in reference letters, and if you issued invoices to these people (since you pay tax for self-employment, I suppose you do) then copies of invoices, and articles of incorporation if you have any. The more of these you provide, the better.

If you are not claiming points for your self-employment (if it doesn't match your main NOC code), then do not list it in your work history, but list it in your personal history. This way the system will not require you to provide proof of such work experience.
Thank you for your help. I just want to confirm on one point. I only have a few invoices from my student so will it be a wise choice to put this job under personal history then since proving all information will be tough.

Thanks again.

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
How come I'm not getting point for my self employed work on my profile? I have a 1 year self employed experience in Canada.

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uyuki314 said:
Thank you for your help. I just want to confirm on one point. I only have a few invoices from my student so will it be a wise choice to put this job under personal history then since proving all information will be tough.

Thanks again.
Yes, if you cannot substantially prove your work history with enough hours to make a difference, don't even bother and add it to personal history.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yengyeng said:
Hi Haznac,

It seems self-employment in Canada does not award point, right?
Correct. Self-employment experience in Canada is excluded.

If you have foreign self-employment experience, that can be included in the FSW program, but you have to have good documents...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
yengyeng said:
How come I'm not getting point for my self employed work on my profile? I have a 1 year self employed experience in Canada.
It is not eligible.

yengyeng

Jul 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb/March 2017
Okay. Thanks Jes. I need to find other ways to increase my scores or wait for my existing paper PR applicant under PNP

uyuki314

Apr 26, 2015
haznac said:
Yes, if you cannot substantially prove your work history with enough hours to make a difference, don't even bother and add it to personal history.
Thank you. I tried to add the experience under personal experience. Where do I find on express entry? I can't seem to find it. I made my express entry account on April 2015. Is it a different format now?

Thanks again.