+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Visitor Visa to Canada

Emily Lin

Aug 8, 2020
Hello friends:

My husband and myself with two kids are all Canadian Citizens. My in-laws are Chinese citizens. They both have valid regular visitor visas. And they have been come to Canada several times already in the past few years to visit us.
So during current covid-19 situation, can they still enter to Canada to spend some family time with us and the grand-kids? Do they need to provide essential reasons or they are exempt since we are Canadian citizens? And will it a problem for the border officers if they just book one-way tickets and no return tickets back to China? ( Since the air tickets are so expensive now and everything is uncertain, we do not want book round trip).

Thanks,

Emily

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
It seems unlikely that an airline will allow them to travel on a one way ticket , its not certain that they will not allow but something to keep in mind. Same goes for CBSA who will of course probably ask how long they plan to stay and if they have a return ticket. AIrline return tickets are generally cheaper than 2 one way tickets even if having to pay a change fee. Not always true though and cannot speak for China.

See here the instructions for immediate family travel but note that currently they will need to spend 14 days in isolation separate from your family

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#citizen-pr

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the return trip, take Cathay Pacific and you can have the plane tickets refunded (clicked on their website for details).