+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents sponsorship

joy02

Jan 13, 2019
hello!! I just want to ask if someone here have the same issue with us. My brother and I are planning to sponsor my parents this January. But someone told us that we cant sponsor our parents because we are siblings. My brother can’t be my co signer. They told us that if one of us is married or in a common law relationship then it will be possible. Unfortunately both of us is single. Can anyone explain it to us? On why my brother and I cant sponsor my mom and dad in the Philippines??

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello!! I just want to ask if someone here have the same issue with us. My brother and I are planning to sponsor my parents this January. But someone told us that we cant sponsor our parents because we are siblings. My brother can’t be my co signer. They told us that if one of us is married or in a common law relationship then it will be possible. Unfortunately both of us is single. Can anyone explain it to us? On why my brother and I cant sponsor my mom and dad in the Philippines??
You and your brother cannot cosponsor each other's application.

Currently only spouse can co-sponsor.

So it's not true that you cannot co-sponsor because it's single. Even if you are married/common law, only your spouse can co-sponsor. Not with a sibling.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One of you can certainly sponsor your parents - you just can't co-sign the application and combine your income to qualify to sponsor your parents. This means that as long as one of you makes enough income on their own to meet the income requirements, there will be no issue sponsoring.

junAL521

Feb 11, 2013
Hello everyone. I am an 18 years old canadian citizen. I want to sponsor my mom 41 yrs old. Can any one give me a tip and advise what the obstacles will I encounter during the sponsorship process? In the CIC website the processing time is between 12 to 24 months(Philippines).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone. I am an 18 years old canadian citizen. I want to sponsor my mom 41 yrs old. Can any one give me a tip and advise what the obstacles will I encounter during the sponsorship process? In the CIC website the processing time is between 12 to 24 months(Philippines).
Have you looked at the income requirements for 3 years (except Quebec). You like have quite a few years before you qualify.

junAL521

Feb 11, 2013
Is the income requirements for 3 years the sole basis or the determining factor? My mom is still young, she can get a work a month or two(like Tims or Macdonald).

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Wow how did you get your canadian citizenship so young?

joy02

Jan 13, 2019
It’s a bit ironic because we are 3 siblings here in Canada. 2 of us are already citizen. I searched for the income requirements and it’s like $40k+?? None of us meet this requirement but combining all of our income is pretty enough to sponsor them. Every one of us is single. I wonder why can’t we combine our income for our parents. The are our parents and wanted to be with them until they go grey and old.
I there any other way that we can sponsor them??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It’s a bit ironic because we are 3 siblings here in Canada. 2 of us are already citizen. I searched for the income requirements and it’s like $40k+?? None of us meet this requirement but combining all of our income is pretty enough to sponsor them. Every one of us is single. I wonder why can’t we combine our income for our parents. The are our parents and wanted to be with them until they go grey and old.
Not sure what irony you are seeing.

No, there is no other way to sponsor them. You should focus on advancing your education/work in order to meet the income requirements to qualify in future.

Reactions: canuck78

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If your parents are still married, the Minimum Necessary Income is for a family size of 3, not 2. This comes to nearly 50K.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
  1. I will be filling my third year taxation in Feb 2019. So can I submit application for my parents sponsorship in Jan 2019 when the stream opens?
  2. Can my parents be with me here in Canada on Visitor Visa when I submit this application? Or they have to be outside the country when I apply their PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
  1. I will be filling my third year taxation in Feb 2019. So can I submit application for my parents sponsorship in Jan 2019 when the stream opens?
  2. Can my parents be with me here in Canada on Visitor Visa when I submit this application? Or they have to be outside the country when I apply their PR?
We don't even know what PGP will look like in 2020. There is an election this year and given the complaints and lawsuit this year the program will likely change.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
We don't even know what PGP will look like in 2020. There is an election this year and given the complaints and lawsuit this year the program will likely change.
Thank you for a quick response. However, considering that nothing will change in 2020, can you please let me know the answers to my question if you know the answer? As per the current system.