+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents sponsorship - Elderly care expense

kimkim19

Dec 26, 2023
I sponsored my parents, they landed five years ago as Parents sponsorship. My father started having alzheimer slowly and lately hospitalized due to covid. He is not mobile any more since the hospitalization.

I understand that his long term care expense would not be covered, but what about other support such as ontario home and comminity care?

Any input would be appretiated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I sponsored my parents, they landed five years ago as Parents sponsorship. My father started having alzheimer slowly and lately hospitalized due to covid. He is not mobile any more since the hospitalization.

I understand that his long term care expense would not be covered, but what about other support such as ontario home and comminity care?

Any input would be appretiated.
A large part of his LTC would be covered but not the monthly bed fee 1-1.5k+/ month depending on the LTC home, whether private, semi or ward room, etc. Alzheimer’s ward likely at a higher end of the scale. Realistically no extra care will be provided because of the demand on the system. Those who are the sickest or don’t have any family get hours. Family still does the majority of the care or pays for care if they can’t provide it or need to sleep no matter what in the community. It will likely be up to your family unless in palliative care and close to end of life. and you may get some PSW hours. You can speak to the social worker at the hospital (ask the nurse to see to see the social worker) for referral to the local homecare team for an assessment but realistically would not expect much. The social worker should be able to give you a realistic idea of how much a bed fee would be and what the waitlist are to get into LTC these days. They also may be able to give you an idea about whether you will qualify for any PSW hours. Would perhaps qualify for a few hours a week to do some form of bathing for example. The social worker could also help you look into rentals for a hospital bed, wheelchair (or purchase), etc. Sadly LICO is too low and IRCC does not clarify how much people need to be prepared to pay if their parents move to Canada. I have pointed out the issue of LTC costs many times and people always say the family plans on caring for their parents at home but that may not be possible. That comes with a cost for equipment rental but many families are dual income earners out of necessity so there is nobody to care for the parent during the day. Some have to leave employment to care for their family member or find a way to earn enough to pay the monthly bed fee. The wait time to get a bed in LTC is another issue and the new rules mean that you may not get into a local LTC right away. Best of luck no easy solution. While your father is in hospital I would start watching and asking the nurses questions about incontinence products and how to change them, how to position someone in bed and how often to move them and what you need to do to try and avoid skin breakdown, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just verified the rates and they have gone up substantially since I last looked so you are looking at a minimum of 2k/month for a bed fee.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
And if you choose to care for him at home, you can option to rent or purchase some of the equitment. In BC, they allow you to borrow from Red Cross for a short period of time. And OT will show you how to use the equitments. But you need to figure out long term wise to rent or to buy them.
You may be shock on how expense some of those equitment cost. (e.g. air mattress to prevent bed sore is close to $1000 per piece and you need 3 to 4 sections to fill the hospital bed)