+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship for 2024

Emily Lin

Aug 8, 2020
Hello everyone,

I just received invitation to apply letter for parent sponsorship yesterday from IRCC after 5 years in the pool.

Back in 2020, when I entered the pool, my senior parents were still married and I was intend to sponsor them both. They recently got divorced due to some of my dad's wrong doing. Now my question is can I only submit application to sponsor my mom only? As they already divorced, if I only sponsor my mom, as an ex-spouse, do we still need to submit all the document for my dad (for example, his generic info, his family info, his medical exam, police certificate, etc) even if he is not coming, not as dependent or accompanying spouse to my mom since they are not in relationship anymore ?

If not necessary, I just don't want to talk to him or deal with him to ask him to provide all those info.

Any advice or help are appreciated.

Thank you

Emily

ilovepepsi

Mar 19, 2019
Congrats Emily! I've also got the invitation for my parents after such a long waiting. Regarding your question - whether your father has to be included in the application depends on the legal status of your parents - if they are legally "divorced", say, they have the certificate from the govt or the court, then your father is no longer considered a family member and should not be included in the application. If they just live separately without an official certificate, he's still part of the family and you have to include him in the application, even if he won't go to Canada. I got the info from IRCC's website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

It's a long guide but you can search for the "Who should be included in the sponsorship application?" section. The section says:

- the principal applicant’s spouse (even if separated, in most cases) or common-law partner

Then you can find the definition of "separate" in the note sub-section:
Note: In the case of a principal applicant who is separated from their spouse, the principal applicant’s separated spouse is considered a “family member”, as per paragraph R1(3)(a), since they are still legally married until they are divorced.

Also in the table below the note you can find the definition of "Spouse":
Refers to either of the 2 people in a marriage legally recognized in the country in which it took place, as well as in Canada. This includes spouses who are separated until they are legally divorced.

My understanding is that when they have the official divorce certificate, they are two different families and you don't need to include your father in the application. And of course you need to provide the date of divorce in the forms, and also provide the certificate as a proof. I remember there's such a field in the IMM0008 form. The family form is a bit tricky as he's still your father, and you have to mention him but the marriage status should be divorced.

Hope things will go smoothly for your application and wish all the best with the reunion with your mother.

Emily Lin

Aug 8, 2020
Thanks so much for your reply. Hopefully it will be a smooth application for all of us.

Congrats Emily! I've also got the invitation for my parents after such a long waiting. Regarding your question - whether your father has to be included in the application depends on the legal status of your parents - if they are legally "divorced", say, they have the certificate from the govt or the court, then your father is no longer considered a family member and should not be included in the application. If they just live separately without an official certificate, he's still part of the family and you have to include him in the application, even if he won't go to Canada. I got the info from IRCC's website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

It's a long guide but you can search for the "Who should be included in the sponsorship application?" section. The section says:

- the principal applicant’s spouse (even if separated, in most cases) or common-law partner

Then you can find the definition of "separate" in the note sub-section:
Note: In the case of a principal applicant who is separated from their spouse, the principal applicant’s separated spouse is considered a “family member”, as per paragraph R1(3)(a), since they are still legally married until they are divorced.

Also in the table below the note you can find the definition of "Spouse":
Refers to either of the 2 people in a marriage legally recognized in the country in which it took place, as well as in Canada. This includes spouses who are separated until they are legally divorced.

My understanding is that when they have the official divorce certificate, they are two different families and you don't need to include your father in the application. And of course you need to provide the date of divorce in the forms, and also provide the certificate as a proof. I remember there's such a field in the IMM0008 form. The family form is a bit tricky as he's still your father, and you have to mention him but the marriage status should be divorced.

Hope things will go smoothly for your application and wish all the best with the reunion with your mother.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just received invitation to apply letter for parent sponsorship yesterday from IRCC after 5 years in the pool.

Back in 2020, when I entered the pool, my senior parents were still married and I was intend to sponsor them both. They recently got divorced due to some of my dad's wrong doing. Now my question is can I only submit application to sponsor my mom only? As they already divorced, if I only sponsor my mom, as an ex-spouse, do we still need to submit all the document for my dad (for example, his generic info, his family info, his medical exam, police certificate, etc) even if he is not coming, not as dependent or accompanying spouse to my mom since they are not in relationship anymore ?

If not necessary, I just don't want to talk to him or deal with him to ask him to provide all those info.

Thank you

Emily
I think you can sponsor only your mom since your parents have been devoiced . You will need to provide official devoice certificate.
And he is not part of the application. So no need for medical or police check...etc.
And no need to fill in his own form (e.g. IMM 5406)

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
Hello everyone,

Thank you

Emily
How do you know who got picked as the principal applicant? Did you submit interest to sponsor form only for your mom?

pnaran14

Jan 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
India
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2017
Doc's Request.
25-May-2017
AOR Received.
17-05-2017
File Transfer...
07-06-2017
Med's Request
18-05-2017
Med's Done....
22-05-2017
Passport Req..
15-Jan-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-Nov-2018
LANDED..........
26-Nov-2018
I got my invite for my mum as well. I am happy to connect with you all. I will post my questions and try to help you folks in your questions. The application is due for submission on Aug 2.

manu1

Oct 2, 2019
Hello guys, if any of you guys are able to answer this for me. . I just received an invitation from IRCC for the parents and grandparents program. I want to apply to sponsor my dad who lives in the US. He has been living in the US for a long time. his attemps at getting US green card has not been successful and he has been in an out of a work authorization which is currently expired, he has applied to renew not knowing if its going to be renewed. he pretty much has no immigration status right now. Am i still able to complete his sponsorship application to Canada while he lives in the US without a status. or will that cause more headaches down the line.

I look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks..