+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Grandparent Program 2024 - PR Application: IMM-0008 & IMM 5406

Santana Two

Dec 28, 2016
Good day everyone

As the principal sponsored applicant, I have been recently selected via the Parents Grandparents Program to apply for permanent residence and now in the process of filling my forms:

I'm struggling to understand the followings somewhat contradicting questions and hope you can advise please:

Under section: IMM 0008
"Generic application form for Canada (IMM 0008) - Dependants
It is stated that: "You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

Question: I guess this is strictly regarding dependents, my children are all independent adults with their own lives/families, which I assume should not be listed, correct?

---------------------------------

Under section: IMM 5406

"Additional family information
What is this form for?
We need information about your family:
  • Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings
You don’t need to complete this entire form in one sitting. To save your progress on this form, click “Save and continue.” You can return to this form later by clicking “View my applications” on the homepage.
Before you get started
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable."
Before you start, read the instruction guide.
To keep or print a copy of this page, choose 'File' then 'Print'. If you don't have a printer, choose 'Save as PDF' as the print destination."

Questions:

My siblings, parents and only one child of mine are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, they should all be listed but not my canadian children, correct?

Also, there is much emphasis on completely listing all relatives, where would my Canadian children fit in this application please?

Forgive my long questions, thanks in advance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Good day everyone

As the principal sponsored applicant, I have been recently selected via the Parents Grandparents Program to apply for permanent residence and now in the process of filling my forms:

I'm struggling to understand the followings somewhat contradicting questions and hope you can advise please:

Under section: IMM 0008
"Generic application form for Canada (IMM 0008) - Dependants
It is stated that: "You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

Question: I guess this is strictly regarding dependents, my children are all independent adults with their own lives/families, which I assume should not be listed, correct?

---------------------------------

Under section: IMM 5406

"Additional family information
What is this form for?
We need information about your family:
  • Parents
  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Siblings
You don’t need to complete this entire form in one sitting. To save your progress on this form, click “Save and continue.” You can return to this form later by clicking “View my applications” on the homepage.
Before you get started
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable."
Before you start, read the instruction guide.
To keep or print a copy of this page, choose 'File' then 'Print'. If you don't have a printer, choose 'Save as PDF' as the print destination."

Questions:

My siblings, parents and only one child of mine are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, they should all be listed but not my canadian children, correct?

Also, there is much emphasis on completely listing all relatives, where would my Canadian children fit in this application please?

Forgive my long questions, thanks in advance.
Your questions are a bit confusing. Are you the principle applicant or the sponsor?

If you are the PA, then in IMM0008, ONLY your dependents are listed/included. i.e. they are your:
- spouse/common law partner
- dependents (i.e. definition of dependent is under age 22 and single)

IMM 5406 is a different form, in it, you list everyone regardless of their ages and their residence or citizenship.
and both you and your spouse/common law partner will need to fill your own IMM 5406 form.
As instructed, list all you parents, children and siblings regardless of age or citizenship.

After all, your sponsor should be helping you to fill these forms. good luck.

Reactions: armoured

Santana Two

Dec 28, 2016
Many thanks for your prompt response YVR123,

Sorry about the confusion, yes, as stated, I'm the principal applicant, I appreciate your response, very helpful, thanks.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

IMM0008 is for the (principal) applicant and dependents to fill out. Your spouse (if any) and any children under the age of 22 (if any) can be dependents and included on the form. Any adult children would not be put on this form. No Canadian citizens or PRs on this form, because anyone on this is basically an applicant (or a non-accompanying potential applicant). Basically only the principal applicant fills one IMM0008 out, unless there are a whole lot of kids or a few other specific scenarios (kids of kids? can't recall). Probably doesn't apply so not going to look it up.

IMM5406 is complete family info - additional family info. You list everyone whether dependents or not, whether Canadian citizens or PRs or not. The principal applicant completes one, as do anyone else on the IMM0008 who is over 18 (spouse, adult children under 22).

Assuming a fairly simple scenario: you are married and all children are adults > 21 years of age. You fill out IMM0008, include your spouse but no children, and both you and spouse complete the IMM5406, which will have a certain amount of overlap of the family members.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you are the PA, then in IMM0008, ONLY your dependents are listed/included. i.e. they are your:
- spouse/common law partner
- dependents (i.e. definition of dependent is under age 22 and single)
Our posts overlapped, basically same info. Note that in most cases for IRCC a spouse is a dependent, but that is probably clear (just keep in mind if IRCC asks about numbers of dependents and similar).

One point for clarity: 'dependents' are NOT included in IMM0008 if they are citizens or PRs of Canada - because neither can logically (nor legally) apply to become PRs. IMM0008 is for those applying to become PRs. Probably repetitive in this case because the children are mostly already aged-out of dependence status.

Reactions: YVR123

larryz

Jul 4, 2016
IMM0008 is for the (principal) applicant and dependents to fill out. Your spouse (if any) and any children under the age of 22 (if any) can be dependents and included on the form. Any adult children would not be put on this form. No Canadian citizens or PRs on this form, because anyone on this is basically an applicant (or a non-accompanying potential applicant). Basically only the principal applicant fills one IMM0008 out, unless there are a whole lot of kids or a few other specific scenarios (kids of kids? can't recall). Probably doesn't apply so not going to look it up.

IMM5406 is complete family info - additional family info. You list everyone whether dependents or not, whether Canadian citizens or PRs or not. The principal applicant completes one, as do anyone else on the IMM0008 who is over 18 (spouse, adult children under 22).

Assuming a fairly simple scenario: you are married and all children are adults > 21 years of age. You fill out IMM0008, include your spouse but no children, and both you and spouse complete the IMM5406, which will have a certain amount of overlap of the family members.

For IMM5406, I think in the instructions, IRCC stated that do not fill persons that are PR or citizenship?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For IMM5406, I think in the instructions, IRCC stated that do not fill persons that are PR or citizenship?
No.

You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Means PR or Canadian citizens DO NOT fill this form for him/her.
So PA fill one IMM 5406
PA's spouse fill one IMM 5406
If PA has a son that's under 18, this son doesn't need to fill his own IMM 5406
If PA has a son that's over 18 but under 22, is single and is NOT a Canadian citizen or PR, then he also needs to fill in his own IMM 5406.
If PA has a son that's over 18 but under 22 and is a Canadian citizen, this son does NOT need to fill in his own IMM 5406.

I hope this example is clear.

larryz

Jul 4, 2016
No.

You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Means PR or Canadian citizens DO NOT fill this form for him/her.
So PA fill one IMM 5406
PA's spouse fill one IMM 5406
If PA has a son that's under 18, this son doesn't need to fill his own IMM 5406
If PA has a son that's over 18 but under 22, is single and is NOT a Canadian citizen or PR, then he also needs to fill in his own IMM 5406.
If PA has a son that's over 18 but under 22 and is a Canadian citizen, this son does NOT need to fill in his own IMM 5406.

I hope this example is clear.
Thanks so much for explaining.
why is age 22 a requirement?

I got understand a little bit, you guys are talking about whether to fill a separate 5406 form for a member in the family, but that form is actually automatically loaded in the portal for each member, that is why I am confused. The family member is entered in the very beginning in the profile page right?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I got understand a little bit, you guys are talking about whether to fill a separate 5406 form for a member in the family, but that form is actually automatically loaded in the portal for each member, that is why I am confused. The family member is entered in the very beginning in the profile page right?
If the "family member" is over 22 or citizen, I don't think he/she should be added in IMM 0008 to begin with.
Whoever is included in IMM 0008 is part of the immigration application.
(sorry I don't have experience with the new "online automatics forms". )

- Under age 22 means he/she is a dependent of the PA. Anyone 22 or older is no longer considered as dependent.

larryz

Jul 4, 2016
OK, so maybe my question is a different from the main post then:

What about the following family, I am over 22, and I am PR, and I'm sponsoring my parents, I definitely do not need my "separate 5406 form" according to the instruction.

But when I am filling my father's 5406 form, the form asks the "child" info of my father, which is just so similar everywhere, like this:

Additional family information
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable.

Child 1
Relationship
I think I do not need to be filled here since I am a PR?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I really got confused by some of the posts here....

larryz

Jul 4, 2016
If the "family member" is over 22 or citizen, I don't think he/she should be added in IMM 0008 to begin with.
Whoever is included in IMM 0008 is part of the immigration application.
(sorry I don't have experience with the new "online automatics forms". )

- Under age 22 means he/she is a dependent of the PA. Anyone 22 or older is no longer considered as dependent.

Actually in the online portal, all the 0008/5406/5669 is automatically loaded for each member, you cannot even add a new 5406 form unless we go back to very beginning and add a dependent there...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
OK, so maybe my question is a different from the main post then:

What about the following family, I am over 22, and I am PR, and I'm sponsoring my parents, I definitely do not need my "separate 5406 form" according to the instruction.

But when I am filling my father's 5406 form, the form asks the "child" info of my father, which is just so similar everywhere, like this:

I think I do not need to be filled here since I am a PR?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I really got confused by some of the posts here....
From my understanding, you as a sponsor will not appear in your father's IMM 0008 as a family member. Also you do not need to fill in your own 5406.
BUT you will be listed under child of your father's 5406 as his child.

At this point, I will wait for other members who have filled out the automatic forms in the online application to further explain the online forms.

Reactions: larryz

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

You have jumped into a thread about a different situation entirely and thoroughly confused things.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
From my understanding, you as a sponsor will not appear in your father's IMM 0008 as a family member. Also you do not need to fill in your own 5406.
BUT you will be listed under child of your father's 5406 as his child.

At this point, I will wait for other members who have filled out the automatic forms in the online application to further explain the online forms.
Unfortunately I can't help either on this, the online forms are different enough. Poor instructions from IRCC as far as I can tell too.

larryz

Jul 4, 2016
Unfortunately I can't help either on this, the online forms are different enough. Poor instructions from IRCC as far as I can tell too.
thanks, yes, sometimes their website development team does not communicate well with their visa officers and issues confusion.
this year’s 5669 is no longer using PDF, but it seems they are only allowing like 14 characters for employer names. i guess many of the applications are not complete due to the web forms

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured