+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Panic- please help: Translated documents requirement

anaskw

Mar 30, 2015
Dears, experts.. please help in my case and concern.

I left my home country years ago with some documents like marriage certificate and birth certificate (of me and my Canadian relative's to prove the blood relationship later). I translated them in the country where I reside now by an authorized (certified) translator.

CIC EE (e-APR) asks for more than that translation? Do they need attestation, "certified true copy" stamp, or any required action I need to take?

please clear me my concern on my translated docs as it's too far to go back to home country and translate them there and get them stamped there from officials.

Also, I don't have an embassy of my home country in the country where I live.

waiting your advice from your experiences

thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to get the translation notarized. Simply having a translation from a certified translator based outside Canada won't suffice.

anaskw

Mar 30, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
You need to get the translation notarized. Simply having a translation from a certified translator based outside Canada won't suffice.
Thank you Asivad

anaskw

Mar 30, 2015
anaskw said:
Thank you Asivad

What docs are required in e-APR? ( I am asking to know which document I need to have its translation notarized)

Let me know if any is not required, or any more is required:
- PCC (mine is writen in non-English, so needs translation)
- As I claim points for FSW from Canadian relatives, I need to submit civil records of my family and my relative's to show and prove the bloody relation. (again need translation)
- marriage certificate
-kids birth certificates
-national IDs

Thank you

anaskw

Mar 30, 2015
anaskw said:
What docs are required in e-APR? ( I am asking to know which document I need to have its translation notarized)

Let me know if any is not required, or any more is required:
- PCC (mine is writen in non-English, so needs translation)
- As I claim points for FSW from Canadian relatives, I need to submit civil records of my family and my relative's to show and prove the bloody relation. (again need translation)
- marriage certificate
-kids birth certificates
-national IDs

Thank you

Looking forward to have your review/comment plz guys

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
valioiko said:
How can a notary notarize something that's not in their native language?
They are notarizing it to the effect that this is a genuine and accurate translation of the contents in the local language into English (or French) as the case might be and this also implies that the translator is vouching for their translation.

valioiko

Star Member
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks, Avisad!

I submitted my package, but I suspect it will be returned, as the notarization is not on the translated document itself, but on the copy in native language, attached to the translation. I can see the notarization stamp has been translated as well...

Looks like my translation agency have mislead me.

In that case, do you think my application will be returned for re-submission with the correct translations, or rejected overall?

Thanks!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
valioiko said:
Thanks, Avisad!

I submitted my package, but I suspect it will be returned, as the notarization is not on the translated document itself, but on the copy in native language, attached to the translation. I can see the notarization stamp has been translated as well...

Looks like my translation agency have mislead me.

In that case, do you think my application will be returned for re-submission with the correct translations, or rejected overall?

Thanks!
If you've sent your application for PN, they are likely to ask for re-submission. CIC is more unpredictable and might refuse the application altogether.

CADparity

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
They are notarizing it to the effect that this is a genuine and accurate translation of the contents in the local language into English (or French) as the case might be and this also implies that the translator is vouching for their translation.
Perhaps in some countries this might be the case, but not everywhere. In many countries, notaries don't notarize documents that are in a foreign language. And they only put stamps and statements in the official local language, not in English, so even if they notarize the translator's signature, the notarization will not be in English or French.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CADparity said:
Perhaps in some countries this might be the case, but not everywhere. In many countries, notaries don't notarize documents that are in a foreign language. And they only put stamps and statements in the official local language, not in English, so even if they notarize the translator's signature, the notarization will not be in English or French.
You are notarizing the translated document. What that effectively means is that the translator is submitting under oath that their translation is authentic and accurate.

CADparity

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
You are notarizing the translated document. What that effectively means is that the translator is submitting under oath that their translation is authentic and accurate.
If you are notarizing the translated document - i.e. the translation - then you are notarizing a document in English. In my understanding, notarizing means that the translator signs the translation in the presence of a notary, and the notary then puts a seal and a statement on the translation certifying that it is indeed the translator who signed it. This seal and the statement of the notary are usually in the local language, not in English, rendering them useless to CIC.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CADparity said:
If you are notarizing the translated document - i.e. the translation - then you are notarizing a document in English. In my understanding, notarizing means that the translator signs the translation in the presence of a notary, and the notary then puts a seal and a statement on the translation certifying that it is indeed the translator who signed it. This seal and the statement of the notary are usually in the local language, not in English, rendering them useless to CIC.
Not really.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the place where the affidavit is sworn, that the contents of the translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.
Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/translation.asp

CADparity

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
So the notary will put a stamp and signature on the affidavit instead of the translation. I don't really understand how this refutes what I wrote - that if the notary puts a seal and a statement in the local language certifying the translator's signature, the CIC officers won't understand the notary's certification since it won't be in English.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CADparity said:
So the notary will put a stamp and signature on the affidavit instead of the translation. I don't really understand how this refutes what I wrote - that if the notary puts a seal and a statement in the local language certifying the translator's signature, the CIC officers won't understand the notary's certification since it won't be in English.
CIC themselves want it to be done this way. How they would interpret any seal that isn't in English/French is their problem. The bigger point here being that CIC expects all translations done by non-certified translators based outside Canada to be notarized by officials from those countries.