+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

overstayed and got a confirmation letter. POSSIBLE?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
pfse said:
I'm also from visa exempt country. I didn't get any visa on entry (because I don't need one) and I didn't get any stamp in Passport with expiry date or something... The officer just stamped my passport with the date of entry and that's all...
I'm from visa-exempt country as well, and I have an expiry date written by hand under the stamp.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pfse said:
I might be wrong, but since you're from visa exempt country, you can stay in Canada after WP expiration, but you need to stop working. I'm not sure that getting visitor visa even possible for you. But also I'm not sure if there is any time limitation for staying without WP.
No - you can't. Same rules apply to everyone - including those who are visa exempt.

OP clearly has no status in Canada right now. Submitting the PR application certainly didn't give implied status.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
iam_toby said:
I'm from visa-exempt country as well, and I have an expiry date written by hand under the stamp.
I don't have such expire data in my passport. When I arrived, I told to the border officer that the reason of arrival is Work and showed him a WP letter from consulate. He stamped my passport with date of entry and forwarded me to the CIC officer. Since then I reapplied 3 times for WP extension without exit/entry the country.

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
@pfse we are talking about "visitor visa"

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
TeddyXYZ said:
@ pfse we are talking about "visitor visa"
We don't even have to talk anymore ;) the OP clearly has no status in Canada right now and never
had the implied status. No one will be able to tell what is going to happen during the landing, so we
will have to wait and see what he reports after the landing.
For now he might be fine, but when the OP plans to apply for citizenship, this issue might come up again
as the OP stayed in Canada without authorization.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
TeddyXYZ said:
@ pfse we are talking about "visitor visa"
There is no such thing "visitor visa" for citizens of "visa exempt" countries. CIC would not issue it to me...

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
If there was an end-date stamped on the passport beyond the WP expiry, then he can stay until that date but may not work.
Interesting though for visa-exempt citizens: for those with no stamps on the passports, does this mean the date you can stay is co-terminus with WP expiry?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
pfse said:
There is no such thing "visitor visa" for citizens of "visa exempt" countries. CIC would not issue it to me...
Correct. But you're only allowed to stay until either the date printed in your passport OR the
expiry of your work permit, unless you apply for an extension, which would give you implied status.
If you fail to apply for an extension of your work permit, and therefore don't get the implied status,
you don't have any legal status in Canada.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
MenicMonday said:
If there was an end-date stamped on the passport beyond the WP expiry, then he can stay until that date but may not work.
Interesting though for visa-exempt citizens: for those with no stamps on the passports, does this mean the date you can stay is co-terminus with WP expiry?
Yes, after applying for my second work permit and activating it by flagpoling, I was told
that I can stay until it expires and I did not get a new stamp in my passport.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
For visa-exempt passport holders:

Stamp with no date attached - usually interpreted to mean a 6 month stay from the date of the stamp
Stamp with handwritten date - this is the day the officer has authorised you to stay until. It may be longer or shorter than 6 months depending on the circumstances and the officer.

I had 3 separate working holiday visas (now under IEC) and each time my passport was stamped and the date of the visa expiry was the date I had to leave Canada by. To reactivate each one I had to drive to Buffalo and come back to Canada the next day.

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
@pfse it's slang for that stamp and date you r getting when coming to Canada as a visitor.

@toby well I would be afraid to go to the border just because the first question that officer will ask will be "what's your status in Canada? " =D so I guess it's better to do it inland :D

Corrin

Apr 3, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2013
AOR Received.
05-11-2013
IELTS Request
upfront
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
04-04-2014
pfse said:
I'm currently here in Canada on a visitor visa and am from the United States.
I was told when filing for the visitor visa to explain that I would be in the country longer then six months while awaiting the approval of my PR.
The visitor visa I was granted is good for a year.
The visitor visa might be a possible route for this person. But you can not work on this and will have to prove that you or someone in Canada can support you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Matt the Aussie said:
Do you landing inland - call CIC and arrange an appointment for your nearest office. Sure, you will wait several weeks but you also remove the risk of the border officer looking into this further.
S/he can't "land" at an inland CIC, doesn't have valid status in Canada which is one of the criteria.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
May be off-topic but would anyone who's been in the forum long enough remembers or has encountered a post regarding in-Canada landing? Most of the popular threads involve flag-poling.
I only have one anecdotal experience to share: I accompanied my ex during her landing at the Vancouver CIC Offices, and they just stamped her passport, told her how long the PR card will take, that she needs to stay at least 2 years cumulative within 5 years (I'm guessing here, but I think this is what it was 2 years ago), and what date the earliest she can apply for citizenship (assuming she stays).

The thing is, I think it's really a better alternative for the OP to do it at CIC Offices rather than CBSA since the former will treat you like any other entrants. OP may be required to show the expired WP and this will generate questions.

@ PMM: If that's the case, then s/he can just sneak out of the country for a few days and land as-if s/he's just coming back. =P

@ Corrin: the OP already has a PR Visa, but has concerns landing since he suspects that he was out-of-status since July 2013.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PMM said:
S/he can't "land" at an inland CIC, doesn't have valid status in Canada which is one of the criteria.
Since PMM has reminded us that you have to have valid status to do an inland landing, the OP is just going to have to suck it up, leave, and try to complete the landing at the border...