+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada, FSW PR approved, job offer in Montreal

NovaProspekt

Dec 10, 2015
My FSW PR was approved in April but I am still living in my native country (Mexico). I received a job offer from Montreal, Quebec. I asked my immigration lawyer about this, and she said that once I am a Permanent Resident, I can live and work anywhere in Canada.

IF I decide to accept the job, I would go about it the following way:

1. Land in Toronto and tell immigration officer that I intend to reside in Ontario while looking for work in that province
3. Provide an Ontario address to have the PR card sent
2. Go to live/work in Montreal
3. Collect the PR card once it arrives

However, I don't know if I can go and get an ID card, drivers licence from Quebec soon after landing. Do you get your Social Insurance number right after landing or do you have to apply for it later? Will living in Quebec right after landing cause issues for me down the line when re-newing PR card and/or applying for citizenship?

Thanks

muxican

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-02-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-02-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
NovaProspekt said:
My FSW PR was approved in April but I am still living in my native country (Mexico). I received a job offer from Montreal, Quebec. I asked my immigration lawyer about this, and she said that once I am a Permanent Resident, I can live and work anywhere in Canada.

IF I decide to accept the job, I would go about it the following way:

1. Land in Toronto and tell immigration officer that I intend to reside in Ontario while looking for work in that province
3. Provide an Ontario address to have the PR card sent
2. Go to live/work in Montreal
3. Collect the PR card once it arrives

However, I don't know if I can go and get an ID card, drivers licence from Quebec soon after landing. Do you get your Social Insurance number right after landing or do you have to apply for it later? Will living in Quebec right after landing cause issues for me down the line when re-newing PR card and/or applying for citizenship?

Thanks
As a PR you are entitled to live and work everywhere in Canada as long as you want; no issue whatsoever about your SIN (you have to apply for it in a Service Canada office), PR card or citizenship. It's just an issue of convincing the immigration officer when you do the landing that you are not intending to work in Quebec.

NovaProspekt

Dec 10, 2015
muxican said:
As a PR you are entitled to live and work everywhere in Canada as long as you want; no issue whatsoever about your SIN (you have to apply for it in a Service Canada office), PR card or citizenship. It's just an issue of convincing the immigration officer when you do the landing that you are not intending to work in Quebec.
Well that should be really easy, there is nothing tying me to Quebec (or any other province) that they would know about. I don't plan on disclosing the job offer...

Sr7

Jun 2, 2017
Hi Nova,

Can you please update us if you faced any problem after working in Quebec. After you followed your steps. Please suggest. thanks.