+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of country travel while citizenship application in process

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I received my AOR last week. I have a need to travel out of the country for 1-2 months for my wedding but I am afraid to finalize wedding dates as I am not sure of the impact of travel on the process.

Can members advise if it impacts the application process in any manner? Does anyone have any experience with out of country travel?

I so appreciate your help.

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
nubee said:
Hi everyone,

I received my AOR last week. I have a need to travel out of the country for 1-2 months for my wedding but I am afraid to finalize wedding dates as I am not sure of the impact of travel on the process.

Can members advise if it impacts the application process in any manner? Does anyone have any experience with out of country travel?

Thanks,
Please read the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

It states:

Asking questions about your application

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

you change your address,
you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
you are charged with a crime or
we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.

I have highlighted the part for you in Red.

Here is another useful link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much for sharing this information. This is very helpful. You are always very kind btw.

I looked into this forum and noticed in the past people have commented on experiences with travel during process. I hope someone can share his personal experience with this to help me make a better decision. I am pretty lost on this.

I am on hold with CIC call center now to take their opinion right now ;)

Thanks a lot!!

thecoolguysam said:
Please read the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

It states:

Asking questions about your application

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

you change your address,
you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
you are charged with a crime or
we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.

I have highlighted the part for you in Red.

Here is another useful link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
nubee said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Many of us traveled out of Canada during the application process, some of us often, for various reasons and various time periods.

But you are not asking about merely traveling outside Canada. You are, rather, asking about an extended absence.

CIC's only direct advice is that there is no prohibition on traveling but those who will be absent for more than two weeks are advised to inform CIC.

That is more or less a guideline. It is more about scheduling events and making sure notice is timely received. It does not disclose any internal CIC policies or practices regarding applicants who are abroad for extended periods of time while the application is pending. CIC does not disclose how such factors may influence internal processing.

Overall, spending up to 60 days abroad for a specific, temporary purpose, for someone that makes sense for (after all, many immigrants if not most cannot afford to take two months off from their employment), with proper notice given to CIC, is probably NOT a problem, with emphasis on "probably" meaning not for sure.

There is no definite guideline for what may invite CIC to question the residency of an applicant due to absences after applying, but it is probably reasonable to anticipate that longer than two months or multiple extended absences increases the risk proportionately.

To be clear, for anyone whose complete application was received by CIC as of June 10, there is no disqualification for being abroad while the application is pending. So long as the applicant is qualified, remains in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, timely responds to any requests from CIC, and appears for events as scheduled, being abroad does not compromise the applicant's qualification. (Applicants applying after June 10, 2015 must, at least in effect, continue to reside in Canada while the application is pending.)

More about leaving-Canada-after-applying:

There are multiple topics in this forum, and in others as well, addressing the issue of leaving-Canada-after-applying. It is a complex subject because, of course, the circumstances, reasons, particulars, all vary greatly from one individual to another. And CIC is secretive about what inferences it makes, what questions it has even, related to post-application absences.

One month is almost certainly no big deal, not likely to make a difference. If it was soon you might even forego giving CIC notice since you would likely be back before a test/interview event was scheduled (although you want to be sure someone reliable was collecting and examining your mail very regularly, to be sure you had notice in time to respond to any communication from CIC).

Beyond a month . . . well, one could easily say the same, no big deal, about five weeks . . . but what about six? Most people like definitive markers, specific guidelines. There are none. At some point, perhaps three or five months, CIC is likely to perceive the applicant to be residing abroad rather than just absent from Canada, which seems likely (we do not really know) to invite at least some inquiry if not increased scrutiny. But even this is highly variable since oft times CIC does not even realize there is such an extended absence. Moreover, some reasons for being abroad are more clearly temporary. Attending a six month university program abroad, for example, is not likely to raise an eyebrow let alone lead to elevated scrutiny or problems. Working abroad for a non-Canadian employer, on the other hand, is more likely to draw unwanted attention as soon as noticed. There are scores of reasons, some more or less clearly temporary, some not easily embraced as credible by a total stranger bureaucrat processing the file, some very likely to raise questions.

And context matters. If CIC even looks into things beyond the surface. Sometimes they will. Often they do not. We do not even know, with any degree of definiteness, what is likely to trigger a closer look by CIC, just that in some cases an extended absence is related to CIC taking a closer, sometimes harder look at things. Which is no problem for most applicants. Which can be a problem for some applicants, including qualified applicants (not everyone has perfect records to show where they have actually resided the whole time in Canada, for example).

nb8285

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
If applicant can come back to Canada with short notice for test, then it may be better NOT to notify CIC.

Joshemir

Jun 23, 2015
St. John's, NL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I spent 7 weeks outside Canada after submitting my applicaiton for Citizenship.
I received my AOR when I was visiting my family in the Philippines. :D

I will have my exam and interview tomorrow. I will keep you posted if it's an issue or not, but to be safe, better follow the advise of those who replied here.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I think what Dpenabill said above is incontrovertible -- it may be an informal issue, but under the old rules, should not be a formal issue. I'm doing this right now, I submitted my family's application and we are now spending three months in Thailand. It's our only chance to this for an extended period for the foreseeable rest of our lives (paternity leave), we have a house and jobs to go back to in Canada, and I'm comfortable explaining all of this to a CIC officer. If it extends our application process, it is still worth it -- there are worse things than RQs. Why did we do the travel and the application so close together? To minimize the chance that we would miss some communication from CIC while gone.

That said I'll be interested to hear from Joshemir about their experience at their interview . . .

Joshemir

Jun 23, 2015
St. John's, NL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
That said I'll be interested to hear from Joshemir about their experience at their interview . . .
I'm confident that I can justify my decision to leave the country after submitting my application.
I'm just not too sure that I will pass the exam. I hate history. Anyhow, wish me luck. :D

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Joshemir said:
I'm confident that I can justify my decision to leave the country after submitting my application.
I'm just not too sure that I will pass the exam. I hate history. Anyhow, wish me luck. :D
What, Canada has history? Why wasn't I told of this? I've been preparing for the exam by memorizing symbolic animals and watching hockey.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
on-hold said:
What, Canada has history? Why wasn't I told of this? I've been preparing for the exam by memorizing symbolic animals and watching hockey.
Here is the link for the official "Discover Canada" guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/

It has lots of sections including the history section.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
thecoolguysam said:
Here is the link for the official "Discover Canada" guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/

It has lots of sections including the history section.
I believe on-hold was being sarcastic.

Joshemir

Jun 23, 2015
St. John's, NL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Two days ago, I found out that beaver is actually an animal! :eek:

Joshemir

Jun 23, 2015
St. John's, NL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Uodate:

I'm done now with the exam and interview. They just checked the # of days I'm present here in Canada and didn't ask for any information re: my travel after I sent my application.

:D

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Joshemir said:
Uodate:

I'm done now with the exam and interview. They just checked the # of days I'm present here in Canada and didn't ask for any information re: my travel after I sent my application.

:D
There have never been direct evidences that traveling for long time during the pending of the application will create any problems.

You are just another example that prove it.