+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Document or Certified Copy??

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hello Seniors! Would really appreciate the help on a very confusing matter. I found various threads about this topic, but no definite answer.
There is a big confusion going on about the translations accompanying documents in languages other than English or French. The confusion comes from the official CIC website itself. Here is the part:

Translation of documents
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
The two paragraphs give really different information. So this naturally raises the questions:

1-When uploading the translations, should it be accompanied by the original version of the document OR the certified copy OR maybe even both.
2-If it's a certified copy, how does it work?... Does the translator simply make a copy of the original document and stamp it or something to link it with the translation?

What I have is:
-Original Document
-Translated version
-Affidavit linked to the translation stating that it's true to the original document

Would truly appreciate advice!

Reactions: SumH12

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hello Seniors! Would really appreciate the help on a very confusing matter. I found various threads about this topic, but no definite answer.
There is a big confusion going on about the translations accompanying documents in languages other than English or French. The confusion comes from the official CIC website itself. Here is the part:

Translation of documents
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
The two paragraphs give really different information. So this naturally raises the questions:

1-When uploading the translations, should it be accompanied by the original version of the document OR the certified copy OR maybe even both.
2-If it's a certified copy, how does it work?... Does the translator simply make a copy of the original document and stamp it or something to link it with the translation?

What I have is:
-Original Document
-Translated version
-Affidavit linked to the translation stating that it's true to the original document

Would truly appreciate advice!
they are saying certified copy of original document in case you need to retain original documents for your use. Let's say you have marriage certificate which is in your native language. Would you just give it to IRCC? Won't you need it later? Hence IRCC doesn't need original document but a certified copy of the original document.

Reactions: Petraalissa

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
they are saying certified copy of original document in case you need to retain original documents for your use. Let's say you have marriage certificate which is in your native language. Would you just give it to IRCC? Won't you need it later? Hence IRCC doesn't need original document but a certified copy of the original document.
Thanks Cansha for your quick reply.

The matter of keeping orignal documents still holds even if all documents are scanned anyway? Not actually sent to IRCC. No documents are sent out physically.
I mean if I scan the original and upload, I kinda still have it physically, so that's not an issue...

Am I mistaken? Did you go through the EE process?

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019

The matter of keeping orignal documents still holds even if all documents are scanned anyway? Not actually sent to IRCC. No documents are sent out physically.
I mean if I scan the original and upload, I kinda still have it physically, so that's not an issue...

Hi,
I think that it (certified copy) applies when it is a paper based process. But for EE, original docs (color scan) should be ok.

But it is a good question... it would be interesting to read what Seniors say about this.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The certified copy requirement was relevant before the implementation of Express Entry, now simply uploading the original document along with its translation is sufficient.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I see! So they asked for certified copy when the applications were paper based, to not have applicants send out original important documents. But the thing is, the page which mentions it was last updated on 26/06/2018..... So they willingly left it there. Confused :D

But I guess the affidavit still is a requirement. My certified translator gave me an affidavit solemnly declaring he's fluent in the given languages, and the translation is true and faithful to original document Stamped and signed. Do you think I need to go back and ask him to have it notarized? Or no need ..

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

As people pointed out it was a requirement only for paper based applications. My apologies if my reply confused you.

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
I see! So they asked for certified copy when the applications were paper based, to not have applicants send out original important documents. But the thing is, the page which mentions it was last updated on 26/06/2018..... So they willingly left it there. Confused :D

But I guess the affidavit still is a requirement. My certified translator gave me an affidavit solemnly declaring he's fluent in the given languages, and the translation is true and faithful to original document Stamped and signed. Do you think I need to go back and ask him to have it notarized? Or no need ..
Yes, affidavit is notarized.

caf445

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018

I believe you still have to have the photocopies certified! It proves that the translator saw the copy of the actual document not any other paper. You should upload all : translation, certified photocopy, affidavit if not translated by a certified translator from Canada and the scan of the original all in color. Good luck

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I believe you still have to have the photocopies certified! It proves that the translator saw the copy of the actual document not any other paper. You should upload all : translation, certified photocopy, affidavit if not translated by a certified translator from Canada and the scan of the original all in color. Good luck
Many many thanks to all of you for your kind advice! So what I need to do is have the affidavit notarized. For the certification of the photocopy, it has to be the translator who does the certification? Or a commissioner of oaths or something? I don't know if translators have the authority to do so...

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
Many many thanks to all of you for your kind advice! So what I need to do is have the affidavit notarized. For the certification of the photocopy, it has to be the translator who does the certification? Or a commissioner of oaths or something? I don't know if translators have the authority to do so...
Hi,
I have presented the following, both times that I have been asked for translations, for Visitor Visa (status: approved on February 2018) and for OINP (in assessment):

1- Document translated in English, with translator´s seal in each page.
2- Affidavit signed by translator before a Public Notary (both signatures + seals)
3- Scanned copy of the original document, high definition and in color.

In the affidavit, the translator declared: "I certify that the English translations are a true and accurate version of the xxx originals, which are affixed hereto."

Rgds.

mnsx236

Sep 9, 2018
Hi,
I have presented the following, both times that I have been asked for translations, for Visitor Visa (status: approved on February 2018) and for OINP (in assessment):

1- Document translated in English, with translator´s seal in each page.
2- Affidavit signed by translator before a Public Notary (both signatures + seals)
3- Scanned copy of the original document, high definition and in color.

In the affidavit, the translator declared: "I certify that the English translations are a true and accurate version of the xxx originals, which are affixed hereto."

Rgds.

I have sent as same as you,but 3 - original document is notarized and sent :

1- Document translated in English, with translator´s seal in each page. - sent Copy
2- Affidavit signed by translator before a Public Notary (both signatures + seals) - Sent copy
3- Notarized original document, high definition and in color - original document with Notary

Please is these OK or need to include some thing.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Did your translator stamp the copy? What does the stamp say? Was the translator declaration also notarized or just a standard declaration that says they are a certified translator and translated the document?
No he didn't stamp the copy. He stamped his translation and his affidavit. It's a stamp of his translation office, which is a member of an official translator association recognised by the ministry of justice in my country.

I gave him the original, and he declared in his affidavit that the translation was made based on the original and not a copy. I later made a notarised copy of the marriage certificate, and asked him to notarise his affidavit. He's used to working on translations for immigration to Canada, and told me it works fine without notarising the affidavit. But I preferred to be on the cautious side. So I uploaded:
-Original Marriage Certificate
-Notarised Copy of the certificate
-Original Translation
-Original notarised affidavit (mentioning he is fluent in English<->French translation, that the translation was true and based on original, and translation reference number which is written on the translation document itself)

Jan 13, 2019
Hi there! is the original certificate of marriage issued by local civil registrar valid for proof of relationship? I am from Philippines.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi there! is the original certificate of marriage issued by local civil registrar valid for proof of relationship? I am from Philippines.
Well I'm not sure what the document looks like, But I'm guessing if it's the original marriage certificate, then nothing beats that to prove your marriage.
Note however, that if it's not in English, you'll have to translate it though.

Reactions: chummagallanes