Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
So it wasn't long before I encountered another aspect of this process that I just cannot wrap my head around.
Numbers 17, 18, 19 of the document checklist have caused me some confusion- so any help would be very very appreciated

I am sponsoring my common-law partner from the UK- I am a fulltime student and for this reason unemployed.

17- asks for a Option C Printout- before i call RCA i thought i would be helpful to know what is it? Is it something that I already have?
I have no co-signer- so I assume i leave the "notice of assessment" out- or do I have to provide a notice of assessment myself?

18- i am unemployed so i assume i skip this right?

19- as i have been told- i dont need to meet necessary income requirements right? so do i ignore this altogether? If not then.. should i be providing proof of other income- and by that i mean my partners income- in the form of bank statements etc as he has been largely supporting me

if anyone knows anything about this please help???

also- any advice as to who is BEST to use and who is NOT recommended to make the two statutory declarations of the relationship- am I understanding this correctly- we have to get two other people to write that about the relationship- not us right???

Thanks sosoooo much for your help!!

uncychopper

Jul 28, 2009
ok , The option "C" printout is a notice of your last tax assessment , you can get it from revenue canada , My sponsor waited untill she got this years one as her last one she was a student and not making very much money ... Its fairly important that oyu are financially able to support your partner incase he is unable to find a job

uncychopper

Jul 28, 2009
also the people that should be signing affadavits , are the people that are closest to you both and can attest to the validity of your relationship. For example I included statements from both our mothers stating that our relationship is genuine. Just be thorough with the application and read and re-read each question. It can be confusing.

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
my last income tax assessment says I earned $9222. I know this to be very low.. but if this affects my application- then its contrary to what everyone else has been saying about income not being a factor?

Thanks for that- yeh I think we will use both of our mothers as well!

uncychopper

Jul 28, 2009
Well I am still waiting on a reply from my application. But my sponsor is in Vancouver . She was approved as a sponsor fairly quickly , In part because of her financial stability. Reason being is that if the application is approved and I am unable to find a job then she is technically on the hook for me financially for 3 yrs. I already have a job there though , and have included offers of employment in my application

uncychopper

Jul 28, 2009
as far as I can tell include every little thing you can to rpove your relationship is genuine .... lots of pics , used plane tickets , affadavits ... even if it seems insignificant ... include it.

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
17) I applied from the UK so I never got to see what the Option C printout is but from what I understand it shows your income, tax situation, etc from the previous year. It will also show if you received any benefits or social assistance, etc - I think this is what they are wanting to see. No co-signer, then no Notice of Assessment.

18) I assume so too, it wouldn't hurt though to provide a letter of explanation, maybe even write what you are studying for and what sort of job and salary you expect to command at the end of your studies, how quickly you anticipate finding a job, etc - all of this can help, non??

19) Correct, the question states 'If you must meet the necessary income requirement', which you do not. But again, and as you suggest, the more info, the better. Great to send bank statements and your partners income, etc. If your partner has a job offer then definitely send that, or again write in your letter what sort of job and salary your partner can command in Canada, etc.

I am not a solicitor or lawyer so I wouldn't like to say whether you'd get approved sponsor status or not so maybe someone else has heard of a student sponsoring an immigrant before.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lesintheuk said:
I am not a solicitor or lawyer so I wouldn't like to say whether you'd get approved sponsor status or not so maybe someone else has heard of a student sponsoring an immigrant before.
There are many people, myself included, who have successfully sponsored their spouse while a student. It is a non-issue.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uncychopper said:
Well I am still waiting on a reply from my application. But my sponsor is in Vancouver . She was approved as a sponsor fairly quickly , In part because of her financial stability. Reason being is that if the application is approved and I am unable to find a job then she is technically on the hook for me financially for 3 yrs. I already have a job there though , and have included offers of employment in my application
Everyone is approved fairly quickly. Financial stability is not one of the factors that they are looking for.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
popo said:
So it wasn't long before I encountered another aspect of this process that I just cannot wrap my head around.
Numbers 17, 18, 19 of the document checklist have caused me some confusion- so any help would be very very appreciated

I am sponsoring my common-law partner from the UK- I am a fulltime student and for this reason unemployed.

17- asks for a Option C Printout- before i call RCA i thought i would be helpful to know what is it? Is it something that I already have?
I have no co-signer- so I assume i leave the "notice of assessment" out- or do I have to provide a notice of assessment myself?
You need the Option C printout regardless of whether you have a cosigner or not. It is used to verify that you have not declared bankruptcy and have not received social assistance. They are not interested in your income per se.

18- i am unemployed so i assume i skip this right?
Correct
19- as i have been told- i dont need to meet necessary income requirements right? so do i ignore this altogether? If not then.. should i be providing proof of other income- and by that i mean my partners income- in the form of bank statements etc as he has been largely supporting me

I don't think it's wise to ignore this altogether. I was a student when sponsoring my husband. I talked about how I supported myself with a scholarship and a line of credit. I also talked about when I will graduate and what salary I will be expected to make. I also included copies of paystubs for the 12 months prior to being a student. You'll have to decide for yourself what is best for you to include.
if anyone knows anything about this please help???

also- any advice as to who is BEST to use and who is NOT recommended to make the two statutory declarations of the relationship- am I understanding this correctly- we have to get two other people to write that about the relationship- not us right???
Sorry, I never had to do this but yes, they want someone else that you know to verify your relationship so definitely it cannot be you or your partner. I would think people that know you the best would be the best to ask for this. I would recommend that you use family if you can.
Thanks sosoooo much for your help!!

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
popo said:
my last income tax assessment says I earned $9222. I know this to be very low.. but if this affects my application- then its contrary to what everyone else has been saying about income not being a factor?

Thanks for that- yeh I think we will use both of our mothers as well!
You don't even need an income to sponsor your only spouse (i assumed no children).
But please include income tax assessment anyway

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just and FYI...

My wife sent both an assesment and an option C. She was summarily miffed because the assesment had the same data, and look, as the option C and she was not too happy about repeating herself. We had to delay our submission to Mississauga because we had to wait and send the Option C when the assesment would have done justfine...but since we are dealing with anal people, we sent both and nashed our teeth.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eric Parker said:
Just and FYI...

My wife sent both an assesment and an option C. She was summarily miffed because the assesment had the same data, and look, as the option C and she was not too happy about repeating herself. We had to delay our submission to Mississauga because we had to wait and send the Option C when the assesment would have done justfine...but since we are dealing with anal people, we sent both and nashed our teeth.
It's not a matter of being anal I don't think. If someone has declared bankruptcy or has received social assistance, it will show up on your option C. In your case, it turned out that they had the same information but this won't be the case for everyone. BTW you are not asked to submit your assessment so I don't know why you included it.

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
Thanks everyone- all this information has been a massive help..

My forms are complete- now I just need my partner to do the same and get the medical done and get his police check sorted!
Add some supporting documents and we should be looking to send it off quite soon!!