App. Filed.......
06-08-2015
AOR Received.
31-10-2015
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum
i'm finishing my application and i have some questions,

for the open work permit and spousal sponsorship
-Do i have to include just the form IMM5710, or all the application documents from "Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker"?

-there is any problem if i pay my work permit fees and the Permanent Resident fees on (two) separate online receipts?

thank you for your help.

Farjaw

Feb 27, 2015
Hi everyone !

just an update. I am a sponsorship applicant January 16th, 2014. I applied for the open work permit in April 29th,2015. I received it within 3 months on 5th August,2015. Valid for one year! YES!!

Best of luck for all of you guys. I know how it feels to wait. Be patient and never loose your hope!!

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
It is August now, which means it is physically possible for people with Pilot (type 27) work permits to have OHIP.
Those applying in December/January got their permits around April, and if they *successfully* applied for OHIP they should have it by now.

Has anyone been able to actually get OHIP?

Disclaimer: I am not interested in what an MP or MPP or Service Agent may have told so-and-so, I just want to know if anyone with *ONLY* a pilot OWP, and nothing else, is holding their OHIP card today.
If you are also a refugee, or are also a temporary foreign worker, or are also an international student, I don't care. There are special OHIP rules for those classes.
If you already had OHIP, or already had a different type of OWP, please refrain from throwing your hat in. Your case is different and will only confuse everyone else.

We've finally waited long enough to definitively know if this is possible or not.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
It is August now, which means it is physically possible for people with Pilot (type 27) work permits to have OHIP.
Those applying in December/January got their permits around April, and if they *successfully* applied for OHIP they should have it by now.

Disclaimer: I am not interested in what an MP or MPP or Service Agent may have told so-and-so, I just want to know if anyone with *ONLY* a pilot OWP, and nothing else, is holding their OHIP card today.
If you are also a refugee, or are also a temporary foreign worker, or are also an international student, I don't care. There are special OHIP rules for those classes.
If you already had OHIP, or already had a different type of OWP, please refrain from throwing your hat in. Your case is different and will only confuse everyone else.

We've finally waited long enough to definitively know if this is possible or not.
As far as I know, at first, those with OWP case 27 were able to get it until Ontario Service stepped in realizing the loophole whereby the Federal Government dictated to Ontario how to qualify for OHIP. So yes there were some that gotten it at first. There are also some who have OHIP despite holding OWP 27 due to having a regular work visa prior to getting OWP 27.

I haven't seen any latest posts of anyone that gotten OHIP on OWP case 27 alone. I have been keeping an eye on it and so far, no postings on it yet since Ontario Service formalized their policy.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
As far as I know, at first, those with OWP case 27 were able to get it until Ontario Service stepped in realizing the loophole whereby the Federal Government dictated to Ontario how to qualify for OHIP. So yes there were some that gotten it at first. There are also some who have OHIP despite holding OWP 27 due to having a regular work visa prior to getting OWP 27.

I haven't seen any latest posts of anyone that gotten OHIP on OWP case 27 alone. I have been keeping an eye on it and so far, no postings on it yet since Ontario Service formalized their policy.
Lately there have been more claims of "whisperings" to the contrary. Since we're at the stage where it is physically possible for those claims to be validated or disproved, I'm looking to but this issue to bed.

dreematt

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
March 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015 (Up Front)
Hi seniors. just need some advice regarding lmia. My cousin have been offered a job in Edmonton, and the employer is willing to process lmia. But the problem that I can see is that the number of employee working there is as low as just 2 people. Do you think lmia will still be positive? Please give me advice. Thanks. I just wanna make sure that it'll be positive coz I want to be with my cousin here.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
dreematt said:
Hi seniors. just need some advice regarding lmia. My cousin have been offered a job in Edmonton, and the employer is willing to process lmia. But the problem that I can see is that the number of employee working there is as low as just 2 people. Do you think lmia will still be positive? Please give me advice. Thanks. I just wanna make sure that it'll be positive coz I want to be with my cousin here.
Off topic. Did you really need to ask that question in this topic? Or in 7 other topics for that matter?

Stop spamming.

trev_2002

Aug 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've been navigating through the maze of information that is the CIC website and I just had a few questions regarding the OWP pilot.

Background: I am a Canadian citizen (living in Toronto) and I recently married my husband who is a US citizen (living in New York). We are trying to figure out the best route for him to come to Canada as soon as possible and be able to work. This Visa seems ideal.

Questions:
1. From what i've read on this blog many people have obtained their OWP between 3-4 months. Is this time frame counting from the initial submission of the entire PR and OWP application, or is it 3-4 months after the sponsor has been assessed (initial assessment ~10 months after initial submission)?
2. Him being a US-citizen, does he need some kind of temporary resident visa to prove that he is legally living here when we submit the our PR application as an internal applicant? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I wasn't sure since I know US citizens can be in Canada for 6 months at a time without problems. If yes, what kind of visa?
3. Lastly, this may be a bit off topic for this thread, but while the internal PR application is being processed, does anyone know if there are any issues with exiting and reentering the country? He will want to be able to enter the US on holidays etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trev_2002 said:
Hi everyone,

I've been navigating through the maze of information that is the CIC website and I just had a few questions regarding the OWP pilot.

Background: I am a Canadian citizen (living in Toronto) and I recently married my husband who is a US citizen (living in New York). We are trying to figure out the best route for him to come to Canada as soon as possible and be able to work. This Visa seems ideal.

Questions:
1. From what i've read on this blog many people have obtained their OWP between 3-4 months. Is this time frame counting from the initial submission of the entire PR and OWP application, or is it 3-4 months after the sponsor has been assessed (initial assessment ~10 months after initial submission)?
2. Him being a US-citizen, does he need some kind of temporary resident visa to prove that he is legally living here when we submit the our PR application as an internal applicant? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I wasn't sure since I know US citizens can be in Canada for 6 months at a time without problems. If yes, what kind of visa?
3. Lastly, this may be a bit off topic for this thread, but while the internal PR application is being processed, does anyone know if there are any issues with exiting and reentering the country? He will want to be able to enter the US on holidays etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
If his desire to work ASAP trumps the fact that he could possible complete the entire process in < 8 months or so, if he were to submit an OUTLAND application...then an Inland application and OWP application will work. Be aware that the total cost for the OWP is $255. Several people have failed to include the $100 fee that was recently added (Dec 2014) and have had their application returned.

To answer your questions:

1. It is based on the receipt of the OWP by CIC.

2. He can come to Canada to `visit' you while his PR is being processed, but he cannot legally `live' in Canada yet. When he enters Canada he may need to satisfy the CBSA Border Officer's concern that he still LIVES in New York. If he is allowed to enter Canada and is given the standard 6 months visitor authorization, he can simply apply to extend his status prior to the expiry date. However...

If he really does opt for the Inland application and OWP, he needs to wait until he is in Canada before you submit your applications. If he is allowed to enter as a visitor, he can then submit the Inland application and the OWP. This will give him what is called Implied Status, which will allow him to legally remain in Canada for the duration of the processing...which would be ~ 2 years total.

3. If he leaves Canada at anytime during the process and is refused re-entry...his entire application (and OWP) will be in jeopardy. Although CBSA is well aware of `Dual Intent' (read about this on CIC's website), he must still convince CBSA that he is NOT living in Canada. It's such a dichotomy, but that's the way it works...or, doesn't work. ;)

Are you absolutely sure that the Inland application is the better choice? Even with an Outland application, he can still be IN Canada, but would not be able to work.

Good luck!

trev_2002

Aug 12, 2015
Ponga said:
If his desire to work ASAP trumps the fact that he could possible complete the entire process in < 8 months or so, if he were to submit an OUTLAND application...then an Inland application and OWP application will work. Be aware that the total cost for the OWP is $255. Several people have failed to include the $100 fee that was recently added (Dec 2014) and have had their application returned.

To answer your questions:

1. It is based on the receipt of the OWP by CIC.

2. He can come to Canada to `visit' you while his PR is being processed, but he cannot legally `live' in Canada yet. When he enters Canada he may need to satisfy the CBSA Border Officer's concern that he still LIVES in New York. If he is allowed to enter Canada and is given the standard 6 months visitor authorization, he can simply apply to extend his status prior to the expiry date. However...

If he really does opt for the Inland application and OWP, he needs to wait until he is in Canada before you submit your applications. If he is allowed to enter as a visitor, he can then submit the Inland application and the OWP. This will give him what is called Implied Status, which will allow him to legally remain in Canada for the duration of the processing...which would be ~ 2 years total.

3. If he leaves Canada at anytime during the process and is refused re-entry...his entire application (and OWP) will be in jeopardy. Although CBSA is well aware of `Dual Intent' (read about this on CIC's website), he must still convince CBSA that he is NOT living in Canada. It's such a dichotomy, but that's the way it works...or, doesn't work. ;)

Are you absolutely sure that the Inland application is the better choice? Even with an Outland application, he can still be IN Canada, but would not be able to work.

Good luck!

Thank you for the quick and useful response Ponga (Especially about the OWP fees)! The main reason why we were leaning towards inland was because when I looked at processing times for outland, I saw ~57 days for step 1 and that step 2 would take ~35 months at the new york visa office or 29 months at LA and we didn't want to wait that long to live in the same city.

1. Is he not restricted to submitting his outland application to a US based visa office? Could he submit it to Ottawa (10 months) or Sao Paulo (5 months)? If it's just ~8 months I think we would suck it up and wait on the outland application.

Just to be sure I understand what you're saying:
If we did go with the Inland application and OWP, in terms of logistics, since he is a US citizen he does not need to apply for any kind of temp visa (IMM5256) etc. ahead of time or at the border, correct? He can simply come to Canada and say he's visiting or traveling for 6 months. This would give him entry and then once we submit the inland application and OWP he would then have implied status. Now he has implied status and can remain in the country without the need to apply for any extension of his stay without any issues... unless he wants to leave and re-enter Canada.

2. Do you know when reentering the country, can you say you've applied for PR and have implied status and an OWP and are just visiting your spouse until your PR application decision has been made? or is this a no no. Should you just stick to saying that you're "visiting for a few months"

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
trev_2002 said:
Thank you for the quick and useful response Ponga (Especially about the OWP fees)! The main reason why we were leaning towards inland was because when I looked at processing times for outland, I saw ~57 days for step 1 and that step 2 would take ~35 months at the new york visa office or 29 months at LA and we didn't want to wait that long to live in the same city.

1. Is he not restricted to submitting his outland application to a US based visa office? Could he submit it to Ottawa (10 months) or Sao Paulo (5 months)? If it's just ~8 months I think we would suck it up and wait on the outland application.

Just to be sure I understand what you're saying:
If we did go with the Inland application and OWP, in terms of logistics, since he is a US citizen he does not need to apply for any kind of temp visa (IMM5256) etc. ahead of time or at the border, correct? He can simply come to Canada and say he's visiting or traveling for 6 months. This would give him entry and then once we submit the inland application and OWP he would then have implied status. Now he has implied status and can remain in the country without the need to apply for any extension of his stay without any issues... unless he wants to leave and re-enter Canada.

2. Do you know when reentering the country, can you say you've applied for PR and have implied status and an OWP and are just visiting your spouse until your PR application decision has been made? or is this a no no. Should you just stick to saying that you're "visiting for a few months"
If you actually look at the visa office links, you'll see that all US apps are actually sent to Ottawa. The only apps that are transferred from Ottawa to LA or NY are those with big issues that require further investigation and an interview.

Ottawa averages around 8-10 months.

1. As I said above, it would go to Ottawa. He can be in Canada as a visitor while an outland app processes.

2. Implied Status ends when a person leaves Canada. You can say whatever you want but there is never a guarantee of entry.

I would strongly suggest you apply outland.

lav444

Aug 14, 2015
Hi
I have a question , and I am new on this forum.
I need to remove restriction from my OWP PILOT PROJECT
when i want to change my condition on my work permit what form should I use, Can I send it on line and how long does it takes and if I need to send it by mail what address should I use. ,,,Thank you ...and my medical is on 28 of august, can I send my form before that.I have open work permit with restriction ,not allowed to work in health care related services ,,,Thank you

ywqu

Jun 16, 2015
GustavesF said:

People I know who holds code 27 OWP alone (Including me) all get direct answers = No. Won't issue health coverage for code 27 OWP.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
ywqu said:
People I know who holds code 27 OWP alone (Including me) all get direct answers = No. Won't issue health coverage for code 27 OWP.
Thanks and + for your response.