waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
MapleLeafMan said:
Also, my lawyer has told me that it's fine that we don't have anything from immigration saying that they received our application...lawyer said its common that you don't hear from immigration until initial assessment is done and not to worry.

Correct?
i'm not sure for inland. (definitely wrong for outland). i'm not sure if EVERYONE for inland gets an AOR (acknowledgement of receipt). generally, that's the FIRST notification from CIC, and for inland, it's been taking 4 months for applicants to get one. I think there are some people who don't get this, though asking in the inland thread would give you a better idea.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
i'm not sure for inland. (definitely wrong for outland). i'm not sure if EVERYONE for inland gets an AOR (acknowledgement of receipt). generally, that's the FIRST notification from CIC, and for inland, it's been taking 4 months for applicants to get one. I think there are some people who don't get this, though asking in the inland thread would give you a better idea.
Ok, thank you.

So I should stay under the radar, wait for AOP, apply for work permit once that happens, and the wait for the final acceptance and PR card? This is the best way for me to go on from now?
And as long as I stay under the radar, generally no issue? I know I've asked this before but would just like your qualified guess, hopefully that could calm me down.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
MapleLeafMan said:
Ok, thank you.

So I should stay under the radar, wait for AOP, apply for work permit once that happens, and the wait for the final acceptance and PR card? This is the best way for me to go on from now?
And as long as I stay under the radar, generally no issue? I know I've asked this before but would just like your qualified guess, hopefully that could calm me down.
i can't be the one to say either way, since i'm not an immigration officer. generally, those without status have not had issue getting approved. that's about all i can really offer about that topic.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
i can't be the one to say either way, since i'm not an immigration officer. generally, those without status have not had issue getting approved. that's about all i can really offer about that topic.
I guess atleast that is good, that people generally havent had issues.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleLeafMan said:
Ok, thank you.

I just corrected one of my previous posts. You can expect your AIP ~ October (not August), based on the current processing times, which often change.

There is nobody that can guarantee anything, regarding CBSA and what, if anything, they might do. All you can do is wait, without doing anything stupid and/or worrying yourself sick.

Now...about that question that I suggested you ask your lawyer...are you going to ask her?!?!

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Ponga said:
I just corrected one of my previous posts. You can expect your AIP ~ October (not August), based on the current processing times, which often change.

There is nobody that can guarantee anything, regarding CBSA and what, if anything, they might do. All you can do is wait, without doing anything stupid and/or worrying yourself sick.

Now...about that question that I suggested you ask your lawyer...are you going to ask her?!?!
Yes, I will make sure to get a hold of them tomorrow. I still have small hope that they might have sent he work permit without me knowing or remember signing it.

No one can guarantee, I know, but all you people here seem very knowledgeable so I respect and hold your opinion high. What's your qualified opinion/guess, will I be fine?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
MapleLeafMan said:
Yes, I will make sure to get a hold of them tomorrow. I still have small hope that they might have sent he work permit without me knowing or remnering signing it.

No one can guarantee, I know, but all you people here seem very knowledgeable so I respect and hold your opinion high. What's your qualified opinion/guess, will I be fine?
i'll give a yes vote. just don't talk about this with ANYONE that knows your name and location!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MapleLeafMan said:
You are probably fine. The chance of CBSA to actually detect you are here without status, and then to actually begin deportation proceedings against you with an inland app in progress, is incredibly slim.

And in fact in at least one of the cases we're seen of this happening, the out-of-status applicant seemed to actually get their inland application fast tracked to the AIP stage simply so they could become legal again (as unfair as that is to others).

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Rob_TO said:
You are probably fine. The chance of CBSA to actually detect you are here without status, and then to actually begin deportation proceedings against you with an inland app in progress, is incredibly slim.

And in fact in at least one of the cases we're seen of this happening, the out-of-status applicant seemed to actually get their inland application fast tracked to the AIP stage simply so they could become legal again (as unfair as that is to others).
How would they be able to detect it without someone telling them?

I'm happy that it's most likely still going to be fine, but I am not happy with the lawyer. This make me think, what else in the application have they messed up?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MapleLeafMan said:
How would they be able to detect it without someone telling them?

I'm happy that it's most likely still going to be fine, but I am not happy with the lawyer. This make me think, what else in the application have they messed up?
CIC in simply reviewing your PR application and looking up your current info, can tell if you are currently in status or not. CIC could then inform CBSA.

As I said though, chances of CBSA actually doing anything about it is slim.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Rob_TO said:
CIC in simply reviewing your PR application and looking up your current info, can tell if you are currently in status or not. CIC could then inform CBSA.

So, I need to have double unluck? First, CIC need to decide to inform CBSA. Then, CBSA has to decide to do something about it?

I am surprised that CIC won't deny my application based on that I don't have legal status.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Rob_TO said:

I read this on CIC: "Spouses and common law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are required to have legal immigration status in order to qualify under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class."

Wouldn't that mean that I'm screwed? :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MapleLeafMan said:
I read this on CIC: "Spouses and common law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are required to have legal immigration status in order to qualify under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class."

That seems to be a new wording to the manuals that was not there very recently, and consensus here at least is that since it was not advertised, the main guide that the public is intended to read wasn't changed, and the forms weren't changed... it is a rule that is not being enforced or not active yet.

The application itself asks you what status you have. So if above rule was really in force, it would stop you from continuing the application process if you chose "out of status", but it doesn't and people out of status are still able to complete the app and send it in.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleLeafMan said:

This language in the guide was changed in September last year. Since you applied in May, the old language (that stated you did not need legal status to apply) was in place then.

Because the new language is future tense ("...who wish to apply...") it wouldn't affect those that applied before the change.

MapleLeafMan

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Rob_TO said:
That seems to be a new wording to the manuals that was not there very recently, and consensus here at least is that since it was not advertised, the main guide that the public is intended to read wasn't changed, and the forms weren't changed... it is a rule that is not being enforced or not active yet.

The application itself asks you what status you have. So if above rule was really in force, it would stop you from continuing the application process if you chose "out of status", but it doesn't and people out of status are still able to complete the app and send it in.
Hm okay. When we sent in the application I still had visitor status, and all of this was done by paper the old fashioned way.