+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not taking Oath

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
Hi there,

We applied for Citizenship, but now my wife is thinking not to take for her.
What will be the consequences for her in future?

Will she able to renew her PR being outside canada?
Will she able to apply for Citizenship again after some years, since i am opting for citizen?

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018
Almost 90% of the countries in the world allow dual citizenship in one way or another. Like India allows OCI - that is almost Indian citizenship (without voting rights and buying agriculture lands). You can go back to your previous country any day you want in these cases. In India, you can stay lifelong with OCI, and you can even apply Indian citizenship again - if you really want that, after 7 years of living in India as OCI.

But if your wife, still doesn't want to take the oath. She needs to cancel/withdraw her citizenship application.

She is a PR and would stay with PR status as long as she satisfies it. She can renew her PR card. She will lose her PR status if she stays 1095 days (3 years) outside Canada in last 5 years (rolling date). Like in Jun 2029 - she should have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days between June 2024 - June 2029. You can only renew PR card, if you satisfy PR condition. More than 730 days in Canada in last 5 years from TODAY. TODAY is any future date, you want to apply PR card.

If in future, she wants to apply for Canadian citizenship, she should again satisfy the condition for Citizenship at that time. Her application at that time may go non-routine, as she has once withdrew her citizenship application.

From your forum chat history: it seems you are Indian in USA. I am guessing your wife is Indian too. If that is the case, Canadian passport give you visa free access to USA. You don't need to get any stamping for USA visa, ever in your life from an embassy. It solves lot of visa hassles when traveling to different countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: thalaivar

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
Almost 90% of the countries in the world allow dual citizenship in one way or another. Like India allows OCI - that is almost Indian citizenship (without voting rights and buying agriculture lands). You can go back to your previous country any day you want in these cases. In India, you can stay lifelong with OCI, and you can even apply Indian citizenship again - if you really want that, after 7 years of living in India as OCI.

But if your wife, still doesn't want to take the oath. She needs to cancel/withdraw her citizenship application.

She is a PR and would stay with PR status as long as she satisfies it. She can renew her PR card. She will lose her PR status if she stays 1095 days (3 years) outside Canada in last 5 years (rolling date). Like in Jun 2029 - she should have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days between June 2024 - June 2029. You can only renew PR card, if you satisfy PR condition. More than 730 days in Canada in last 5 years from TODAY. TODAY is any future date, you want to apply PR card.

If in future, she wants to apply for Canadian citizenship, she should again satisfy the condition for Citizenship at that time. Her application at that time may go non-routine, as she has once withdrew her citizenship application.

From your forum chat history: it seems you are Indian in USA. I am guessing your wife is Indian too. If that is the case, Canadian passport give you visa free access to USA. You don't need to get any stamping for USA visa, ever in your life from an embassy. It solves lot of visa hassles when traveling to different countries.
Thanks for your response, this brings a lot of clarity to me!

1. We came to canada in 2019 September, got our PR September 11 2021... now if she does not opt for Citizenship, can she still renew her PR card in 2026 Sept 11 when it expires?
2. If during 2031 end or mid she thinks of citizenship, can she get PR, since i am a citizen of the country?

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA

1. We came to canada in 2019 September, got our PR September 11 2021... now if she does not opt for Citizenship, can she still renew her PR card in 2026 Sept 11 when it expires?
2. If during 2031 end or mid she thinks of citizenship, can she get PR, since i am a citizen of the country?
1. she can as long as she has been physically in canada for at least 730 days (2 years) from when she signs the renewal application.

2. if she wants apply to for citizenship if during 2031 she needs to have physically be in canada for 1095 days (3 years) out of the last 5 years from the day she signs the citizenship application. you being a citizen does not have any effect on her citizenship application.

-the only way you being a citizen helps her is if you live together outside of canada, those days can be counted towards her residency obligations to maintain pr or when she renews her pr card, Please note that these days outside of canada do not count towards citizenship only for residency obligation

Last edited:

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
1. she can as long as she has been physically in canada for at least 730 days (2 years) from when she signs the renewal application.

2. if she wants apply to for citizenship if during 2031 she needs to have physically be in canada for 1095 days (3 years) out of the last 5 years from the day she signs the citizenship application. you being a citizen does not have any effect on her citizenship application.

-the only way you being a citizen helps her is if you live together outside of canada, those days can be counted towards her residency obligations to maintain pr or when she renews her pr card, Please note that these days outside of canada do not count towards citizenship only for residency obligation
Thank you, that means she can keep on renewing her PR status since i am a canadian citizen?

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018

1. She should have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days between period of 11 Sept 2021 - 11 Sept 2026, to renew PR card on 11 Sept 2026.
2. This question doesn't make sense. You being Canadian has no affect on your spouse immigration. If in 2031 - she wants to apply for Canadian citizenship. She should have more than 1095+ days in Canada in period, mid 2026- mid 2031. This is with consideration that IRCC doesn't change rules.

If she stay outside Canada for more than 3 years, she risk losing PR.
She can never lose citizenship, even if she never come to Canada.

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
1. She should have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days between period of 11 Sept 2021 - 11 Sept 2026, to renew PR card on 11 Sept 2026.
2. This question doesn't make sense. You being Canadian has no affect on your spouse immigration. If in 2031 - she wants to apply for Canadian citizenship. She should have more than 1095+ days in Canada in period, mid 2026- mid 2031. This is with consideration that IRCC doesn't change rules.

If she stay outside Canada for more than 3 years, she risk losing PR.
She can never lose citizenship, even if she never come to Canada.
https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

I am looking at the above which states that my wife can maintain my PR if she lives with me being a canadian citizen..
Can you tell me if i am looking at it in right way?