+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not sure if we would have a chance

Adayoff

Jul 29, 2024
Hi everyone

So in our case, my fiancée (F26) is a Canadian born citizen, I (M29) am an American living in the states. We are currently preparing ourselves to make our next move and for me to move to Canada to be with her permanently and we were debating if we should go as conjugal partners or go to city hall and get married before our ceremony, but the catch is I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis). To my understanding if we do get married and file for the PR under the spousal class we shouldn’t have to worry about being denied for medical inadmissible would I be correct in this thinking? Where as with conjugal partners we could be denied here. I’ve been diagnosed for about 10 years now, with no or little disease progression in over 6 years now with current DMTs, which the one I’m on is just under the cost threshold yearly in general from info I can find (Kesimpta). I do also know that a lot of the drug manufacturers for these DMTs also offer drug cost support for a lot of different medications.
She was previously married before and had one child with her previous spouse which is one of the main reasons we are not looking to move to the states instead. They have been legally divorced for 4 years now. I currently work for AT&T as a store manager, and have several contacts higher within the company that would secure me a spot with another wireless carrier company upon approval, be that Rogers or Telus.

Anyone know if any of these situations would throw a glaring red flag at IRCC?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
we were debating if we should go as conjugal partners or go to city hall and get married before our ceremony
Get married.

, but the catch is I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis). To my understanding if we do get married and file for the PR under the spousal class we shouldn’t have to worry about being denied for medical inadmissible would I be correct in this thinking? Where as with conjugal partners we could be denied here.
Medical not an issue in either case. Conjugal likely to be delayed or even refused for other reasons, i.e. no barrier to marriage, no immigration issue.

She was previously married before and had one child with her previous spouse which is one of the main reasons we are not looking to move to the states instead. They have been legally divorced for 4 years now. I currently work for AT&T as a store manager, and have several contacts higher within the company that would secure me a spot with another wireless carrier company upon approval, be that Rogers or Telus.

Anyone know if any of these situations would throw a glaring red flag at IRCC?
On surface of it, don't see anything to worry about. However the real factors would be how genuine your relationship is, how much time together, things like that. So I'm assuming that side of things.

Adayoff

Jul 29, 2024
On surface of it, don't see anything to worry about. However the real factors would be how genuine your relationship is, how much time together, things like that. So I'm assuming that side of things.
I visit for 5-6 days (don’t wanna burn all that PTO for one trip) every other month barring November-January 1st due to work policies, we have brought her down to the states a couple of times to meet my family and friends down here. Basically tl;dr of our story is we met about 11 years ago playing Minecraft of all things together. After my MS diagnosis I started traveling to go meet all my online friends from over the years, all over the US, UK, Denmark, Germany. Me and her first met in person before we were dating, just good friends on one of my trips and she only lived about 8 hours drive from me, it was her birthday at the time so why not. During Covid, around August of 2020 we were both single for the first time at the same time since we met really and decided why not we’re best friends already let’s try this dating thing. After lockdowns I started visiting much more frequently as she doesn’t have a car and uses the public transport for commuting to work and such (Waterloo region). I proposed earlier this year in Niagara, we have ~6-700 trip photos of us, and probably 70-100k back and forth messages from Discord/Facebook/Skype etc. I’m hoping we have enough travel history at the border to support that part.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We both know that a conjugal application would have zero chance of being approved, right?;)
How they approach on any given day, don't feel comfortable saying, but probably better than zero - maybe not a lot more but some. Marriage still higher chance (low risk overall) in such a case - since for a US passport holder literally no immigration or other barrier even mentioned.

I no longer know, to be honest, but still feel not recommended - esp since delays while they look into it are likely.

It seems to me the goals of the conjugal program are fairly clear, and whether IRCC is strict about interpreting / applying that, it still means for many cases we see here situations that have nothing to do with the original goal.

If they go the absolute minimalist way in terms of demands, then they might as well call it a fiancé visa.

AngelBear

Jun 21, 2024
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-03-2024
AOR Received.
29-05-2024
I (M29) am an American living in the states.
Hello fellow American!

To my understanding if we do get married and file for the PR under the spousal class we shouldn’t have to worry about being denied for medical inadmissible would I be correct in this thinking?
As for inadmissibility, you would not have to worry about that with being married. I, too, have health situations that I was scared would surly make me inadmissible, do to excessive cost, but with doing research on the subject, I found that if you are married, only reason to be inadmissible would be something contagious and could put the public in harms way. MS is definitely not contagious, nor is my health issues. I did my medical, and passed with flying colors.

I would say if you and her are sure of this relationship, and feel it will flourish, go ahead and tie the knot. I definitely think spousal would be better than conjugal. Even though we as American's have it a bit easier coming to Canada than others, we are still National Immigrants here, so we still have to play the immigration game. My application process was started March 10th of this year, and still in process to this day.

Good luck with how you proceed, and with your application process.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Medical issues not an issue for spouses but your ability to access treatment and medication should be a consideration. Canada doesn’t have a national pharmacare program. Does your fiancée have a drug program through her employer? Have you looked into medication access in the province you live in and costs?