+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-accompanying Spouse sponsorship

Cakes88

Mar 5, 2018
Hi I'm thinking to apply for PR and register in the EE and set my wife as a non-accompanying which will get me a higher CRS score and secure my ITA and I'll sponsor my wife after I've got the PR.

The questions are:
- what is the possibility to get temporary visitor visa for my wife while still on spouse sponsorship progress?

-if she decide to continue study in Canada while her sponsorship still in progress, can she get her student visa approved?

Any comments will be appreciated

Cheers,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should assume your wife will not be able to come to Canada while the sponsorship application is being processed. Chances are on the low side that a visitor visa will be approved. Same goes for the study permit. Having said that - some people get lucky and are approved.

Note that as a PR, you will have to be living in Canada at the time you apply to sponsor your spouse and will have to continue living in Canada while the application is being process (until it's finalized). Occasional short (2-3 week) trips outside of Canada are OK. Anything longer and you'll risk having the application refused.

Cakes88

Mar 5, 2018
You should assume your wife will not be able to come to Canada while the sponsorship application is being processed. Chances are on the low side that a visitor visa will be approved. Same goes for the study permit. Having said that - some people get lucky and are approved.

Note that as a PR, you will have to be living in Canada at the time you apply to sponsor your spouse and will have to continue living in Canada while the application is being process (until it's finalized). Occasional short (2-3 week) trips outside of Canada are OK. Anything longer and you'll risk having the application refused.
Are the chance will be higher if she try to apply study permit first and after it got approved, we start the spouse sppnsorship inland?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are the chance will be higher if she try to apply study permit first and after it got approved, we start the spouse sppnsorship inland?
No - I would say the same chances. Since you have PR, there's a good chance CIC will think she is using the study permit as a means of moving to Canada to become a PR. But again - she can certainly try.

sahilng

Sep 2, 2019
Hi All,

I have a CoPR and visa stamped on my passport which is valid till Aug'20.
In my PR application, I had mentioned my wife as non-accompanying spouse since she wan't planning to move to Canada that time. Now our plans have changed and she is ready to move with me.
Question is - How can we get PR approval for her in this situation? Can anyone please guide us here?

Thanks
Sahil

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

I have a CoPR and visa stamped on my passport which is valid till Aug'20.
In my PR application, I had mentioned my wife as non-accompanying spouse since she wan't planning to move to Canada that time. Now our plans have changed and she is ready to move with me.
Question is - How can we get PR approval for her in this situation? Can anyone please guide us here?

Thanks
Sahil
You will either have to land in Canada before sponsoring her, and then remain in Canada while it's processed, OR (if possible depending on your program) add her to your own existing file before landing, but note that may mean a considerable delay in your own arrival/landing time.

(Possibility of your spouse getting a visitor visa etc separate but related question)

sahilng

Sep 2, 2019
You will either have to land in Canada before sponsoring her, and then remain in Canada while it's processed, OR (if possible depending on your program) add her to your own existing file before landing, but note that may mean a considerable delay in your own arrival/landing time.

(Possibility of your spouse getting a visitor visa etc separate but related question)
Thanks a lot for your reply!
My PR was processed under Express Entry program.
Also, my wife already has a visitor visa on her passport.
To your 1st option of sponsoring her - I'll try to read more about it - process, timeline etc. - Please let me know if you know where can I find those details.
On 2nd option - Given express entry program, how do I add her to my existing file? Can you guide me on this one?

Best
Sahil

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a lot for your reply!
My PR was processed under Express Entry program.
Also, my wife already has a visitor visa on her passport.
To your 1st option of sponsoring her - I'll try to read more about it - process, timeline etc. - Please let me know if you know where can I find those details.
On 2nd option - Given express entry program, how do I add her to my existing file? Can you guide me on this one?
I do not know much about the Express Entry program or how to add a person or consequences; best to post in the EE forum regarding that option.

In normal times (no covid and covid-related travel issues especially), since she already has a visa, your options would basically be:
1) Add to EE application (comment above applies). If you decide that doesn't make sense, the other options are spousal sponsorship.
2) Land in Canada and apply to sponsor your spouse under the 'outland' process. She could visit Canada and actually remain there under her visitor visa (or depart when she needs to). But no work permit.
3) You land in Canada, she arrives to visit, you apply under the Inland process (under which she can extend her visitor visa). It would be best for her not to leave Canada while being processed. A work permit can be obtained as part of the process (I recall others saying takes 3-4 months for the work permit, do not rely on this timeframe).

Note in both cases as a PR you should not leave Canada for anything but short trips during the sponsorship process - only PRs resident in Canada can sponsor family.

As you do research you'll see here for example notes about her entering on visitor visa (possible she could be refused entry if it appears she would not leave, e.g. do not show up at border with all her worldly possessions).

The biggest question marks are all covid-related, e.g. her being allowed entry for 'essential purposes.' If you assume these restrictions will be substantially lifted in near future, that may lead to one set of decisions about how to proceed; if not, who knows?

You can start doing research and collecting documentation, preparing the various forms, etc; they're not identical between the two application types but considerable overlap.