+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4011-FSW

caleb20001

May 9, 2014
Hello Everybody,

My question is with regards to the NOC 4011 which is for "University Lecturers". Reading its description from the NOC website, one thing stands out and that the individual or applicant should be working in a university. It would seem that in Canada, they have sharp distinction between "colleges" and "universities". In other countries that distinction is not that big. Colleges do confer bachelor and post-graduate degrees and professors conduct researches for their personal development. My question is this now, what if there is an applicant who are doing almost all the jobs and responsibilities stated in NOC 4011 but are working in a "college" or an institution which is not classified as university? Will he or she be disqualified in the purview of NOC 4011? Under classified elsewhere, there is an NOC 4021 which is for "college" professors. This NOC seems to be a step lower in terms of qualification compared to NOC 4011 but again it does not answer the situation where a professor with high credentials comparable to the so called "university" professor and yet is working in the colleges.

I hope someone could provide some clarification on this matter.

sahrhp

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
caleb20001 said:
Hello Everybody,

My question is with regards to the NOC 4011 which is for "University Lecturers". Reading its description from the NOC website, one thing stands out and that the individual or applicant should be working in a university. It would seem that in Canada, they have sharp distinction between "colleges" and "universities". In other countries that distinction is not that big. Colleges do confer bachelor and post-graduate degrees and professors conduct researches for their personal development. My question is this now, what if there is an applicant who are doing almost all the jobs and responsibilities stated in NOC 4011 but are working in a "college" or an institution which is not classified as university? Will he or she be disqualified in the purview of NOC 4011? Under classified elsewhere, there is an NOC 4021 which is for "college" professors. This NOC seems to be a step lower in terms of qualification compared to NOC 4011 but again it does not answer the situation where a professor with high credentials comparable to the so called "university" professor and yet is working in the colleges.

I hope someone could provide some clarification on this matter.
It will be at the discretion of the visa officer which college he feels is just a college and which one can be classified equivalent to a university. Like Dartmouth College is a very reputable institution and is one of the ivy league. Yet it still is called College. Such colleges could be classified as equivalent to universities. I think that a college which confers its own degrees (recognised as a degree awarding institution) and is independent of university(s), could interchangeably called a university.

About the matter of College professors, I think (MY OPINION only) that if your college/you conduct post graduate teaching (Masters/PhD, this startsafter 16 years of education is completed!) and your college lecturers usually have masters (18 years) or PhD (20+ years) degrees, then I guess you can be classified as 4011.
Canada has colleges which impart vocational training and 2 to 3 year bachelor degrees. They do not offer 4 year Bachelor and 2 year masters degrees. The teachers in these colleges could are classified in 4021.

Which ever classification your college falls into, you'll be in that NOC. Visa officers are very particular about NOC classifications and when he/she'll notice you are employed by a college, they might research into your case even more.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
caleb20001 said:
but again it does not answer the situation where a professor with high credentials comparable to the so called "university" professor and yet is working in the colleges.
If you are a professor but are working in a school that is designated as a "college" - then you definitely fall under the college NOC and not the university NOC. The NOC indicates your experience. You may be trained as a university professor - but what matters is where you are actually working.

To use an extreme example, this would be no different than someone who is trained as a doctor working in a completely different profession (e.g. accountant). They may be trained as a doctor - but they fall under the accountant NOC because that's where their experience is.

sahrhp

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
What scylla said is very true. But take this example.
Some college like many in USA- Dartmouth, Reed, Amherst etc called Liberal arts colleges, have very similar and almost equal standing with universities. They confer their own degrees, have professors with PhDs and conduct active research. Believe it or not, Reed College has its own nuclear reactor!
So indeed some "colleges" could interchangeably be called universities, but then there are community colleges which couldn't.
It all depends on your college's standing and not too much with your credentials and duties!

caleb20001

May 9, 2014
Thank you for the clarifications. The reason I am asking this because in my case I was teaching in universities before but by using the "within the past 10 years" qualifier it would seem that experience would not be counted. I was hired to become the department head by a college in my country. Again this "college" offers graduate and undergraduate programs and conduct research as well. Because this was full time job and a professional upgrade, I gave up my teaching stint in universities. My next job was working in reputable college abroad which somehow also does the same thing but has the term "college" in its name.

POKLINK

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
Hi all, i am a technologist working in the university and my job duties are
Demonstration and teaching of hematology and blood transfusion practical work to medical and dental students,
preparing and updating of laboratory manuals
prepare laboratory assignments, reports and examination
preparation of reagents used and participate in both students theory and practical examinations supervision
participate in all departments scientific research work and preparation of postgraduate examination including other duties assigned by the Head of Department
Since medical laboratory technologist is not included in the list can i apply for noc 4011

mia88

May 9, 2014
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Lahore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!
Im applying under this NOC too.
Can anyone tell me what do they mean by this education requirement?
"A master's degree in the field of specialization is required for university lecturers."

I have done MPhil Economics and I am teaching Maths in a University.
Am I eligible to apply?Im not teaching Economics but Maths.

Also my title for the 1st year was Teaching Associate and then i got the title of Teaching Fellow. As a teaching assisstant too i was giving lectures to the bachelors students! Its just my university policy to have atleast 1 year experience in teaching to get the title of Teaching Fellow.

Since this occupation is up for immigration for the 1st time, i guess people will be confused as to what is required n what fits 100% into this category.

Can some1 please help me with this? about my eligibility?

caleb20001

May 9, 2014
HI Mia,

I think the NOC requires that you are also teaching graduate studies students as well. I am also not sure about this. Maybe someone can shed more light.

Regards

rocky29

May 7, 2014
Re: NOC 4011-FSW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Hi!
Im applying under this NOC too.
Can anyone tell me what do they mean by this education requirement?
"A master's degree in the field of specialization is required for university lecturers."

I have done MPhil Economics and I am teaching Maths in a University.
Am I eligible to apply?Im not teaching Economics but Maths.

Also my title for the 1st year was Teaching Associate and then i got the title of Teaching Fellow. As a teaching assisstant too i was giving lectures to the bachelors students! Its just my university policy to have atleast 1 year experience in teaching to get the title of Teaching Fellow.

Since this occupation is up for immigration for the 1st time, i guess people will be confused as to what is required n what fits 100% into this category.

Can some1 please help me with this? about my eligibility?

Mia08, Its if you have Masters Degree in economics, your should be teaching in similar subject of specialization, that is wot my Consultancy has told me.

mia88

May 9, 2014
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Lahore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I asked one of the consultants....he said It doesnt matter =l...
But since this NOC is in the list for the first time, i dont think any1 can suggest about it 100% =l..
I am really confused.

rocky29

May 7, 2014
@mia88

I think yu just proceed vid your application and leave it to visa officer to make d final decision ;) ;)

Good luck vid your application

btw at wot stage are you of your application??

mpreet78

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all
I am assistant professor in an Autonomous College. The college has the academic autonomy.
The syllabus is designed by the college. The exams are prepared and conducted by the college administration.
The faculty including myself is also involved in research. But the final degree to the students is given by the university to which the college is affiliated. I am Assistant Professor in Information Technology. My question is that: Am I eligible for 4011 category? If yes then what will be my job title?
Senior members please reply.

shalinipuri

May 24, 2014
Hi all,
I am an assistant professor in an engineering college affiliated by university and having master degree in computer engineering and perform all the roles and responsibilities of 4011 will I qualify for the 4011 category

ZKZ

Oct 16, 2014
hey, i want to know that i have 17 years of education i have done Pharm D that is the graduation degree. i am teaching as a lecturere in university. i meet all the criteria except i of postgraduation. i am doing M.phil I have complete my course work i have mark sheet. but i didnt complete the thesis yet i dont have degree. it would be completed till the end of 2015.

kindly tel that i qaulify for NOC-4011 or not or shall i apply for this.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ZKZ said:
hey, i want to know that i have 17 years of education i have done Pharm D that is the graduation degree. i am teaching as a lecturere in university. i meet all the criteria except i of postgraduation. i am doing M.phil I have complete my course work i have mark sheet. but i didnt complete the thesis yet i dont have degree. it would be completed till the end of 2015.

kindly tel that i qaulify for NOC-4011 or not or shall i apply for this.
First requirement is to evaluate your education via WES or ECA. If these agencies think ur education is equal to masters in canadian education system. Then only u can think of applying under 4011 noc. So try apply and see what they say