+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

no surname but express entry online profile wrote it to be mandatory field

preet.kamal38

Apr 15, 2019
My friend, in these kind of situations, CIC has provided an open path to add a "Letter of Explanation" to describe each and everything which is confusing or which you think would cause confusion.
can letter of explanation work if i get my surname changed in passport and ielts trf don’t have surname?

Ruchi2019

May 21, 2019
Hi Friends,
I just found an authentic answer on CIC website.

What do you mean by surname?

Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a surname on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the given name field.

Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=4.2

Updated info on official website:-

Your surname is your family name. It is also called your “last name.” When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document.

Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”

Preeti17

Aug 20, 2019
I am on verge of filling a WES profile but got stuck due to Single name on academics although , Passport has the complete name and surname e.g
Name of all Academics -Manu( Single name ) ,While name on passport is Manu Bakshi .....please guide how should I fill the WES profile with single name as MANU...as first name and surname is mandatory for WES profile .
Hey i am facing similar situation..how did you complete your WES profile??

Ruchi2019

May 21, 2019
Hey i am facing similar situation..how did you complete your WES profile??

Be advised that if you have only one name, please enter a period (.) in either the first or last name field in the online application (whichever u dont have).

Preeti17

Aug 20, 2019
My name on passport is preet kaur dhillon but name on education credentials is preet kaur.. what name should i use for my WES application

Neha12

Nov 16, 2019
Hi, I have applied to IQAS for assessment for immigration purpose.
I have a general query about personal information. My Given name xxyy is mentioned on passport and educational documents, no surname is there.
When i registered on IQAS portal, the first name and middle name is optional and last name is mandatory. So i wrote "xxyy" in last name option because it was mandatory to fill up . After that i uploaded all information regarding mailing addresses and educational details. But at the payment time, I got the order form where first and last name are mandatory; the option of first name shows empty(editing is freezed there) and last name is automatically filled as "xxyy", kindly suggest.

addyfreek

Mar 10, 2020
I am also facing same issue while filling express entry profile as I don't have last name. Registration was successful. But while entering details for Given name and Last name as per mentioned above both are required fields, So name is repeating twice.

Jul 30, 2018
Hi, it means if I have first and last name on passport, but don't have last name on college documents then I can use last name as in my passport or - in last name ?

aspirant29

Jan 5, 2022
Hi, I have applied to IQAS for assessment for immigration purpose.
I have a general query about personal information. My Given name xxyy is mentioned on passport and educational documents, no surname is there.
When i registered on IQAS portal, the first name and middle name is optional and last name is mandatory. So i wrote "xxyy" in last name option because it was mandatory to fill up . After that i uploaded all information regarding mailing addresses and educational details. But at the payment time, I got the order form where first and last name are mandatory; the option of first name shows empty(editing is freezed there) and last name is automatically filled as "xxyy", kindly suggest.
Hi .. how did you do it? i am stuck as well

drjaved

Oct 10, 2022
Hi Friends,
I just found an authentic answer on CIC website.

Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a surname on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the given name field.

Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=4.2
The reference link states this

If you’re applying to sponsor your family, you can’t validate Schedule A (eIMM 5669) with the given name field empty. If you need to leave it blank for the above reason, you can print it without validating it, and include a letter with your application explaining why you had to do this.

onkar007

Mar 6, 2023
For express entry profiles - both given name and last name fields are marked as mandatory
However, it'd allow you to submit the given name as blank.

At least that's what I was able to do. If it doesn't allow the first time, try transmitting and then editing the family info again.
I hope this helps :)