+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New processing times? Outland vs. inland?

Kahisys

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Greetings.

With the new way applications are handled, I had a hunch it'd change processing times, which ended up being true: now the inland applications take about as long as the outland ones to process.

Living in Canada right now, I was going to send my application outland for the smaller processing time in order to get health care quicker, despite not being able to get any work permit of sort.
Now that they're both the same time, isn't it better to send my application inland and get the benefit of temporary work permit?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
That's still just an 80% approval time.

Now, historically, IRCC's times on their website are horribly inaccurate. I seriously am skeptical that this will change.

There is no way to know what's going to happen, however. Remember, in the past, a VO would say 17 months but actually take 4-6 months for outland. They might be compensating outland app times to improve inland app times, but they also (allegedly) hired a lot more people.

As of yet, no one using the new forms has been approved as it's only been a couple months (at least that I know of) but the current times seem to be on par with the old times.

In summary, no one knows. I am fairly confident the inland apps are still going to take longer than a majority of outland. But, I could be wrong. It's really up to you if you want to try for the shorter outland app. I don't see any reason not to if you don't need the work permit.

Kahisys

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Thing is, I do need that work permit. But I'd rather not stay without healthcare for too long, you never know what can happen. I've already been over a year without it and it'd be better not to keep it for too long.

Which is why I'm hesitating. It's a worthy risk but...

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Kahisys said:
Thing is, I do need that work permit. But I'd rather not stay without healthcare for too long, you never know what can happen. I've already been over a year without it and it'd be better not to keep it for too long.

Which is why I'm hesitating. It's a worthy risk but...
What province are you in? I believe Alberta gives health care to those with a permit at least 6 months in duration.

I'm not going to say outland is the way you should go, if you need money asap, inland might be the better route. You should really have some kind of travel insurance at least. Look into it. My husband broke his collar bone severely when he had no medical. It cost us $5,000 :p

Kahisys

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
I'm in New-Brunswick, so I doubt I'll get anything. ;D

Though frankly, I doubt I could get any insurance right now, I mean I kind of am living with each dollar as we get them. But yeah, to help my partner, I definitely feel inland is better.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Kahisys said:
I'm in New-Brunswick, so I doubt I'll get anything. ;D

Though frankly, I doubt I could get any insurance right now, I mean I kind of am living with each dollar as we get them. But yeah, to help my partner, I definitely feel inland is better.
Hmm, well, on the NB website, it does not list "work permit holders" as excluded. You should look in to it.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/health/MedicarePrescriptionDrugPlan/content/medicare/Eligibility.html

Kahisys

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Huh! Well that's definitely something I could look into. If I could get both the medicare AND the work permit it'd just be perfect.