+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
What do you mean?
It means that the TRV(Or Visa) issued to you and your partner, before getting your study permit at the POE was probably valid for the first 2 years of your stay here and is only issued for the purposes of travelling to and entering Canada. Your status in Canada is independent of that TRV, but on the current permit you have - Hence issuance at the POE.

So while their Visa has expired, they continue to maintain status in Canada as long as they have a valid study/work/whatever permit.

So:

TRV(Visa) -- Allows you to Enter Canada
Permit -- Allows you to stay in Canada by conferring you a status

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yes, that is correct. It is only my wife's visa that is expired; mine was issued for 10 years.

But yes, our work permits are valid until 2023. Do you feel this doesn't matter for the PR application? She doesn't need to apply for a new visa before it? Again, we won't travel - we cannot travel now.

Reactions: kloppity

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
Yes, that is correct. It is only my wife's visa that is expired; mine was issued for 10 years.

But yes, our work permits are valid until 2023. Do you feel this doesn't matter for the PR application? She doesn't need to apply for a new visa before it? Again, we won't travel - we cannot travel now.
I'll be applying on May 6th without a TRV. My TRV expired in March 2020 and with the pandemic (and study permit renewals, PGWP and SOWP applications) I just haven't applied for one.

I know at least one family who just submitted their application under CEC and they just applied for their TRV (which is still pending).

Also, last year I heard that they were asking for valid reasons to travel when applying for a TRV. I don't work in an essential job so I'm not going to muddy the waters further and apply for one now.

Reactions: SatNight

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019

No she doesn't.

Reactions: hhzara

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I'll be applying on May 6th without a TRV. My TRV expired in March 2020 and with the pandemic (and study permit renewals, PGWP and SOWP applications) I just haven't applied for one.

I know at least one family who just submitted their application under CEC and they just applied for their TRV (which is still pending).

Also, last year I heard that they were asking for valid reasons to travel when applying for a TRV. I don't work in an essential job so I'm not going to muddy the waters further and apply for one now.
Thank you! Good point about valid reasons to travel. We sure don't want to put any doubt on our intentions. It's important to know that this won't be a minus for us (my wife's expired TRV).

Reactions: hhzara

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I know, right? They are setting themselves up (and us) for a colossal mess.
It could be, but if what chatty lawyer said is right, then we don't need to panic over the thought of a flood of ineligible applicants collapsing the site as the application wizard will take care of that.

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
I know, right? They are setting themselves up (and us) for a colossal mess.
Even the lawyer was saying they are too optimistic about being able to stop non eligible people from applying. Maybe they are too optimistic about this pathway. How can they not release updates?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Privately, I wouldn't mind if things get slow on May 6th. My wife's language results will be on the 11-12 so we need to wait and hope it's still available. But I understand everyone's frustration.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Even the lawyer was saying they are too optimistic about being able to stop non eligible people from applying. Maybe they are too optimistic about this pathway. How can they not release updates?
Something I can see happening is the program filling within days, and then an announcement saying the program was "a great success". No, if the program fills within days it's not gonna be a success, it's going to suck for thousands of perfectly valid candidates that couldn't get their documents on time just because IRCC was very vague announcing this. I think they should either have announced it earlier or pushed the date back while releasing info about the program in the meantime.

I'm also concerned about the future changes in Canadian Immigration, EE might change soon and if my theory is correct, people with certain occupations will get more points (PNP aside). Today OINP announced a new EOI system that ranks candidates by occupation. If two candidates have the same professional profile but one's an engineer and the other is a translator, the engineer will get twice as many points despite the fact both have perfectly valid job offers. I could see that easily applied to EE.

That aside, now we're in the middle of a pandemic and economically, some countries have been hit harder than others and will take years if not decades for them to recover. Even if Canada plans to welcome more immigrants in the future, I think that as soon as travel restrictions are over and countries start opening up and realizing how hard it's going to be to achieve some sort of economic recovery, more people are going to look to immigrate to other countries and right now, Canada seems like a very attractive option so even if immigration gets more competitive that won't be an issue for Canada because they'll have plenty of candidates to choose from.

So...Let's try to make our applications as perfect as possible so we don't have to worry about EE and cutoff scores ever again

corny.tan

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
For the letter of employment, is it really necessary for it to be dated May 6? I already have a letter of employment given to me by my employer some months back. Does it mean I have to request a new one from him again?

Also, does anyone have a specific format? Like does it need to state my job NOC code?

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Something I can see happening is the program filling within days, and then an announcement saying the program was "a great success". No, if the program fills within days it's not gonna be a success, it's going to suck for thousands of perfectly valid candidates that couldn't get their documents on time just because IRCC was very vague announcing this. I think they should either have announced it earlier or pushed the date back while releasing info about the program in the meantime.

I'm also concerned about the future changes in Canadian Immigration, EE might change soon and if my theory is correct, people with certain occupations will get more points (PNP aside). Today OINP announced a new EOI system that ranks candidates by occupation. If two candidates have the same professional profile but one's an engineer and the other is a translator, the engineer will get twice as many points despite the fact both have perfectly valid job offers. I could see that easily applied to EE.

That aside, now we're in the middle of a pandemic and economically, some countries have been hit harder than others and will take years if not decades for them to recover. Even if Canada plans to welcome more immigrants in the future, I think that as soon as travel restrictions are over and countries start opening up and realizing how hard it's going to be to achieve some sort of economic recovery, more people are going to look to immigrate to other countries and right now, Canada seems like a very attractive option so even if immigration gets more competitive that won't be an issue for Canada because they'll have plenty of candidates to choose from.

So...Let's try to make our applications as perfect as possible so we don't have to worry about EE and cutoff scores ever again
I wouldn't worry about that, only Ontario is being picky about occupations, but Canada has increased intake caps so it really isn't necessary to make things more stringent through occupational bias. Canada has always been the most attractive place for immigration, so that's not new (since 2010 everyone in Dubai had Canada as their end game). COVID is horrible, but one good thing that has come out of it is more immigration options. EOI for Ontario gives people a way better chance than a 25 minute opening per year, and so do these new pathways. There are simply more opportunities coming, not less, because Canada wants immigrants.

Reactions: SatNight

farzadd

Sep 26, 2018
There are some stamps in my passport that are not english. Do I have to translate them?

Also, if they ask for proof of presence in Canada what can we use? Is utility bills and credit card statement enough?