+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
Thanks guys,

What do you mean “valid status”? I am currently under Implied status.

Both my Study Permit and TRV expired and I am waiting for approval of PGWP to renew TRV.

So, any problems?

Thanks so much.
Temporary residents who apply to extend their stay in Canada before the expiry of their respective visitor status or work and study permits have “implied status” in Canada. Implied status simply means that the visitor, worker or student continues to maintain their legal immigration status in Canada until a decision is made on their application to extend their stay. This allows the applicant to legally reside in Canada even though his or her permit has expired, regardless of how long it takes Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process their application.

Read more
https://canadian-visa-lawyer.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-implied-status-in-canada/#:~:text=Implied status simply means that,application to extend their stay.&text=Implied status continues to exist,benefiting from it departs Canada.

sharmi143

Star Member
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I think it doesn't make a lot of sense to open a stream one day and make potential applicants wait X time before submitting their applications. When I applied back in August the letter had to be reasonably recent but that's about it.
times changed! :/ Most of my friends couldn't apply because of this reason. despite them being eligible

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
If that was the case shouldn't they also mention that current students could apply. Why would they ask for graduates? As u see they mentioned the certificate should be awarded.

"Have been granted one of the following credentials, following the completion of a program study from an eligible institution as defined in a): "
Because they want graduates, not people who are only studying in Canada. But this is not the above user's situation. The user HAS graduated from a Canadian University - they simply chose to continue their studies to a higher level. They enrolled in a graduate program. As a result, they both have a diploma AND are still a student.

sharmi143

Star Member
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Because they want graduates, not people who are only studying in Canada. But this is not the above user's situation. The user HAS graduated from a Canadian University - they simply chose to continue their studies to a higher level. They enrolled in a graduate program. As a result, they both have a diploma AND are still a student.
So that my question if that's the case would they specify that? as how they specified the rest of the requirement

jugarsep

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
Is this application going to be online? Will people apply despite having an active application on another stream? (paper based) Will the processing time be faster than paper based? With my wife we applied paper based in January and are considering to apply on May 6, but just not sure if it will be worthy to spend an extra $2600 cad for an unknown processing time...

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
I think the same, too. IRCC stretches out duration from May 6 - Nov 5 with purpose to help those who may have to take Ielts late (after May 6)
Absolutely, this is the reason.. of course, the vast majority won't have their IELTS by May 6. No one expected this. But it won't be open to November because the IELTS results will be coming in every day past may 6..

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
So that my question if that's the case would they specify that? as how they specified the rest of the requirement
Knowing them... no. They didn't specify many things in the announcement; they probably forgot that there are many people with diplomas who are studying at a higher level program and are on the study permit.

But also... if they don't specifically say "you have to be on a work permit"... you don't have to be on a work permit. (Don't take my advice, though. I'm just thinking out loud.)

EDIT: Similarly, if they don't say "employed full time", then it's not full time. If they don't say "NOC 0, A or B", then it's not a requirement. Etc.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
I think it doesn't make a lot of sense to open a stream one day and make potential applicants wait X time before submitting their applications. When I applied back in August the letter had to be reasonably recent but that's about it.
Yep, I think it just needs to be recent.. and if you have an offer letter stating dates of employment, as well as pay statements, then that's all good..

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Absolutely, this is the reason.. of course, the vast majority won't have their IELTS by May 6. No one expected this. But it won't be open to November because the IELTS results will be coming in every day past may 6..
Take a wild guess: when do you think it would close?

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Take a wild guess: when do you think it would close?
I personally think the end of May. That's what immigration experts think (like those on the websites with consultants) and someone above mentioned their lawyer said the same. They're all saying don't wait till July to apply because "we expect it to close within the month". There's going to be a lot of refused applications if people rush to apply with whatever they have, one missing document is a rejection, that's how PR works (it's not a PGWP). Public policy does not mean leniency nor does it mean it's faster to process.

I remember talking to a consultant months back and he said applications for PR should be done over at least 2 weeks to ensure accuracy, this is your final stage, and it is a huge deal and the final stretch, you don't want to mess it up over some minor errors.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Is this application going to be online? Will people apply despite having an active application on another stream? (paper based) Will the processing time be faster than paper based? With my wife we applied paper based in January and are considering to apply on May 6, but just not sure if it will be worthy to spend an extra $2600 cad for an unknown processing time...
The application will be online, but even paper-based PNP's are online now and they still take around 24 months to process. We don't know how the processing times are going to be like for this program but I wouldn't count on it being faster than Express Entry.

In fact, I'm still hesitant to apply because I'd just have to wait a few weeks to be eligible for CEC, but nothing grants that CEC is going to be processed faster.

Reactions: rambag98

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
My wife has an appointment in early June. If she could get one by 15 May, that should be better.
Yes, continue looking, I hope she finds one then. There are so many factors that'll affect how fast the intake cap would fill, like whether or not applicants to other PR streams are allowed to apply here, whether or not you need certain docs immediately (like medical, PCC).. so we can't know what to expect until May 6.

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
The April 12 news - stream "International graduates"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/trpr-international-graduates.html

Very confused regulations, this is my understanding, briefly, as follow:

Conditions (eligibility requirements) applicable to principal applicants
The foreign national must:

a. Have completed study after Jan 2017
b. Have been granted one of the following credentials: degree, diploma, certificate, or attestation (listed in Annex A)
c. Have been authorized to study throughout their education in Canada
d. Be employed in Canada with a valid permit or authorization to work at the time the application for permanent residence is received
e. Have attained a level of language proficiency of at least CLB 5 (no less than 2 years)
f. Reside in Canada with valid temporary resident status (or be eligible to restore their status) and be physically present in Canada at the time the application for permanent residence is received .
g. Intend to reside in a province or territory other than Quebec
h. Have submitted an application for permanent residence using the forms provided by the Department for this public policy and which must include at the time of application all proof necessary to satisfy an officer that the applicant meets the conditions (eligibility requirements) of this public policy, except for evidence required to demonstrate physical presence in Canada at the time of application approval
i. Have submitted their application for permanent residence under this public policy using electronic means
j. The foreign national is not inadmissible under the Act and Regulations

While all supporting documentation necessary to assess whether a foreign national meets the conditions of this public policy must be included at the time of application, officers retain discretion to request additional supporting documentation to confirm admissibility and eligibility throughout the processing of the application.

In other words:
  • Your studying must be finished in Canada
  • Be employed at the time the application for permanent residence is received.
  • You must be physically in Canada.
  • CLB level 5
  • Submitted application forms must include at the time of application all proof necessary to satisfy an officer that the applicant meets the conditions (except for evidence required to demonstrate physical presence in Canada at the time of application approval)
Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: rambag98