+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new here...some clarification needed on where to send our app!

MonsterFX

Sep 24, 2008
Hello visa hopefuls! :)

My husband and I are getting ready to mail out our application -- I have my medical exam tomorrow, but everything else is in order it seems.

I am a US citizen living here in the States (L.A.), and my Canadian husband lives in Vancouver. My question is, where is the best place to send our application -- Buffalo or Mississauga? I've read several different opinions on inland vs. outland, and we are a little confused on which would be better in terms of processing times. I plan on living/staying here in the States during the whole processing time, so I'm not sure if that would necessarily have anything to do with my question so-to-speak.

Secondly, I am a little nervous because I just noticed that the guide states that FBI clearances must be issued no more than 3 months prior to sending in the application. The stamp on my clearance is August 14th -- but my husband and I won't be mailing our application until the end of October (I will be flying up to see him at that time to finalize and go over this whole application together). Clearly, my 3 month mark would be Nov. 14 -- anyone think that's cuttin it kinda close? :/ Or would it not matter since I actually sent in my application before that date, regardless if it gets processed immediately or not?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are staying in the US while you are applying then you are applying outland which is faster anyway. However you do NOT send your application to Buffalo. Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp#step1 and near the bottom of the page you will find this:

The application kit has the address you need for mailing your application to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Mississauga, Ontario (for family members living outside Canada) or CPC in Vegreville, Alberta (for family members living inside Canada).

At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp you can find better instructions for outland application and the exact address.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
If you're staying in the States, you'll file an outland application. ALL outland spousal PR applications are submitted to the Case Processing Center in Mississauga first, and once the sponsorship is approved, CPC-M will transfer the file to the overseas visa office that represents the applicant's country of origin (Buffalo for US citizens).

As far as the FBI clearance - the rule of thumb is that it is supposed to be no older than 3 months when the application is submitted, so you should be okay. The clearances are valid for 6 months - worst case scenario they'll ask you to get another if processing takes a long time, but I haven't read of many Buffalo applicants who are requested to provide new FBIs. Be aware, though, that they may request that you submit a State clearance also - so if you haven't gotten one of those, it might be good to get that nearer to the date you're submitting the ap and that might eliminate the need for a newer FBI later on. Just a thought.

Also, there's quite a bit of useful information on the US2Canada website for spousal applicants from the United States.