+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to double check the conditions for PR status continuity with members here

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi all,

So I got my PR in Aug 2020 and it is valid till Sep 2025. I spent 1 year 2 months (Aug 2020 to Oct 2021) in Canada and then moved back due to family health problems (covid etc) and my own mental health issues. I came back recently (July 2024). So I have 10 months to complete the two years required out of five to maintain the PR status, which I will be completing in May end 2025 (three months prior to my PR card expiration date).

Thereafter, I will apply for PR card renewal. I did share my plan to be abroad and tentative return timeline and subsequent eligibility with IRCC's twitter support handle back in 2021 prior to leaving and they confirmed the same (thing mentioned on their website about two years not being continuous etc).

I just wanted to cross check with the members here. Am I on the right track?

Also, what all documents will I need to submit for PR card renewal? I do have the tax returns for 20-21 and 21-22. I didn’t work for the time I was away. I also have the bank statements and paystubs for my address from 2020 to 2021 (the time I was in Canada earlier).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

So I got my PR in Aug 2020 and it is valid till Sep 2025. I spent 1 year 2 months (Aug 2020 to Oct 2021) in Canada and then moved back due to family health problems (covid etc) and my own mental health issues. I came back recently (July 2024). So I have 10 months to complete the two years required out of five to maintain the PR status, which I will be completing in May end 2025 (three months prior to my PR card expiration date).

Thereafter, I will apply for PR card renewal. I did share my plan to be abroad and tentative return timeline and subsequent eligibility with IRCC's twitter support handle back in 2021 prior to leaving and they confirmed the same (thing mentioned on their website about two years not being continuous etc).

Also, what all documents will I need to submit for PR card renewal? I do have the tax returns for 20-21 and 21-22. I didn’t work for the time I was away. I also have the bank statements and paystubs for my address from 2020 to 2021 (the time I was in Canada earlier).

Thanks!
First of all...your PR status never expires; your PR Card expires.

You seem to be `on the right track'. Just stick to your plan and then submit the renewal application after you have accrued more than* 730 days (looking back 5 years) from the day that you will be submitting the application.

Under the current requirements, in terms of providing evidence of residency, you only need 2 documents. You do NOT need to provide anything more. You could use one bank statement and a lease/rental agreement for example. They should obviously be at different times within that 5 year window. If you choose to use your tax return, make it the latter of the two (21-22).

[*] It may be better to have a buffer of ~ a couple of weeks, or more, beyond the required 730 days in 5 years.

Reactions: JSK_92

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks!
Not related to immigration but assume you inform CRA when you left Canada for a few years.

Reactions: JSK_92

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
NOC Code......
Not related to immigration but assume you inform CRA when you left Canada for a few years.
Just curious. I didn’t. But I will be filing my taxes sometime next month for the missing years (although neither did I work here nor in India during that time).

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
NOC Code......
First of all...your PR status never expires; your PR Card expires.

You seem to be `on the right track'. Just stick to your plan and then submit the renewal application after you have accrued more than* 730 days (looking back 5 years) from the day that you will be submitting the application.

Under the current requirements, in terms of providing evidence of residency, you only need 2 documents. You do NOT need to provide anything more. You could use one bank statement and a lease/rental agreement for example. They should obviously be at different times within that 5 year window. If you choose to use your tax return, make it the latter of the two (21-22).

[*] It may be better to have a buffer of ~ a couple of weeks, or more, beyond the required 730 days in 5 years.
What do you mean by "PR status never expires"?

So I'm planning to give one tax return doc from 21-22 and a bank statement from 2025 next year. Will these two suffice?

Alright. So my 2 years will be done on 23rd May 2025. I will submit the renewal application somewher around 5th June 2025. Thanks for the tip!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just curious. I didn’t. But I will be filing my taxes sometime next month for the missing years (although neither did I work here nor in India during that time).
You need to inform CRA that you have left Canada and ask them to assess your current tax residency status and likely your tax resident status for 2020. If you were not a tax resident there is no need to file taxes.

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
NOC Code......
You need to inform CRA that you have left Canada and ask them to assess your current tax residency status and likely your tax resident status for 2020. If you were not a tax resident there is no need to file taxes.
I was working in Canada until late 2021. Thank you for the tip. I’ll ask my CA about this.

Last edited: