+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help!

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
Hello I am new to this forum and need any advice or help anyone can give me. I am a U.S. citizen all of my life and I am dating a Canadian citizen. We have a son together and we want to be together but the problem is that he is not working at the moment due to being let go. My question is if anyone knows if my son's biological aunt(my boyfriends sister) can sponsor me and my son to become permanent residents of Canada? Thank you for any help you can give to me.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Your boyfriend can sponsor you even if he is not working - there is no income requirement.

You must be able to prove that you are common law partners though which means living together for a consecutive period of 1 year or more, or you need to be married, then he can sponsor you as his spouse. Your son will have canadian citizenship by decent, you will need to apply for his citizenship card.

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
Thank you for your reply but I am partially confused. How can he sponsor me if we have no money to live off of? I thought in order for someone to sponsor me, they would have to prove that they meet the income to do so. Thank you for your help.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Nope, not for spousal etc applications. He will be assessed as a sponsor, and obviously it helps if he has a job. I should've mentioned, if he is on benefits he will not be eligible to sponsor you. EI benefits dont count
How is he supporting himself right now?

lovekitten

Jun 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-11-2010
File Transfer...
22-12-2010
He definitely does not need to be working to sponsor you. He can be receiving Employment Insurance or Disability Benefits, but as long as he's not on any other type of government assistance, even if he is not employed, finances is not considered a reason to keep you guys apart. It's also worth noting that you do not need to have been living together or married to be considered under the family class. Conjugal partners works too, although I guess it would be more difficult to prove. My boyfriend and I have never lived together, but our application is going through under the family class.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
They will want to know how he plans on supporting you, but looking for work, etc, counts.

His sister definitely cannot sponsor you.

Apply for your son's citizenship papers and passport now so they are ready when you are.

If you know at some point you'll be getting married, better to do it sooner and apply through a spousal application. Much easier.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
pinklady said:
If you know at some point you'll be getting married, better to do it sooner and apply through a spousal application. Much easier.
I agree with this!

Conjugal won't work unless there is some reason you can't marry. Since you are both able to enter each others home countries, you would need some reason you can't marry, i.e. someone is still legally married to someone else.
It is very difficult to prove conjugal.

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
pinklady said:
Nope, not for spousal etc applications. He will be assessed as a sponsor, and obviously it helps if he has a job. I should've mentioned, if he is on benefits he will not be eligible to sponsor you. EI benefits dont count
How is he supporting himself right now?
He is living with his parents :(

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
lovekitten said:
He definitely does not need to be working to sponsor you. He can be receiving Employment Insurance or Disability Benefits, but as long as he's not on any other type of government assistance, even if he is not employed, finances is not considered a reason to keep you guys apart. It's also worth noting that you do not need to have been living together or married to be considered under the family class. Conjugal partners works too, although I guess it would be more difficult to prove. My boyfriend and I have never lived together, but our application is going through under the family class.
Interesting information and very helpful. I was on a site reading the rules and it did not say that your boyfriend could sponsor you unless you lived together so I was confused and thought maybe his sister could sponsor us. Having a half canadian son, I know that will come in handy as well. Thank you

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
awor said:
They will want to know how he plans on supporting you, but looking for work, etc, counts.

His sister definitely cannot sponsor you.

Apply for your son's citizenship papers and passport now so they are ready when you are.

We would have been married but we were worried about him not having a job so if things go the way they did according to the help on here, we will be getting married soon. I am also currently a month pregnant with our second child and was hoping to become a permanent resident before our 2nd child was born. If so, would that child only be considered a Canadian citizen? I do not know if America will honor my 2nd child's citizenship if the child was not born in America but the child's mother(me) is American and plans to stay and American citizen.

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
zebosgirl said:
We would have been married but we were worried about him not having a job so if things go the way they did according to the help on here, we will be getting married soon. I am also currently a month pregnant with our second child and was hoping to become a permanent resident before our 2nd child was born. If so, would that child only be considered a Canadian citizen? I do not know if America will honor my 2nd child's citizenship if the child was not born in America but the child's mother(me) is American and plans to stay and American citizen.
I meant a Canadian citizen only? I want my 2nd child to be allowed in the states too and the second child to be also considered an American citizen

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
If one parent is Canadian and one is American, it doesn't matter where the child is born, the child(ren) gets dual citizenship. You just have to send away, asking for it, from the country the child wasn't born in.

Buffalo is processing 80% of cases in 11 months, but the sponsor portion takes a month or more extra. There's a high chance you won't have PR before the baby is born.

zebosgirl

Jul 4, 2011
awor said:
If one parent is Canadian and one is American, it doesn't matter where the child is born, the child(ren) gets dual citizenship. You just have to send away, asking for it, from the country the child wasn't born in.

Buffalo is processing 80% of cases in 11 months, but the sponsor portion takes a month or more extra. There's a high chance you won't have PR before the baby is born.
I kind of was figuring I would not be up there in time for this birth. Sigh*.....thank you for the information.