+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help In SOWP application process

mayursinh092

Jul 21, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on the following matter. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I need suggestions regarding this matter. Please guide me, as your guidance is very important to us. My girlfriend and I came to Canada on study permits. We got married in Ontario in February 2024. She has a three-year Post-Graduation Work Permit (which will expire on October 18, 2026), and I have a one-year work permit (which will expire on January 22, 2025). She is working full-time in the healthcare profession, and I am working full-time as a restaurant supervisor.

To extend our stay in Canada, we plan to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) for me.

1. How should I apply for the SOWP? Would it be beneficial to use an immigration agent's services?
  2. Who should be the primary applicant? Should the application be processed using her GCKey account or mine?
  3. Since we both have full-time jobs in Canada under Tier 2, how much proof of funds is required?
  4. Do I need to provide documents such as a joint bank account, rental agreement, photos, chat conversations, or an explanation letter about our past life to support my application?
Thank you for your help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on the following matter. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I need suggestions regarding this matter. Please guide me, as your guidance is very important to us. My girlfriend and I came to Canada on study permits. We got married in Ontario in February 2024. She has a three-year Post-Graduation Work Permit (which will expire on October 18, 2026), and I have a one-year work permit (which will expire on January 22, 2025). She is working full-time in the healthcare profession, and I am working full-time as a restaurant supervisor.

To extend our stay in Canada, we plan to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) for me.

1. How should I apply for the SOWP? Would it be beneficial to use an immigration agent's services?
  2. Who should be the primary applicant? Should the application be processed using her GCKey account or mine?
  3. Since we both have full-time jobs in Canada under Tier 2, how much proof of funds is required?
  4. Do I need to provide documents such as a joint bank account, rental agreement, photos, chat conversations, or an explanation letter about our past life to support my application?
Thank you for your help.
This is not a family sponsorship issue for PR. Post under foreign workers.