+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Expert advise: Preparing for PG diploma in Canada

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Hi All experts and the respected forum members!

I am at the onset of my preparation for my PG diploma studies commencing in Jan 2013. I am opting for a 1 year program at Georgian College, Barrie, Ontario. Below is my background and my queries:-

Background: A 26 year old professional with a 5+ years of work experience mainly in to KPO's.
- Scored 82% in 10th standard (2002)
- Scored 72% in 12th standard(2004)
- Scored 62% in Graduation (2007) - Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Instrumentation Honors) - 3 year degree
- IELTS Score of 8/9 broken down as - Listening - 8.5, Reading - 8, Writing - 7 and Speaking - 8.
- Finances: This is where I struggle a little bit, With the course fee being 12K CAD and Living cost being around 10K CAD and some additional 3k CAD overheads. I need to be at around 25k CAD in total.
- I am getting a loan sanction letter for Educational purpose for around 16k CAD.

Queries:
1) I was suppose to go last year but due to some family emergency I had to defer the college application before applying the visa. But now when I am about to apply for Jan '13 session they say I can not put it under SPP and have to file it under General Category since my gap of last degree is over 5 years.
2) Finance part: Now I can arrange/show finances and balances for upto 27K CAD but if I am suppose to file under General I do not have any other asset like property etc. all we have is our savings. So I am a little hysterical if they would ask for more.
3) I have my Income Tax returns for last 3-4 years but if they ask for my parents, I only have it for the current year and not any previous years.
4) My graduation has been in a different field (Science) whereas my work experience has been into Operations/Management and hence I chose the International Business Management diploma as my PG preference. Do you think that will be an issue?
5) What other things or questions should I prepare for in order to crack the interview?
6) This is again a lil tricky - Last month I applied for a 3 month travel visa for USA just to meet a few of my friends and travel but they rejected my application during my Counselor session at the embassy saying that they were not sure of my intentions as my travel was being paid for by my US friend. I do not have any such rejection on the passport though its clean, but do you think this can mess up my Study visa filing for Canada?

Please advise as I really need to enter the Jan '13 session for BINT at Georgian College and I want to make sure that I get through. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
J

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Also, I have the college offer letter for Fanshawe and GBC but I am going to pick between Marketing Management (Fanshawe) or International Business Management (Georgian), both 1 year PG diploma with co-op.

About my work ex. I am currently working as a Project coordinator in an Online Market Research Panel/survey company for last 2.5yrs.

Please suggest.

tiger007

Champion Member
thejfever said:
Hi All experts and the respected forum members!

I am at the onset of my preparation for my PG diploma studies commencing in Jan 2013. I am opting for a 1 year program at Georgian College, Barrie, Ontario. Below is my background and my queries:-

Background: A 26 year old professional with a 5+ years of work experience mainly in to KPO's.
- Scored 82% in 10th standard (2002)
- Scored 72% in 12th standard(2004)
- Scored 62% in Graduation (2007) - Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Instrumentation Honors) - 3 year degree
- IELTS Score of 8/9 broken down as - Listening - 8.5, Reading - 8, Writing - 7 and Speaking - 8.
- Finances: This is where I struggle a little bit, With the course fee being 12K CAD and Living cost being around 10K CAD and some additional 3k CAD overheads. I need to be at around 25k CAD in total.
- I am getting a loan sanction letter for Educational purpose for around 16k CAD.

Queries:
1) I was suppose to go last year but due to some family emergency I had to defer the college application before applying the visa. But now when I am about to apply for Jan '13 session they say I can not put it under SPP and have to file it under General Category since my gap of last degree is over 5 years.
2) Finance part: Now I can arrange/show finances and balances for upto 27K CAD but if I am suppose to file under General I do not have any other asset like property etc. all we have is our savings. So I am a little hysterical if they would ask for more.
3) I have my Income Tax returns for last 3-4 years but if they ask for my parents, I only have it for the current year and not any previous years.
4) My graduation has been in a different field (Science) whereas my work experience has been into Operations/Management and hence I chose the International Business Management diploma as my PG preference. Do you think that will be an issue?
5) What other things or questions should I prepare for in order to crack the interview?
6) This is again a lil tricky - Last month I applied for a 3 month travel visa for USA just to meet a few of my friends and travel but they rejected my application during my Counselor session at the embassy saying that they were not sure of my intentions as my travel was being paid for by my US friend. I do not have any such rejection on the passport though its clean, but do you think this can mess up my Study visa filing for Canada?

Please advise as I really need to enter the Jan '13 session for BINT at Georgian College and I want to make sure that I get through. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
J
Hi,

Good profile. If you had a 4 years degree or a Bachelor's+PG degree form your home country, clear GMAT .. you could easily be eligible to apply for MBA in most of the recognized Canadian universities. You can still apply to some of the lower rung MBA's such as form TRU or VIU, but those are pretty expensive and not worth the amount you will be investing. You can also look forward to do 2 years PG courses, so as to secure a 3 years PGWP.

1. Yes, you cannot/should not apply under SPP. You may be labelled as ineligible to apply under SPP, because of long study gap. Apply under general/generic stream, and in reality you need to produce more paperwork like ITR etc under general stream. Rest all same. So, don't worry. Its not that if you apply under SPP your chances will be higher and vice versa.. it doesn't matter you apply under SPP or general, as long as your profile is good, course selection is proper and loan letter/finances is at place.

2. Even if you see the checklist under general stream for study visa application, (http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/pdf/study_permit_17-05-2012.pdf) they have mentioned they "PREFER" an educational loan total equivalent to ATLEAST 80% of 1st year tuition fees +living expenses+travel expenses. So you total expenses are 12k fees +8k living expenses +2k for airfare (even though they have asked for only 8k, better to keep overhead of 2k extra)= 22k CAD. So 80% of that is approx 17.6k CAD. So..nearby that 16k CAD is good enough. As long as you have a loan amount and show your ITR, savings etc to sow your other sources of funding, there should be no problem form finance point of view.

3. It's OK. You current and past ITR's will do. Unless you mention, that entire remaining expenses is being paid by your parents (on an affidavit), there should be no need of your parents ITR of previous years. But it's always better to show source of funding in detailed way..and so your parent's previous ITR wouldn't hurt.

4. That MIGHT be an area of concern if you were to directly apply after your BSc degree, even though honestly speaking IB PG programmes are open to students of any field. But since you have experience in operations/management. SO, this shouldn't worry you. Still, to be on safer side, with your general visa application, attach a 1 page solid, to the point, crisp and simple SOP as to why you want to do this course, how it is relating to your previous work ex and what you plan to do with this PG certificate in IB and how it will help you in you career growth/ long term plans. Portray positive points and your enthusiasm..

5. To the best of my knowledge, there should be no interview, for study visa... if you are form India.

6. As long as you have done no illegal activities, your name is not on Interpol wanted list (okay too much..may be on some illegal list ;) )..or something like that, cancellation of American visitor visa has nothing to do with you getting a Canadian study permit. Canada is a great sovereign nation, and it will take independent decision totally based on your overall profile... whether to grant you study permit or not.

Hope it clears your queries.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Hi Tiger!

A BIG Thank you to revert to my queries and yes your answers help much. A lil confused bout the ITR/Finance part.

Here's my situation (converting INR into CAD):

- I can not apply for 2 years PG diploma as the maximum I can spend/arrange is 27K as I mentioned in my post. I wish to stay there for longer though, but even though I have the brains and academics and experience its the money that halts my aspirations (Super sad) :( Hence a 1 year PG diploma at Georgian with 1 year PGWP. But if you know any way I can get it extended I'd like to know!!

-I have savings of around 20K CAD which I am going to fix as a FD and against which I will be taking the loan of 17-18K CAD.
- The remaining 8-10K CAD will be financed and supported by my Parents mainly my Mom.
- I have a ITR of 4 years but my Parents have it only for current year not before that. My mom never filed for it because she never had to pay any Tax as she never fell into the IT bracket before.

And no I do not have any illegal record [I am a decent/shareef bachcha.. ;) :D] lol.

I am getting my file prepared and my applications processed by Education consultants called The Chopras out here in New Delhi.

Again.... A very BIG Thank you for taking time out and looking into this!

Can I add you to my buddy list?

Thanks!
J

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Also, I have a real brother (he's married) who lives with us and both my brother and sister in law are working and have ITR's for last 2 years. Do you think I can show their ITR's instead of my parents?

tiger007

Champion Member
thejfever said:
Hi Tiger!

A BIG Thank you to revert to my queries and yes your answers help much. A lil confused bout the ITR/Finance part.

Here's my situation (converting INR into CAD):

- I can not apply for 2 years PG diploma as the maximum I can spend/arrange is 27K as I mentioned in my post. I wish to stay there for longer though, but even though I have the brains and academics and experience its the money that halts my aspirations (Super sad) :( Hence a 1 year PG diploma at Georgian with 1 year PGWP. But if you know any way I can get it extended I'd like to know!!

-I have savings of around 20K CAD which I am going to fix as a FD and against which I will be taking the loan of 17-18K CAD.
- The remaining 8-10K CAD will be financed and supported by my Parents mainly my Mom.
- I have a ITR of 4 years but my Parents have it only for current year not before that. My mom never filed for it because she never had to pay any Tax as she never fell into the IT bracket before.

And no I do not have any illegal record [I am a decent/shareef bachcha.. ;) :D] lol.

I am getting my file prepared and my applications processed by Education consultants called The Chopras out here in New Delhi.

Again.... A very BIG Thank you for taking time out and looking into this!

Can I add you to my buddy list?

Thanks!
J
Check your inbox.

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
wanted to PM you but I dont see that as an option but- if I go for a 2 year then shouldn't the living and are fare be $8000X2= $16000 CAD + $3000X2= $6000 CAD. That means $24000 CAD plus Tuition fee ($23000 min.), so a Total of over $45000 CAD?

tiger007

Champion Member
thejfever said:
wanted to PM you but I dont see that as an option but- if I go for a 2 year then shouldn't the living and are fare be $8000X2= $16000 CAD + $3000X2= $6000 CAD. That means $24000 CAD plus Tuition fee ($23000 min.), so a Total of over $45000 CAD?
Hi,
You cannot PM, unless you become full member.

You got it wrong. Read my previous message carefully. 2years course is actually 16months.
Lambton college, Toronto fees is cheapest and Toronto, most part time jobs available, and so I reccomended that.

16 months MAX living expense @ 500$/month(it will be in reality as less as 350$/month)= 16 X 500$= 8000$+23,000$ fees+2000$ for airfare, settlement etc= 33,000$. Over the months, when you will earn by doing part time jobs, then you can easily reduce the living expense to 5000$ form 8000$ .So your actual you need to arrange is max 23000$(less if you can find internship)+2000$+5000$= 30,000$.

So, there is no sense in going for a 1 year course and in end getting only 1 year PGWP, which 2 be frank, will be very difficult for you to find job, work and apply for PR and recover your investment... all within 1 year, especially after pursuing PG certificate course... unless of course you want to come back.

Hope its clear.

Best of luck.

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
There's this 2 year diploma in Business Administration at Red River (manitoba) as well, which has a fee of $18000 do you think that is worth.

Also, for Lambton when I went to the link, the fee mentioned for $18650. why did you estimate $23000? are there any other overheads?

Also, my query regarding my brother's ITR- would that work?

Thanks for helping me thus far, I feel much confident now and shall check about Lambton with my consultant! :)

tiger007

Champion Member
thejfever said:
There's this 2 year diploma in Business Administration at Red River (manitoba) as well, which has a fee of $18000 do you think that is worth.

Also, for Lambton when I went to the link, the fee mentioned for $18650. why did you estimate $23000? are there any other overheads?

Also, my query regarding my brother's ITR- would that work?

Thanks for helping me thus far, I feel much confident now and shall check about Lambton with my consultant! :)
Hi,

Again, you did not read properly. You should read all the information, before you ask questions... I did not makeup the overhead costs by myself... In the Lambton college link:
http://www.lambton.on.ca/Toronto/BMGT/
Clearly mentioned that fees will be 18,650$ (with internship)..but what if you don't get an internship? Considering that..you will need to budget your expenses. So without internship, i.e with coursework 4th sem fees will be 21,850$. Then read below, you will need to pay 100$ per sem as student fees and 200$ per sem as insurance, that brings total to 1,200$ for 4 semesters. So.. your total tuition fees will be 21,850$+1,200$= 23,050$ or approx 23,000$ as I mentioned. In-case if you find internship..then your total cost will be 18,650$+1,200$= 19,850$.

2 year diploma in Business Administration at Red River (Manitoba), which has a fee of $18000 is NOT a PG certificate/diploma course. That is a normal diploma, pursued after 12th standard. You can find many such 2 year diplomas. With your current qualification, if you apply for diploma, you visa will most probably be rejected, for applying to a lower level course. If you are ready to take chances, then you may apply to a lower level 2 years diploma, but it's a big risk. Red river college, Winnipeg has a 1 year PG diploma (not certificate) in IB. It's a 60 credit hour course(unlike 36- 40 for most Ontario PG certificates/year), which is reputed and by doing just 1 year course in Manitoba, one can get PR under priority processing of MPNP student stream with a 1 year PGWP. Under MPNP one needs to work in any full time job for 6 months in Manitoba, before applying for PNP nomination. You may consider this option also, but in my opinion, getting a 3 years PGWP will be much safer.

As I said, from financial point of view, you are good to go, with an educational loan and your ITR record, your parent's current ITR. I think you may include your brother's name as one of your sponsor, then you will need to show your brother's ITR by producing a signed affidavit, where your brother declares that he is one of the person sponsoring you for your Canada studies. I'm not sure about this.. but I think it's possible... and you will need to ask others, consult other agents, people about this part.. Again.. in my opinion, there's no need for that.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Thanks much my friend!

Sorry bout silly questions. But just wanted to make sure my understanding is correct and also I checked with my Education consultants and they agreed that the Canadian Embassy would not conduct any interview for Indian citizens. And another good thing is that one only needs to show finances worth 1 year of living expenses + tuition fees irrespective its a 1 year or a 2 year diploma. :) :)

I checked out a 2 year program which seems pretty impressive. Its Global Business Management at Humber College. Do you think its good and Humber is worth?

tiger007

Champion Member
thejfever said:
Thanks much my friend!

Sorry bout silly questions. But just wanted to make sure my understanding is correct and also I checked with my Education consultants and they agreed that the Canadian Embassy would not conduct any interview for Indian citizens. And another good thing is that one only needs to show finances worth 1 year of living expenses + tuition fees irrespective its a 1 year or a 2 year diploma. :) :)

I checked out a 2 year program which seems pretty impressive. Its Global Business Management at Humber College. Do you think its good and Humber is worth?
Hi,

GBM 2years PG certificate at Humber or Centennial, is a course, specifically made for international students, who would do a 2 years PG level course, just to get a 3 years PGWP.
Now, even though most of these PG certificate courses in Ontario colleges, hold more or less same value, it's still reccomended to do ACTUAL specialization course such as IB, HR,Marketing, Finance etc. AND for getting a 3 years PGWP, only 2 years PG certificate course in Business (in Toronto.. apart from GBM at Humber/Centennial), I see... is the PG B.M programme at Lambton college,Toronto where one can choose real specialization in Finance and Banking OR International Business. Whereas these GBM courses I see no real specialization but a generic indigenous course made by the college, and heavily promoted by the agents.
Back to the point. Whatever you do..if you can arrange 27k$, go for a 2 years PG certificate instead of a 1 year course, atleast if nothing... 3 years PGWP will be assured!

Best of Luck.

thejfever

Sep 1, 2012
Thank you so much my friend... you've helped me a great deal.. I am going to apply for a 2 year course for sure now.

I spoke to my Visa/Education consultant and they confirmed we only need to show 1 year of funding... meeting them this Monday to figure out and apply to respective colleges, will discuss Lambton with them.

When I told them about Lambton they say it is not famous and they dont know of it. Also, we have Vancouver University delegates visiting soon so will check that out as well! :)