+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice on my plan (Study(Coop) -> Job -> Permanent Resident)

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hey Guys, this is my first time posting. I have read a lot of your threads that helps me formed my plan on Canada but I have doubts
if it will go as well as I imagine so I need your advice especially those who have experience on this.

For starters, I am Franz from the Philippines. I am a graduate of B. Computer Science, my goal in Canada is to work and become a permanent resident
Right now my plan
*Take up Masters of Computer Science (My First choice is Waterloo University and Carleton University because they have Coop Program in their Masters)
*After 2 years I have 3 years of work visa (I forgot what its called but I can work for like 3 years)
*During that time I will process my permanent residency

Now my first problem is my choice of University, as much I want to fund my self that is why I chose Coop but from the Universities I found I don't think that can happen. Another thing is that as much I want to take a public University so that I would not need to break my bank account.

If I go to a College instead and get a advance diploma or graduate certificate do you think it would be more practical since it will be cheaper?

I also found out a lot of Coop is optional and if its optional I need to have high grade (80% all grades) and if I did not reach it I can't go Coop, is this true?

Can you guys suggest a economical college that has a good coop program, as much I want to study Masters of Computer Science or related field but I am willing to go to MBA if it will be more practical in my part. The place is also not a problem, except Quebec since I don't know french. Provinces is also advantage for me since it has lower living cost than the major cities.

Thank You Guys, this is a major event in my life and as much I want to make most out of it and you are the only people I know that are experience on this types of event. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It will be much much easier to get a job in Canada and qualify for a PR if you take a Masters here.

oswaldz

Oct 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
QSW
App. Filed.......
to be filed
Passport Req..
27 November 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 November 2015
LANDED..........
15 December 2015
scylla said:
It will be much much easier to get a job in Canada and qualify for a PR if you take a Masters here.
And how about PG and Vocational courses with job offer ?

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
scylla said:
So I guess master all the way? What is your standpoint on Vocational or Colleges? Also can you suggest a University or College that has Masters that has coop and cheap tuition?

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
If you can get into the CS Masters program at Waterloo, you should go, since the university will help at least all the thesis-based Masters students in CS find funding. Even international students. Try contacting an admissions officer at Carleton and Waterloo to find out more about the funding they offer.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hey Guys just a quick question, I found out that Newfoundland is quite cheap to live in.
I check I only need to pay C$17,572.81 for Tuition + Living Cost which is quite cheap compared to Carleston Univ that amount is only my tuition fee

Do you think its worth it? Is Newfoundland a good place to study and work in field of Computer Science or I need to consider Conestoga College and just get a graduate certificate instead but it is on waterloo so it is good?

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
justin777 said:
Hey Guys just a quick question, I found out that Newfoundland is quite cheap to live in.
I check I only need to pay C$17,572.81 for Tuition + Living Cost which is quite cheap compared to Carleston Univ that amount is only my tuition fee

Do you think its worth it? Is Newfoundland a good place to study and work in field of Computer Science or I need to consider Conestoga College and just get a graduate certificate instead but it is on waterloo so it is good?
Only come here if you can't get into a funded master's program anywhere else. I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at MUN, and there are a handful of professors in the faculty who speak incomprehensible English, are close to or over retirement age and still won't retire, and haven't published anything in years. While there are good professors here too, you might want to look elsewhere, since there aren't that many good CS jobs in St. John's either. I will be moving to Ontario or BC to get my master's at a better school after I'm done with my B.Sc. Also the weather is terrible.

Like I said before, you really should inquire about funding from the universities themselves - often the tuition fee won't even matter if the university helps you out with stipends and grants. There is no reason why you should have to attend a college or pay for your master's tuition if you have good marks from your undergraduate CS degree and are interested in research. I know this for a fact - I just visited Waterloo a couple of weeks ago and they told me this.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
elokuu said:
Only come here if you can't get into a funded master's program anywhere else. I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at MUN, and there are a handful of professors in the faculty who speak incomprehensible English, are close to or over retirement age and still won't retire, and haven't published anything in years. While there are good professors here too, you might want to look elsewhere, since there aren't that many good CS jobs in St. John's either. I will be moving to Ontario or BC to get my master's at a better school after I'm done with my B.Sc. Also the weather is terrible.

Like I said before, you really should inquire about funding from the universities themselves - often the tuition fee won't even matter if the university helps you out with stipends and grants. There is no reason why you should have to attend a college or pay for your master's tuition if you have good marks from your undergraduate CS degree and are interested in research. I know this for a fact - I just visited Waterloo a couple of weeks ago and they told me this.
Actually I really like Waterloo after checking what they can provide to students but it is pretty tough for me financially. My undergrad is not that I can say about fair but I am interested on research but I don't think they will help me because I am just interested.

I also emailed their Graduate Studies asking about the Coop Program, it has been 5 days but still no reply. If not MUN I am looking for a budget University, I am afraid on Ontario since its living cost is quite high compared to other provinces. I estimate I will cost around C$20,000 a year (Tuition + Living Cost). I think most grants and stipend are only available for Canadians but not for international students because I research their program and there are hardly programs for us especially Philippines unless its Doctoral which is a different argument.

*sigh*

Finding a university is getting harder and harder, now knowing MUN would be a bad choice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
justin777 said:

Newfoundland is tiny and has few job prospects compare to other provinces. If you can afford Waterloo - definitely go for that. It's an excellent university with an extremely high reputation.

Agreed that most funding is reserved for Canadian citizens and PRs. But some funding is sometimes possible at the Master's level for foreign students.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Can anyone provide me a good contact person for Waterloo University? It has been 5 days but still no contact, how about other universities? Anyone can recommend or comment?

Right now I am researching on University of Saskatchewan and University of Manitoba for they have cheap tuition for international students

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
scylla said:
Newfoundland is tiny and has few job prospects compare to other provinces. If you can afford Waterloo - definitely go for that. It's an excellent university with an extremely high reputation.

Agreed that most funding is reserved for Canadian citizens and PRs. But some funding is sometimes possible at the Master's level for foreign students.
For Master's Level I think I need to compete with other people, considering my grades in Undergraduate I do not think I have any chance on getting a scholarship. What do you think of University of Manitoba? They also have cheap tuition fee but not MUN cheap they are in different level.

I still need more options to choose, my parents are willing to spend as much as C$40,000 but as much I do not like to rely on them because that is their money so if I am gonna take it I want it to spend it wisely. Comfort is not really a problem for me, as much my priority first is to become independent from my family.

elokuu

Jun 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
27-08-2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
02-03-2016
justin777 said:
Can anyone provide me a good contact person for Waterloo University? It has been 5 days but still no contact, how about other universities? Anyone can recommend or comment?

Right now I am researching on University of Saskatchewan and University of Manitoba for they have cheap tuition for international students
I don't know who would be the right person to contact at Waterloo, but you could ask current students of these universities in their respective subreddits. The Waterloo subreddit seems quite active at least.
https://www.reddit.com/r/uwaterloo
https://www.reddit.com/r/umanitoba
https://www.reddit.com/r/usask