+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Natural Disasters or Social Upheaval and Processing Times

Rabbit01

Jan 24, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have just been approved to sponsor my wife, and we are awaiting confirmation that Singapore has received her application. Approval was dated April 30th, so I'm expecting notice soon (by the way, at this stage in the process, who can expect to receive future correspondence from Immigration, me or my wife?).

My wife lives in Bangkok, and with the unrest starting to escalate and spread throughout the city (and maybe soon throughout other parts of the country), I'm wondering what Immigration's policy is regarding fast-tracking applications. It is my understanding that Philippine applications were fast-tracked during the typhoons, and some selected Haitian applications have been given precedence.

I realize that our situation is somewhat different from the examples above, given that the violence in Bangkok has just recently started to escalate, and the current phase of social evolution in Thailand has been going on for a few years now. But whether it is the PAD closing the airport, or the current Red Shirt protests, the situation in Thailand is likely to get worse before it gets better, and could get really bad, very quickly, if it continues to spread throughout Bangkok.

What is the likelihood that Immigration would consider an appeal to fast-track her application, and if so, would a letter to Singapore help at this stage?

Thanks for your help, and thank you to all those people who continue to give priceless advice and support,
Rabbit

I

iarblue

They were natural disasters,they did not rush afgan or iraq or iran so i doubt it.

lands

Jan 28, 2010
Unless the Canadian government makes it a priority, it will be highly unlikely that any applications will be fast tracked. CIC does not have a process to fast track spousal applications based on individual requests..

snolan

Nov 27, 2009
The big question for me is how much is this going to delay the PRV processing time?

1) Do they do BG checks in Thailand, if so as the country is on "curfew" will nothing be done these weeks/all the time it is in curfew?
2) Is this going to cause a backlog of processing the passport (it does go to Bangkok doesn't it?) after a PPR is received?
3) Backlog of interview @ Bangkok wait time if we have to get an interview?

So I guess that raises the questions, is it possible to do the interview/PPR at the Singapore CIC if requested if this situation continues to snowball out of control?

Oi, redshirts you are ruining your country. Maybe if your figurehead was someone who didn't blatantly embezzle money you would have a leg to stand on (because I agree with the cause) but causing a civil war is going to hurt the poor not the rich.

(Just a side rant, I read in a Thai newspaper Thaksin claims he is "simple and like the average man" and than goes on to talk about his thousands upon thousands of dollars in watches, one of which is diamond encrusted.. sounds like your average Thai farmer to me)

lands

Jan 28, 2010
I understand that the Canadian embassy has been relocated...it will for sure delay your processing times..sorry to add to the misery...I think you can request a file transfer...but in this climate..even that might take awhile..The best for now will be to sit back and ride it out...easier said than done..I know...

I agree..every politician is the same...there just playing with the feelings of the average thai person...too bad..THAILAND used to be such a peaceful country...hope things will get back to normal soon..especially with the leaders of the protestors surrending..