+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

the_nick24

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my story of getting the reference letter from my employer.

I received my ITA on 5th april. 8)

Watching the trend of falling scores, I approached my RM on 27th march and discussed of the requirement and relevance of a skill document/reference letter. On that day, my RM said this needs to be discussed with higher management and only then a decision to provide it or not will be taken. :mad: :eek:

For a month, I followed up with RM and HR but nobody was giving a clear reply on whether I would get this letter or not until recently when I explictly mentioned that I won't resign as soon as I get this letter instead this process takes upto an year to complete and I will be serving the project until then.

This critical line broke the deadlock ;D and today I got the reference letter on company's letter head :p 8) in the exact same format as Stanlee gave as comment#2 of this link at page#1.

Cheers to everyone!!!! :) :)

I hope this information will be useful to you. You have to be diplomatic and clever in your approach, only then you can convince your company of such a request.

Give a +1 if you like my post. 8)

bsb111

May 7, 2017
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
21-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfornt
Med's Done....
05-04-2017
Hi All,

Hope you all are good and hopeful. I submitted my application last month and the details are following.

Category: FSW Outland
NOC: 2172 Database Analyst and Administrators
ITA received: 24 March 2017
AOR: 22 April 2017

The thing is that I have been working with only one employer for last 5 years for which I am claiming my employment points.
Now, the top management of the company has decided to move to a new location in a month or so. The current location however will also be in use of the parent company and the telephone number will be operational but under the parent company's management.
My question is will this effect my background check process. What can I do to update my employer's new location and telephone number when it changes and if there is anything else I can do to make things easy for the VOs?

The uploaded Employment Record pdf contained the reference letter, visiting card of signatory and pay slips on the company letter head which contained old official number and address. However the signatory's mobile and email remain the same.

kindly advise.

riaan81

May 15, 2017
Hi Friends,

Can anyone please help to provide your expertise input for the below question.

I joined HP 4 years ago, in 2015 HP split into 2 seperate organizations HPI and HPE and i got aligned to HPE [Same location, same emp ID]. This year HPE got merged with CSC and formed new brand [Same location and same Emp ID]. So my question is ,when i create my Express Entry Profile can i mention as Working from 2013 to till date in New Brand and mention p.k.a HPE in bracket?

Kindly advice.

Last edited:

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hi guys I have a question.
I have been working in a Chartered Accountants firm since over a year and its my first job. I plan to claim points for this work experience. All the duties mentioned in the NOC are a part of my job. However the problem is that its a small CA firm (duly registered) and I am the only employee basically assisting the CA in his work and my salary is paid in cash.
So can anyone let me know what all documents to submit for this work experience to cic? I am not faking anything just that its not a big company and salary is in cash.

kat_ngo

Star Member
Dec 12, 2016
I have a total of 9 years and 7 months of work experience under the same NOC.

1st job - 4 years and 4 months
2nd job - 5 months
3rd job - 2 years and 2 months
4th job - 2 years and 8 months
5th job - Joining a new company in June 2017

I have a reference letter from 1st, 2nd and 4th job while the 3rd company is not keen to give me a letter.

Can I just move the 3rd work experience to personal history and not claim points for that?
I will also put my new job under personal history as it is not convenient to as for a letter as a new joiner.

I believe that it won't affect my score since I will still have a total of 7 years and 5 months of work experience.

Would appreciate if you could advise me on this. Thank you!!!

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
I have a total of 9 years and 7 months of work experience under the same NOC.

1st job - 4 years and 4 months
2nd job - 5 months
3rd job - 2 years and 2 months
4th job - 2 years and 8 months
5th job - Joining a new company in June 2017

I have a reference letter from 1st, 2nd and 4th job while the 3rd company is not keen to give me a letter.

Can I just move the 3rd work experience to personal history and not claim points for that?
I will also put my new job under personal history as it is not convenient to as for a letter as a new joiner.

I believe that it won't affect my score since I will still have a total of 7 years and 5 months of work experience.

Would appreciate if you could advise me on this. Thank you!!!
For the 3rd job u can get a letter from your superior if u can and mention the reason in an LOE stating why u cant get a reference letter. If u are gaining max points for work experience as specified by cic u can use this option of letter from superior

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Hi guys I have a question.
I have been working in a Chartered Accountants firm since over a year and its my first job. I plan to claim points for this work experience. All the duties mentioned in the NOC are a part of my job. However the problem is that its a small CA firm (duly registered) and I am the only employee basically assisting the CA in his work and my salary is paid in cash.
So can anyone let me know what all documents to submit for this work experience to cic? I am not faking anything just that its not a big company and salary is in cash.
if you can provide pay stubs for the salary received in cash and get a reference letter on the letter head it may help

Reactions: dipantika

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Hi Friends,

Can anyone please help to provide your expertise input for the below question.

I joined HP 4 years ago, in 2015 HP split into 2 seperate organizations HPI and HPE and i got aligned to HPE [Same location, same emp ID]. This year HPE got merged with CSC and formed new brand DXC [Same location and same Emp ID]. So my question is ,when i create my Express Entry Profile can i mention as Working from 2013 to till date in DXC and mention p.k.a HPE in bracket?

Kindly advice.
I feel thats a good option as u will be getting your reference letter in the name of the new company if im not wrong

riaan81

May 15, 2017
I feel thats a good option as u will be getting your reference letter in the name of the new company if im not wrong
Thanks for the quick response Jackdawn.

I got one more extended question on top of my previous one.

If my HR/Mgr refuses to provide Emp Reference in IRCC required format after getting ITA, i am thinking to get notarized reference from senior colleagues. In this case, i am thinking to mention company merger information in LOE, provide company URL containing information about merger, attach offer letter [with Old brand Name], ID card copy, Bank statement, Form 16[Income tax], and pay stubs of all 4 yrs. Will this suffice?

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Thanks for the quick response Jackdawn.

I got one more extended question on top of my previous one.

If my HR/Mgr refuses to provide Emp Reference in IRCC required format after getting ITA, i am thinking to get notarized reference from senior colleagues. In this case, i am thinking to mention company merger information in LOE, provide company URL containing information about merger, attach offer letter [with Old brand Name], ID card copy, Bank statement, Form 16[Income tax], and pay stubs of all 4 yrs. Will this suffice?
U will be good to go with all those details

Reactions: riaan81

Shivanker

Feb 19, 2017
Sri Lanka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

The company is refusing to give the Supervisor's details on the letter. I have all other documents including the roles and responsibilities stated. will this be an issue??

Bhoomi12

Star Member
May 14, 2017
HOW TO GET/REQUEST REFERENCE LETTER FROM CURRENT EMPLOYER?

Reference Letter from employer plays a very important role as the document to prove your work experience for migration purposes. Many people have raised the issue on this forum that they are unable to get reference letter(s) from their employer for migration. I would like to highlight some points in this regard which worked for me and might as well work for you guys. After all you can give it a try, and if it works for you, good for you. If you have explored better ways of addressing this issue, please mention it here, so that others can also learn and approach it in a manner which will help them

Requesting a reference letter is an art, it all depends on your rapport with your manager/supervisor. If I were you, I would follow the steps given below, after all you are not moving to a competitor, you are only trying for a better life, which is not wrong at all.

1. Win Confidence - If you can win your manager's confidence, then you can let him know this over a causal chat. The best way to approach is in the form of asking your manager's advise on you moving to another country. Even if you do not like the current job, never ever do the mistake of complaining and citing it as the reason for migration. Instead, try to relate it with your personal aspirations, ambitions and quality of life and what you want to do with your life. If you ask for advise, it is an indirect way of flattering the manager and it will also make him feel that you consider him as a mentor, but do not overdo it :). This approach will definitely work, because we humans by our very nature love to advise others :). Listen to his views on the same, do not get demotivated in case he does not see immigration as a good way to better one's life. In fact, it is his view, and you have anyway made up your mind to migrate. After all, you used this approach only to put this situation to him. If you are successful in this approach, then you have laid the foundation

2. Request Reference - Next ask him whether he would be willing to refer you in case you plan to migrate in future, never give him an indication that it is immediate, otherwise he will feel that you have made up your mind to move and the thoughts of replacing you would be running in his mind. You can give an indication about it and also assure your manager that you will be around for at least a year, so that you safeguard your job even if Canada does not go through as expected. If you put it this way, he will be more than happy and willing to refer you. But sometimes, even if he is willing to refer you, he may not have the right to issue a letter, so that is where the next step comes into picture.

3. Leverage Authority/Position - If you are successful in doing the above, you have crossed 50% of the hurdle. The next important step is to convince HR to issue a letter in the required format. This is a very crucial step, so leverage your manager's authority/position and request your manager to speak to HR on your behalf and convince them about your requirement and also let him assure HR that the whole process would take at least a year (keeping buffer in mind :) ) and you would stick around for the said time being. Yes, this is the difficult part of assuring them, but you need to make a commitment (at least verbally) to stick around - if you need the letter badly, this is the least that you can do. This works in most of the cases, as they know that you may leave sometime in future and if they have to find a replacement, they know when to start the process. If this step does not work, then, from step 2 move to the step below.

4. Letter from Manager - If HR refuses to give you a letter, then ask your manager to issue you a letter on white paper (it should cover all the requisite points), along with a copy of his visiting card and company ID card and get the letter notarized. Submit it along with a Letter of Explanation (LOE).

LOE should cover the following points.
- State the reason why you cannot get a reference letter from employer, if you have any evidence to support you statement, please mention it and also attach it along with the letter.
- In absence of the letter, mention what proactive steps you have taken to prove your work experience.
- Mention the list of documents which you are submitting, in the absence of the reference letter.
- Request the Case Officer to consider your case in light of your situation and also in terms of the proactive steps taken by you to submit best alternative documentary evidence.

All the best! :)
Format for LOE pls