+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

multiple entry from US into Canada with single entry visa

spideey666

Mar 5, 2013
Hello folks,

I am just trying o understand if my understanding is correct. Any one have done this?

Based on what I have read, some one with single entry visit visa going to Canada from US and back to US, can do it multiple times, even though they have a single entry visa. As far as the visa is still valid, we should be good.

is my assumption correct?

Lava64

Mar 11, 2013
Based on this from the CIC website:
"A single-entry visa allows you to enter Canada only one time. Once you have left Canada, excluding travel to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a new visa to travel back to and enter Canada.

If your visa is still valid and you are travelling only and directly to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you do not need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada. If your visa expires prior to returning to Canada from this area, and you are not in possession of a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or temporary resident permit (authorising re-entry), you will need to obtain a new temporary resident visa."

You can re-enter Canada as many times it you travel only and directly to/from the US AND your visa is still valid.

spideey666

Mar 5, 2013
Thanks. Yeah I saw that. I wanted to confirm from people who have used that rule. I also read in some forums about that, this is allowed for six months from the date you enter canada for the first time in that visa.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
this should be helpful

Single-Entry Temporary Resident Visa

If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will generally need a new visa to come back to Canada.
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
Multiple-Entry Temporary Resident Visa

Yes, you can come back to Canada, if you have a multiple-entry temporary resident visa and it has not expired.
Expired Temporary Resident Visa

You can ask to come back to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon, and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
An officer will make sure you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=208&t=17