+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to another province while waiting for PR

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hello
Me and my partner decided to move from Ontario to Nova Scotia for various reasons, mainly financial. I have a valid work and study permit. Got accepted as a protected person last year February, applied for PR, and the estimated time right now is 10 months. How is the process of moving to another province is like, and will it delay it. Thank you

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello
Me and my partner decided to move from Ontario to Nova Scotia for various reasons, mainly financial. I have a valid work and study permit. Got accepted as a protected person last year February, applied for PR, and the estimated time right now is 10 months. How is the process of moving to another province is like, and will it delay it. Thank you
No. It wont delay or speed processing of your application. You only need to update your new address

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
Shouldn’t delay it but if you are receiving legal aid you can no longer use the legal aid of the province you left and will have to switch lawyers. You will have to update your address.

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Didn’t change anything for me. Moved from Ontario to Quebec. Just informed them of change of address

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Shouldn’t delay it but if you are receiving legal aid you can no longer use the legal aid of the province you left and will have to switch lawyers. You will have to update your address.
Usually Legal aid fee is based on the estimated hours counsel will use to prepare your file/submission until hearing. So Applicant can move to other province provided legal fees were paid to counsel..... It is prepaid in most case, It wont affect anything, retainer ends after the hearing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Usually Legal aid fee is based on the estimated hours counsel will use to prepare your file/submission until hearing. So Applicant can move to other province provided legal fees were paid to counsel..... It is prepaid in most case, It wont affect anything, retainer ends after the hearing.
Legal aid is paid by the province so when you leave a province legal aid in another province is supposed to take on your case and be responsible for your fees. For example due to Roxham road a large portion of asylum seekers are entering inQuebec and filing their asylum application in Quebec. If they get a lawyer via legal aid in Quebec, file their application and then move to another province Quebec doesn’t want to retain the financial burden of paying for legal fees for such a large number of asylum claimants not living in Quebec and hopefully paying into the tax base. There may be some exemptions if you move close to your hearing date but you must inform your legal aid lawyer that you have left the province and whether you can continue with them representing you or do you have to find another lawyer in your new province. The other issue is the location of your hearing. Asylum claimants are supposed to update their address when they move and their hearing should be close to the location they are living. If your lawyer is from another province they aren’t going to be willing to travel to another city that is far away unless you’ll be paying their daily rate and travel expenses since the government won’t cover that.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Legal aid is paid by the province so when you leave a province legal aid in another province is supposed to take on your case and be responsible for your fees. For example due to Roxham road a large portion of asylum seekers are entering inQuebec and filing their asylum application in Quebec. If they get a lawyer via legal aid in Quebec, file their application and then move to another province Quebec doesn’t want to retain the financial burden of paying for legal fees for such a large number of asylum claimants not living in Quebec and hopefully paying into the tax base. There may be some exemptions if you move close to your hearing date but you must inform your legal aid lawyer that you have left the province and whether you can continue with them representing you or do you have to find another lawyer in your new province. The other issue is the location of your hearing. Asylum claimants are supposed to update their address when they move and their hearing should be close to the location they are living. If your lawyer is from another province they aren’t going to be willing to travel to another city that is far away unless you’ll be paying their daily rate and travel expenses since the government won’t cover that.
Most hearing are virtual and basic rule is if you move to another province but your matter is still on previous province, you are entitled...Simply, if i have legal aid from Ontario but move to AB while my file is still in Ontario i am covered. Bottom line, Consultation hours are calculated in advance and Lawyer submit to Local Legal Aid/Service to settle. Once this is done, it is done whether you move out of province or you remain. they wont demand money back and you cant go and apply again at AB after final submission of your claim is done, completed and received pending hearing.

c&p from Legal Aid Ontario

If you live in another province or territory but you need legal aid services in Ontario call us toll‑free at 1‑800‑668‑8258 to see if we can help.

If you live in Ontario but your matter is taking place in another province or territory, you must apply with the legal aid plan in the province or territory where your matter is taking place.

Reactions: broccoli13

MH Hussain

Aug 16, 2024
Hi good morning,I was Ontario resident before and applied for my PR from Ontario and then I moved to Quebec, and living here for 6 months and got the CSQ but I am very frustrated about Quebec processing time and also French language.
Is it fine to move back to Ontario again?
Any problem?
Please let me know and thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi good morning,I was Ontario resident before and applied for my PR from Ontario and then I moved to Quebec, and living here for 6 months and got the CSQ but I am very frustrated about Quebec processing time and also French language.
Is it fine to move back to Ontario again?
Any problem?
Please let me know and thank you.
Sure but would be prepared to prove that you have established a life in Ontario if needed since you seem to be going back and forth. IRCC may start asking for more proof that people have actually established a life in another province and not trying to get faster processing times and then move back to Quebec.

Daka1989

Star Member
Aug 7, 2024
Sure but would be prepared to prove that you have established a life in Ontario if needed since you seem to be going back and forth. IRCC may start asking for more proof that people have actually established a life in another province and not trying to get faster processing times and then move back to Quebec.
They willl speed up the princess of PR if client moved in Quebec to another province

• Wow
Reactions: MH Hussain

Sarah Farman

Aug 11, 2024
After applying for PR if one has RTD can he/ she travel out of Canada ?
will that effect PR process or its must to stay inside the country?