Moving from USA(H1B) to Canada(PR)

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simpsonjos said:
What did you guys do ? Did you move to Canada at all or remained in the US on H1B ? I am in a similar situation, my GC is still in process in very initial stages .. Hoped for a EB1 and the company refused and on EB2 .. I have 12 year old and 8 year old daughters and not sure what to do ? I landed in May 2014 and have time until May 2017 to decide, but that will be neck to neck.

Is it worth abandoning the US GC process for the Canadian PR. I am aware of the TN options once we get the Canadian Citizenship. With the PR I guess we can have peace of mind ... US GC is a distant dream unless you are with a good employer to stick around for several years ... Any thoughts ... Not sure what to do ... My wife has a H1B as well and is currently in a different city and commutes on weekends, which is tedious ...
How much in savings do you have? Thats a factor, if its decent, its worth taking a pay cut to go to Canada. You have 2 kids and distance living from wife?

1. Thats not a good quality of life.
2. It has got to be expensive (2 rents, traveling cost)

If I were you I would move to Canada, change job or ask for remote work (either you or wife). I was ready to move last year ,but I got an awesome job with Google like perks, so I am staying, but will eventually move anyway. I don't want a situation with kids and shaky immigration status.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Are you from India? I think the eb2 cutoff for India is like 2008 or something...

simpsonjos said:
What did you guys do ? Did you move to Canada at all or remained in the US on H1B ? I am in a similar situation, my GC is still in process in very initial stages .. Hoped for a EB1 and the company refused and on EB2 .. I have 12 year old and 8 year old daughters and not sure what to do ? I landed in May 2014 and have time until May 2017 to decide, but that will be neck to neck.

Is it worth abandoning the US GC process for the Canadian PR. I am aware of the TN options once we get the Canadian Citizenship. With the PR I guess we can have peace of mind ... US GC is a distant dream unless you are with a good employer to stick around for several years ... Any thoughts ... Not sure what to do ... My wife has a H1B as well and is currently in a different city and commutes on weekends, which is tedious ...

simpsonjos

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
3-May-2010
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
11-May-2010
Med's Request
9-May-2013
LANDED..........
29-May-2014
Thanks Ht7 and ZingyDNA for your reply.

Yes, I am from India. I guess the current EB2 date is Oct 2008. As my GC is still in the initial process, by the time I would get a Jan-Feb 2017 priority date.

My elder daughter will be in her 7th grade and I will be in a bad situation as far as her education is concerned if the current time lines (8-10 years overall processing time) continues.

I wouldn't want to jeopardize her PR/ possible Canadian Citizenship. I feel I would be better off to move to Canada and settle down there and come back to the US on a TN if a need arises (she would be then eligible for scholarships as an international student rather than being on H4), if I have to do that.

I would like to hear from someone who had kids and moved to Canada from the US and how they are doing. Apart from finding a job are there more risks or issues ? I am not at an age group to keep moving around and I would like to settle down in one place. I already made a mistake moving back to India from the US. I want to ensure I am making the right decisions for me and my family.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simpsonjos said:
Thanks Ht7 and ZingyDNA for your reply.

Yes, I am from India. I guess the current EB2 date is Oct 2008. As my GC is still in the initial process, by the time I would get a Jan-Feb 2017 priority date.

My elder daughter will be in her 7th grade and I will be in a bad situation as far as her education is concerned if the current time lines (8-10 years overall processing time) continues.

I wouldn't want to jeopardize her PR/ possible Canadian Citizenship. I feel I would be better off to move to Canada and settle down there and come back to the US on a TN if a need arises (she would be then eligible for scholarships as an international student rather than being on H4), if I have to do that.

I would like to hear from someone who had kids and moved to Canada from the US and how they are doing. Apart from finding a job are there more risks or issues ? I am not at an age group to keep moving around and I would like to settle down in one place. I already made a mistake moving back to India from the US. I want to ensure I am making the right decisions for me and my family.
Wait, how did you come up with a PD of 2017? If your GC process is started today (from scratch), your Labor should be filed in about 6 months max, giving you a PD of September 2016. It seems you don't have all the information about your GC.

Anyway, whether it is 2016 or 2017, there is no guarantee that your Labor and I-140 will be approved. You could wait for 2 years only to find out you have been denied because your lawyer made one small mistake, or you were laid off.

Lets assume everything goes perfectly and you get I-140 with PD of 2016, 8-10 years is wishful thinking. I have been following in depth the inventory calculations and spill overs etc in EB2I GC. Anyone getting a PD now is looking at 12-15 years minimum.
Your kids might age out (be over 21) by the time you get your GC in hand, leaving them with no chance for GC via you. Plus, the expenses in US are huge for their education and health.

Forget about all these optimizations about visa/gc. You as a family should live together and not in different cities! Don't waste 4 lives in search of a piece of plastic, please move to either India or Canada where all of you can stay together.

hereicomecanada

Oct 14, 2012
Hello

I came across this discussion and I am in the same situation as others. GC in process, priority date late 2013 and just got my CoPR. I was planning on visiting Canada for may be 3 days get my PR card and come back and later decide to move or stay here in US for a while. I have couple of questions:

1. Can I visit Canada for 3 days just to apply PR and leave the country?
2. Can I provide my friend's address for CIC to mail my PR card?
3. Would CIC ask me to appear at their office, before issuing the card, for any reason while I am outside the country?
4. Is there a border office that processes immigration near Vancouver or Niagara Falls where I can apply for PR?

I appreciate your time.

Thank you

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
hereicomecanada said:
Hello

I came across this discussion and I am in the same situation as others. GC in process, priority date late 2013 and just got my CoPR. I was planning on visiting Canada for may be 3 days get my PR card and come back and later decide to move or stay here in US for a while. I have couple of questions:

1. Can I visit Canada for 3 days just to apply PR and leave the country?
2. Can I provide my friend's address for CIC to mail my PR card?
3. Would CIC ask me to appear at their office, before issuing the card, for any reason while I am outside the country?
4. Is there a border office that processes immigration near Vancouver or Niagara Falls where I can apply for PR?

I appreciate your time.

Thank you
>> 1. Can I visit Canada for 3 days just to apply PR and leave the country?
Yes, you can technically do that - but I would advice you to keep a little more margin (you can use the extra time to look around and see the place for yourself)
>> 2. Can I provide my friend's address for CIC to mail my PR card?
Yes, that should be fine. Please note that CIC is little picky about photographs on PR cards -- so, better get it done professionally (to avoid any delays). Few thigns to note - photo needs to have photographer address at back etc.. Details at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
>> 3. Would CIC ask me to appear at their office, before issuing the card, for any reason while I am outside the country?
I haven't heard of any case - so if you fill the application properly, provides right set of photos etc. it should be fine.
>> 4. Is there a border office that processes immigration near Vancouver or Niagara Falls where I can apply for PR?
We did the landing entering Canada via Peace Bridge near Blaine,Washington. The CBSA was decent and did fill the forms for us.

hereicomecanada

Oct 14, 2012
shallowpurple said:
>> 1. Can I visit Canada for 3 days just to apply PR and leave the country?
Yes, you can technically do that - but I would advice you to keep a little more margin (you can use the extra time to look around and see the place for yourself)
>> 2. Can I provide my friend's address for CIC to mail my PR card?
Yes, that should be fine. Please note that CIC is little picky about photographs on PR cards -- so, better get it done professionally (to avoid any delays). Few thigns to note - photo needs to have photographer address at back etc.. Details at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
>> 3. Would CIC ask me to appear at their office, before issuing the card, for any reason while I am outside the country?
I haven't heard of any case - so if you fill the application properly, provides right set of photos etc. it should be fine.
>> 4. Is there a border office that processes immigration near Vancouver or Niagara Falls where I can apply for PR?
We did the landing entering Canada via Peace Bridge near Blaine,Washington. The CBSA was decent and did fill the forms for us.

On the Canadian Border Services website, Blaine,Washington does not have immigration services. When did you land there. I wonder if they took that service out today. Thank you

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
My apologies for digressing from the main topic (in reply to "hereicomecanada" questions). @hereicomecanada: Please open another thread if your questions are substantially different from the main thread.

We did the landing via Blaine, WA in March 2015

I will have to correct what I said earlier in response to:
There are indeed some cases - This is one case I saw - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/received-my-pr-card-but-my-husband-did-not-t405256.0.html;msg5066094#msg5066094

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
simpsonjos said:
I already made a mistake moving back to India from the US. I want to ensure I am making the right decisions for me and my family.
Hi simpsonjos
Just wanted to understand what the issues were which made you consider moving back to India from US as a mistake. I can PM or start a separate thread.

Thanks!

simpsonjos

Star Member
Feb 12, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
3-May-2010
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
11-May-2010
Med's Request
9-May-2013
LANDED..........
29-May-2014
Oh, nothing much. I was part of a large multinational company earlier. I was in Omaha, Nebraska and move to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and did not have a choice since I was on a L1 visa. Our second daughter was born here and we did not have much help since neither of our parents could travel. This was in 2008. Tried switching to a H1 twice and did not make in the H1B lottery. Hence we chose to get back to India and I applied for my Canadian PR. However, before the PR came through, the current company that I work for moved me back to the US on H1B. It is two years now since I got the PR, but will potentially lose it if I don't move this year. I am still trying to get a perspective of someone who has lived in the US and eventually moved to Canada to throw some light on this. I understand it is a personal choice, just trying to make an informed decision that will be better for me and my family.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2010, CC 09-09-2010
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
simpsonjos said:
Oh, nothing much. I was part of a large multinational company earlier. I was in Omaha, Nebraska and move to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and did not have a choice since I was on a L1 visa. Our second daughter was born here and we did not have much help since neither of our parents could travel. This was in 2008. Tried switching to a H1 twice and did not make in the H1B lottery. Hence we chose to get back to India and I applied for my Canadian PR. However, before the PR came through, the current company that I work for moved me back to the US on H1B. It is two years now since I got the PR, but will potentially lose it if I don't move this year. I am still trying to get a perspective of someone who has lived in the US and eventually moved to Canada to throw some light on this. I understand it is a personal choice, just trying to make an informed decision that will be better for me and my family.
My .02$.
I would go to Canada in a heartbeat. I have had the pleasure of been there done that and I am actually now back in the US for the GC.

However, in your situation, since you unfortunately could not file in 2008 (even EB2/3), and now EB1 is not possible, you are perhaps looking at a 10 year (or more) wait to get the GC. In my opinion there are just too many ifs and buts in between for you to successfully get the GC (your children could max their age, lay offs, medical issues etc.). Do not think twice and start looking for positions in Canada. I was in Toronto and worked with a good company there, as luckily I was able to move my US position there, but while being there I felt it would not have been hard to get another job once i had the connections.

However, the job market works there very differently than the U.S. and they have this concept of "Canadian Experience" which is way for them to keep the new immigrants at bay from good jobs unless your skill is something which has no supply in the market. That's why you need to look job from here NOW. its a different ball game if you don't have a job when you land there and believe me you don't want to be in that position. I was a fairly senior transfer in my Firm and even for me the undertones I faced as a "new immigrant" were quite obvious.

Also as some posters commented the only decent area for jobs (especially in my field it was) is Toronto in Canada. Montreal you will need French, Ottawa is primarily government, BC/Vancouver is not that big of a market, and most of the rest of Canada is the "Flyover Zone" (Esp now with Alberta tanking with the oil collapse).

Canada is very good for peace of mind and has a better quality of life. Just go to Toronto in summer and you will see well maintained parks, relaxed people and a calmer lifestyle. I never used it but understand that the healthcare system is better and social services (kids schools etc.) are great too. However, all that being said, i must caution you that it is NOT the U.S., so go their without any pre-conceived notions and any expectations and I am sure you will do just fine. Having lived in both countries, there is no doubt in my mind (at least in my opinion) that the level of opportunity in the U.S. is unparalleled, and no other country can beat that. But everyone has different situations in life and if I were in your place, I would look to move to Canada.

- Peace.

Dec 14, 2014
I wanted to share my experience... You may not get any clarification but I will just share it anyway :)

My family( 2 Kids, 5 year & 2.5 year) & I are in same boat(s). 140 Approved with PD Jan,2013. Got PR in 2013 and Moved Last Year to Canada.

I tried to get a job in Canada, But as people discussed its tough market , plus lower salary. Only offer I got was 40% lower ( +Lower $ Value impact).

So......I kept my American job and we moved near to border. Now I commute for my Job. Some time I return same day while at times I return next day.Overall Its Tough to ride two boats, but we plan to do that until we start liking Canada ( Or that's only option) or we get GC!!

We are still trying to settle and trying hard, But we will not mind if we have to continue like this to renew PR or actually get citizenship too !!

Offtopic... any referrals for someone who can handle by tax filing? Need some help for both in US & Canadian.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
H1B_140approved_CanadaPR said:
I wanted to share my experience... You may not get any clarification but I will just share it anyway :)

My family( 2 Kids, 5 year & 2.5 year) & I are in same boat(s). 140 Approved with PD Jan,2013. Got PR in 2013 and Moved Last Year to Canada.

I tried to get a job in Canada, But as people discussed its tough market , plus lower salary. Only offer I got was 40% lower ( +Lower $ Value impact).

So......I kept my American job and we moved near to border. Now I commute for my Job. Some time I return same day while at times I return next day.Overall Its Tough to ride two boats, but we plan to do that until we start liking Canada ( Or that's only option) or we get GC!!

We are still trying to settle and trying hard, But we will not mind if we have to continue like this to renew PR or actually get citizenship too !!

Offtopic... any referrals for someone who can handle by tax filing? Need some help for both in US & Canadian.
Whats your location in Canada (I am guessing Windsor)? And whats your specific field (within IT, if you are in IT)?

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
I am also in similar boat - we have I140 approved (EB2-India) and have been waiting for last 5 years on US GC. We did our landing last year and have time till end of next year to decide but we aren't sure what to do.

The positive thing that we like about Canada is the universal healthcare which I think will matter more as we grow older. Since we are in IT and I am not too hopeful that we will get to keep our jobs when we turn 50+(I see too fewer old folks in my workplace), so employer based healthcare plan will not be available.

Other than that, I do feel US has marginally better job opportunities at the cost of added work-life "inbalance"/stress.

Anyone else who has moved to Canada? Please provide your insight.

kirch

Jan 26, 2010
shallowpurple said:
I am also in similar boat - we have I140 approved (EB2-India) and have been waiting for last 5 years on US GC. We did our landing last year and have time till end of next year to decide but we aren't sure what to do.

The positive thing that we like about Canada is the universal healthcare which I think will matter more as we grow older. Since we are in IT and I am not too hopeful that we will get to keep our jobs when we turn 50+(I see too fewer old folks in my workplace), so employer based healthcare plan will not be available.

Other than that, I do feel US has marginally better job opportunities at the cost of added work-life "inbalance"/stress.

Anyone else who has moved to Canada? Please provide your insight.
I have abandoned my GC processing in US and moved to Canada in 2013

Compared to US ,there are very few IT jobs in Canada.Canada has 3 to 4 Major cities which have IT Jobs ,whereas US has over 30 to 40 cities for IT Jobs
Salary: 30 to 45% less pay and over 60% less ,if you take into account the USD/CAD conversion and taxes
Cost of living may be more in Canada (Toronto,Vancouver or wherever IT jobs exists.But if you take into account free health care over Health Insurance expenses for a family,then cost of living will be almost same
A IT professional with around 10+ yrs exp may get around $80k to $120k (1 CAD= 0.76 USD) .i.e around $60k USD to $90k USD before taxes.Average tax bracket above $80k is 26% to 29% federal and 12% Provincial
Entry level IT Jobs (3 to 6 yrs exp) are very hard to get into and pay very less ($35 k to $50k)
IT Jobs in Canada are very few and competition is high.90% of them are not advertised and get filled through internal references

Coming to lifestyle:It is more or less similar to US,but you will not get good deals or varied shopping choices .The prices are usually 15 to 30% higher than US

The major advantage is you don't have to worry about H1-B/Visa headaches or maintaining status