+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Met residency obligation but uploaded an expired PR card when renewing

Weibar

Jul 19, 2024
I uploaded an PR card expired in 2017 when renewing my PR status with IRCC in June 2024. I have lived in Canada for more than 730 days over the past 5 years and am currently living in Canada. Will the expired PR card affect the success of the renewal?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I uploaded an PR card expired in 2017 when renewing my PR status with IRCC in June 2024. I have lived in Canada for more than 730 days over the past 5 years and am currently living in Canada. Will the expired PR card affect the success of the renewal?
No. Should not.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did you have a more recent card and you neglected to include a copy, or you'd never applied for a renewal before now?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the reply. I hesitated about whether I should have chosen the 'replace a lost PR card' option instead of uploading the card that expired 5 years ago.
You made the right choice, since choosing the `replace a lost PR card' would have been a lie, right?

Weibar

Jul 19, 2024
Then it shouldn't be an issue.

(Probably wouldn't be an issue in the other case, you'd just add a copy of that)
Thank you for addressing my concerns. It's been 22 days since the application. I have a feeling I'll have to wait till late Sep this year.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your response. I just worry that IRCC might challenge me because of that expired card.
There is actually no requirement for a PR to have a valid PR Card. It is always suggested , but not required.

Having said that...your ~7 year old expired card may very well lead to a longer process to validate your residency obligation, but so long as you have indeed met the R.O., you will eventually receive the new card.

Out of curiosity, what 2 pieces of evidence of residing in Canada did you provide?

Weibar

Jul 19, 2024
There is actually no requirement for a PR to have a valid PR Card. It is always suggested , but not required.

Having said that...your ~7 year old expired card may very well lead to a longer process to validate your residency obligation, but so long as you have indeed met the R.O., you will eventually receive the new card.

Out of curiosity, what 2 pieces of evidence of residing in Canada did you provide?
I have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days over the past 5 years and am currently living here. I hired a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) to help me review the documents I prepared, including hotel invoices, pay stubs, a rental agreement, bank statements, and school transcripts.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have stayed in Canada for more than 730 days over the past 5 years and am currently living here. I hired a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) to help me review the documents I prepared, including hotel invoices, pay stubs, a rental agreement, bank statements, and school transcripts.
Wow. You only needed to provide two pieces of evidence...which you could have done yourself.

In any event, you should have smooooth sailing!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hope you didn't pay much fpor this, hyour case is dead simple. And as noted, excessive amounts of info.

And if you paid a consultant, didn't they provide info on the expired card issue?

Your decision anyway. But man, what people pay for.

Reactions: YVR123