+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

medical while waiting for Inland PR and SIN

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what happens regarding medical for the sponsored spouse? my spouse to be takes antidepressants/anxiety drugs.
while waiting for PR on a visitors visa (inland) can he apply for a SIN?

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
I don't know for sure about the medical aspect of your question. I am sure someone will pipe in and tell you if I am wrong. I don't think that is enough to make him medically inadmissible. As for the SIN he can't get one until he is a landed PR as far as I know.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you're applying inland you get an Open Work Permit after stage 1 approval (approx 6 months). You don't get a SIN until you become a permanent resident.

When you do the medical exam they will ask about depression. For psychiatric conditions you sometimes need to get extra doctors notes that the applicant is not a danger to anyone. But in the end it won't cause a PR to get refused.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oh there is no problem with the risk of violence etc he is teacher and works with children and vulnerable people. no no what i mean is this. if he comes in on a visitors visa for the duration of an inland. is he able to go to a dr here for his medication. i am sure he would not be allowed to bring heaps of drugs into the country for 6 - 8 months. plus a uk dr wouldn't give that much medication to anyone

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Kay1 said:
oh there is no problem with the risk of violence etc he is teacher and works with children and vulnerable people. no no what i mean is this. if he comes in on a visitors visa for the duration of an inland. is he able to go to a dr here for his medication. i am sure he would not be allowed to bring heaps of drugs into the country for 6 - 8 months. plus a uk dr wouldn't give that much medication to anyone
I brought six months worth of medication into Canada with me. It was all labeled clearly in the original prescription bottle, prescribed to me, had the original pharmacy label. I don't think it would be a problem. No one questioned me about it. I put it in my checked baggage. The worst is they may have a dog sniff it or open your suitcase to see what the bottle is. Sometimes they get out their book and verify the pills (if possible). (At least they do that in the USA, I don't know for sure about Canada.)

Now, this was allergy medication I am refering to - but still prescription. I told my doctor and the pharmacist I was moving and quitting my job, so I wanted to get my full prescription before losing my health insurance and it was no problem.

As far as seeing a doctor, it depends on your province and his status. If he holds a valid visitor's visa and is married to a legal resident of Alberta, for example, he can be added to his spouse's healthcare. (I am on with my husband and I'm a visitor in AB.) Other provinces are different - usually not as generous.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
If you're applying inland you get an Open Work Permit after stage 1 approval (approx 6 months). You don't get a SIN until you become a permanent resident.
There are 2 types of SIN, temporary (which always starts with "9") and permanent.

A permanent SIN is only given after PR is granted but the temp SIN is given to work permit holders.

Once they are granted PR, they apply for the permanent SIN and Service Canada basically transfers the temp SIN details to the new permanent SIN.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello neighbour, i am in BC. i just have bog standard BC medical. he will be here on a visitors visa before and after we marry and while we wait for inland. jeepers nothing is simple is it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They do like to make things complicated :)

For MSP, make sure you look at this http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks canuck :) looks ok.... need to make sure of this case type 17.