+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam Worries - Overweight

internationalvelvet

Jun 13, 2012
My medical exam is tentatively scheduled for May, just after my fiance and I are eloping; and I'm worried about passing it because I'm overweight. Not just 20lbs overweight, but quite a bit. I've been dieting and exercising and have made a lot of improvement, but I'll still be overweight when it's time for my exam.

Last year I weighed 385 lbs and since then with diet and exercise I've lost 80lbs. I'm committed to losing weight and don't want my weight to keep us apart. By the time of my exam I expect to be around 260lbs, but I'm concerned that it won't be enough.

Would documenting my weight loss somehow and submitting it with our paperwork or giving it to the doctor who does my exam help? I haven't been to a doctor in the last year because I'm pretty healthy and despite the weight have normal blood pressure and blood sugar, so I'm not sure what documentation my physician could provide, though I could go and document this year's weight loss. Is there anything I can do to help ensure that my weight doesn't keep my husband and I apart?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The CIC is only looking for medical conditions that could potentially be a danger to other Canadians (i.e. transmittable ones like Tuberculosis, HIV, etc). Any other medical condition may delay processing if more info is required, but for family class it will NOT affect your eligibility to immigrate to Canada.

Here is a link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/who.asp
Reasons for inadmissibility
health grounds – if their condition is likely to:
endanger public health or public safety, or
cause excessive demands on health or social services (some exceptions exist – see notes 2 and 3)

(3) Some groups of permanent resident applicants are exempt from the excessive demands assessment:
family class sponsored spouses, common-law partners and dependent children

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
I do not think that your weight could be an issue, as being overweight is not a "disease". However, if you have a pre-existing or existing medical condition (diabetes, heart failure, kidney trouble etc), that might cause some problems with your medical results. just like what Rob points out (he did a more technical explanation hehehe)...

As you say, you have been quite healthy despite your weight, means that you dont have to worry about your medical tests. But, the best way to make sure that your results will be ok, is to consult a doctor before you do your actual medical examination for your visa. This way, you would be prepared for it.

good luck and hope everything will go well :)

blessedelaine

Dec 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
61312 mailed out
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
61512 CPC-M received
AOR Received.
82112- thru email
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
No worries! Weight was never an issue.. :) Cheers! Goodluck on your application..