+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam for Family sponsorship

bluebird0479

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Hello everyone

So I am in the process of sponsoring my wife and currently she is in India. So downloaded the forms and it say apply with all the documents including the medical exam to the missisauga office. So my wife booked an appointment for a medical exam in India an then they said, they wont hand the medical exam to her, but they will send it to the canadian embassy in new Delhi. After showing the info in the guide, they said they can provide a photocopy of the first page of the medical report.
I am really confused. The checklist clearly states submit the medical exam report with the application. Does any one know how the medical exam report works?

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
bluebird0479 said:
Hello everyone

So I am in the process of sponsoring my wife and currently she is in India. So downloaded the forms and it say apply with all the documents including the medical exam to the missisauga office. So my wife booked an appointment for a medical exam in India an then they said, they wont hand the medical exam to her, but they will send it to the canadian embassy in new Delhi. After showing the info in the guide, they said they can provide a photocopy of the first page of the medical report.
I am really confused. The checklist clearly states submit the medical exam report with the application. Does any one know how the medical exam report works?
Hi there friend

You are right for been confused (I was too)
Your wife will be handed a medical report "Upfront Medical Report" that has all her details as well as the doctors.
This report does not contain info of the exams results but it only serves as a proof that she did the exams.
On the middle right part of this page there is a Bar coded number which actually is the ID. You send this page along with your apps to Mississauga and the doctors will send the results by special delivery confidential.
So when they at your Visa Office open your apps package they just need to see the Bar Code and match it with the doctors foundings
The doctors will never give you or anyone else in that matter any of the results
We just did my spouses meds 2 days ago so all these are fresh in my mind
Good luck to you both
messenger

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
bluebird0479 said:
Thank you. This helped a lot.
Hi again!

Make sure that you leave the medicals for last because they have an expiry value of 12 months. We did ours on the 31 of January (just 3 days ago) and we are mailing our apps by this coming week.

Good luck

pineapple87

Feb 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/may/13
Doc's Request.
ARC 04/april/14
AOR Received.
01/june/13
File Transfer...
09/july/13
Med's Done....
(2nd time) 19/june/14
Passport Req..
09/july/14
VISA ISSUED...
25/july/14
Hi there!
I'm a little confused. The medical exams have to be submitted upfront? On the CIC website under, "Medical exam requirements for permanent residents" they have, "Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office". I understand they have to be submitted after but the checklist is asking for them upfront? I'm confused :-\

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
pineapple87 said:
Hi there!
I'm a little confused. The medical exams have to be submitted upfront? On the CIC website under, "Medical exam requirements for permanent residents" they have, "Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office". I understand they have to be submitted after but the checklist is asking for them upfront? I'm confused :-\
You do have the option yes. To wait for their notification but for what cost really. To have your apps waiting in limbo until you send them the meds. Maybe someone else can correct me here!
i believe your best bet is to have them done prior to sending your apps and again i say leave them for last days!

Regards
messenger

Farfelu

Star Member
Dec 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-JUN-2012
Doc's Request.
01-AUG-2012
AOR Received.
17-JUL-2012
File Transfer...
12-OCT-2012
Med's Request
01-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
30-AUG-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-APR-2013
messenger said:
You do have the option yes. To wait for their notification but for what cost really. To have your apps waiting in limbo until you send them the meds. Maybe someone else can correct me here!
i believe your best bet is to have them done prior to sending your apps and again i say leave them for last days!

Regards
messenger
for Family Class sponsorships the medicals MUST be done upfront and proof of that should be sent alongside the application forms and supporting evidence at the same time to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario. It's not an option. If you send your application without proof that the medical examination was done, they will return the whole package to you and you will waste precious time and money $$.

So do yourself a favor and get the exams as soon as you have completed gathering the other documentation and include the form given by the medical examiner.

good luck.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Farfelu said:
for Family Class sponsorships the medicals MUST be done upfront and proof of that should be sent alongside the application forms and supporting evidence at the same time to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario. It's not an option. If you send your application without proof that the medical examination was done, they will return the whole package to you and you will waste precious time and money $$.

So do yourself a favor and get the exams as soon as you have completed gathering the other documentation and include the form given by the medical examiner.

good luck.
I stand corrected. Thank you Farfelu for clarifying this! When I was preparing my apps to send them over to CIC-M this is also what I knew. That the meds had to be done upfront

Cheers and thanks again

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 22, 2013 , received as per tracking number August 26, 2013
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
February 07, 2014 (Winnipeg)
hello there, my husband is a permanent resident in Canada and I am here in the Philippines. We already send our application for spousal sponsorship however without proof of medical examination. We thought medical examination will be necessary after we submit our application. Sadly, i read that the same is mandatory and should be incorporated to the whole application.Is it true that if an application was mailed without proof of medical examination,the whole package will be returned? if yes, how long would they mail the application so that we could returned it back to them and include proof of upfront medical? has anyone experienced the same?
My warmest and sincerest thanks.

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning. I hope that someone with a bit more experience than I have will join in this chat and clarify the issue but pending that development I would like to point out that the CIC page concerning medical examinations appears to have been revised radically on 24 July 2013, just 3 days ago. When I applied, in May 2013, medical exams had to be taken before sending off the application package to Mississauga, because the first page of the report, proving that the medical had been taken, had to be included with the application package: that requirement appeared on the checklist. When I took the medical (in Canada) in April the doctor explained to me that the report, containing a barcode, was sent electronically to Ottawa (not Mississauga) and that when the application package was received by Mississauga the electronic link on the first page of the report was scanned and the whole report joined up at that stage with the application package. The immigration service strike appears to have created a new situation ( I am guessing here) because applications are now taking longer to process risking many medicals losing their 12 month validity before the application is fully processed. So now if I understand the process correctly there is a choice either of waiting to have the medical done once it is requested or taking it upfront. That latter alternative is only available to a limited category of applicants. I have not checked whether the documents checklist has caught up with this new development but previous posts under this subject heading suggest that it has not. If you google CIC medical exam results you can get to the new announcement dated 24th July 2013 without difficulty.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Here's the link.... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have now had time to check the document checklist (IMM 5491) and sure enough that is still in the old form requiring the medical report to be sent with the application. I suggest that applicants who want to rely on the first option (ie to get the medical done when CIC asks for it) add a note to the checklist pointing out that the checklist is out of date and that he/she opts for the first alternative in the announcement dated 24th July 2013 (ie the medical will be taken when demanded by CIC).

estrada

Dec 13, 2013
Hi to all. Can anyone knows what are the forms needed to bring on the day of medical examination? Thank you so much.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
estrada said:
Hi to all. Can anyone knows what are the forms needed to bring on the day of medical examination? Thank you so much.
Passport
Photos
Passport copies first and last page
Check for panel doctor who can do e medicals which city u r from

jonny_rotten

Jul 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (applied to London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/07/2014
File Transfer...
09-09-2014
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me the latest on this topic? Is it required to send a medical in with the initial application or wait until it is requested? We have 1 year until we plan to move over from the UK.

Also, I have read somewhere that you must submit a medical and police check for every member of your family that you may wish to sponsor in the future. My Canadian wife is sponsoring me so does that mean that i need to submit medicals and police checks for my parents and brother & sister just in case I might want to sponsor them in the future? Seems expensive given that a medical is £300 per person. We have no children yet though our first is due in December.

Thanks for your help!