+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Leave during application process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I have applied for PR under AIP pilot program, and my application is in processing. Everything is completed about me abut, but my wife's X-Ray postpones until after the baby's delivery because of her pregnancy.

Unfortunately, my wife is having a difficult pregnancy and needs care, and since we don't have anyone in Canada to care for my pregnant wife, I want to get unpaid leave for 5 months to care for my wife.

I want to make sure that this unpaid leave with an exact date of return to work will affect the process of reviewing my case, and can it cause a problem?
Do I have to announce this leave to IRCC?

I had an after graduate work permit when I applied to PR. Can I extend my work permit while on unpaid leave?

Thank you in advance for your guiding me!
No you won’t be able to apply to extend WP if on unpaid leave. You’ll also have to update IRCC about any changes in your work status so your unpaid leave from your employer. When does your PGWP end because that is likely tied to healthcare coverage for you and your family?

mesmaeilzadeh

Apr 17, 2022
No you won’t be able to apply to extend WP if on unpaid leave. You’ll also have to update IRCC about any changes in your work status so your unpaid leave from your employer. When does your PGWP end because that is likely tied to healthcare coverage for you and your family?
Thank you very much for your reply.

My Work Permit will expire on 22 September 2022!

Given that my wife is giving birth on August 12 and we can complete the X-ray by August 20, is there a need to extend the work permit?

17 February 2022, IRCC asked me to complete our medical exams! I think our permanent residence should be issued as soon as my wife's medical exams are over!

Please let me know if unpaid leave has any effect on my application process?