+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters to PhD in Canada

Tomisra

Jun 7, 2023
Thanks for your reply. Actually, my MS will be ongoing then. I can have my degree of completion within may..meanwhile I will try to manage a phD offer..Since my study permit for MS upto April, I will apply for extension in Jan 2025. If I dnt get verdict within April 25, I will be automatically in implying status. So my plan is to obtain the degree of completion for MS within May and then apply for PhD study permit (second application) while on Implying status, will that be okay?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Thanks for your reply. Actually, my MS will be ongoing then. I can have my degree of completion within may..meanwhile I will try to manage a phD offer..Since my study permit for MS upto April, I will apply for extension in Jan 2025. If I dnt get verdict within April 25, I will be automatically in implying status. So my plan is to obtain the degree of completion for MS within May and then apply for PhD study permit (second application) while on Implying status, will that be okay?
Either I'm not understanding what you are trying to say or you're missing the point. Let me rephrase, what's the basis of your student permit extension request in January? Also, if your extension is refused, it might leave you out of status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How can you apply for study permit extension in January if you don't get your PhD acceptance until May or when you have completed Masters? Pretty sure IRCC won't issue a study permit extension based on anticipated acceptance.

IMO, you should wait till May to apply for study permit extension. You go on maintained status (as a student) and begin your PhD while IRCC processes your extension. If PhD doesn't work out or you change your mind, you apply for PGWP then.
They would get an extension until after their masters degree ends which needs to be done no matter what. Then they can apply to extend again to do the PhD