+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married in ca as a visitor

Dede91

Apr 6, 2022
Hi I have a question I’m a uk citizen and my husband is a Canadian we got married in ca this year on February but my Question is I came to ca as a visited I’m allowed to stay only for 6 months but we are in process of sponsoring and we are still waiting for our marriage certificate and next month will be my 6 month in ca the Question is should I till waiting here in ca I’m I allowed to till stay or I have to go back to uk and come back help please thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I have a question I’m a uk citizen and my husband is a Canadian we got married in ca this year on February but my Question is I came to ca as a visited I’m allowed to stay only for 6 months but we are in process of sponsoring and we are still waiting for our marriage certificate and next month will be my 6 month in ca the Question is should I till waiting here in ca I’m I allowed to till stay or I have to go back to uk and come back help please thanks
You need to apply for an extension if you want to stay beyond six months.

Reactions: Dede91

Dede91

Apr 6, 2022
Thank you so much for your help
Thanks a lot our marriage certificate came today we are about to apply for the sponsorship do we need to apply for both ? The extension and sponsorship knowing that my visitor status will expired next month on the 12 Thanks

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Thanks a lot our marriage certificate came today we are about to apply for the sponsorship do we need to apply for both ? The extension and sponsorship knowing that my visitor status will expired next month on the 12 Thanks
Hi, and congratulations,

Yes, both. What you're doing in immigration terms is maintaining your temporary residence status (visitor) and applying for permanent residence status (spousal sponsorship for Permanent Residence).

If you maintain your temporary residence status as a visitor while the whole sponsorship thing progresses then you will be eligible for a work permit after they grant Approval-In-Principle (AIP). A work permit going forward will represent your valid temporary residence status in Canada and it then replaces the Visitor's Record. You won't need a visitor's record and a work permit at the same time.

In technical terms (because immigration is only about technicalities), you will be a visitor with authorization to engage in employment subject to any conditions of the work permit, and an inland applicant for permanent residence with Approval-In-Principle (AIP).

AIP means that they're satisfied that it's a genuine relationship and now you'll be screened medically, criminally and for security. When all of the comes back positive then they'll "land" you.

Landing is a legal term and a landed immigrant is the same thing as a permanent resident.

So, now that I've probably been more confusing than I'd wish - get the visitor's record, get AIP on the sponsorship, get a work permit, let them get all of the security, criminal and medical evaluations, get landed. Live happily ever after.

Cheers

Reactions: Dede91

Dede91

Apr 6, 2022
Hi - You'll be applying for a "Visitor's Record."
Hi, and congratulations,

Yes, both. What you're doing in immigration terms is maintaining your temporary residence status (visitor) and applying for permanent residence status (spousal sponsorship for Permanent Residence).

If you maintain your temporary residence status as a visitor while the whole sponsorship thing progresses then you will be eligible for a work permit after they grant Approval-In-Principle (AIP). A work permit going forward will represent your valid temporary residence status in Canada and it then replaces the Visitor's Record. You won't need a visitor's record and a work permit at the same time.

In technical terms (because immigration is only about technicalities), you will be a visitor with authorization to engage in employment subject to any conditions of the work permit, and an inland applicant for permanent residence with Approval-In-Principle (AIP).

AIP means that they're satisfied that it's a genuine relationship and now you'll be screened medically, criminally and for security. When all of the comes back positive then they'll "land" you.

Landing is a legal term and a landed immigrant is the same thing as a permanent resident.

So, now that I've probably been more confusing than I'd wish - get the visitor's record, get AIP on the sponsorship, get a work permit, let them get all of the security, criminal and medical evaluations, get landed. Live happily ever after.

Cheers
Thanks a lot
Wow Thank you so much for taking your time to clarify me I appreciate thanks may God bless u abundantly
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, apply for both.